Login

russian armor

Starcraft 2

13 Nov 2013, 18:25 PM

All these microtransaction relic milking $$$ tactics are annoying me and I think it's only a matter of time before game dies. vCOH was better so...

I have never tried SC2. I know the competitive scene is quite big, but does it have any pay 2 win bs? Micro transactions which fuck with the core gameplay?
13 Nov 2013, 18:40 PM

When I last played no, it did not. Collector's editions would get unique avatars (essentially the exact same concept as special faceplates) or certain cosmetic "skins" for a unit or two, but nothing affected the stats of the units, or the ability to produce units.

The biggest problem, from my perspective, with SC2 is that the truly competitive scene is essentially impossible to break into. The Koreans, and to a lesser extent Europeans have the infrastructure in place to support people playing the game 10+ hours per day. The mechanics and instincts that these players develop are impressive, but discouraging. I spent a lot of time laddering when the game was new and got decently high (top 10 in my master's league) but when I compared myself to people in the Grand Master league, they wouldn't even break a sweat beating me. The game is very "solved" and there is significantly less tactical depth in SC2 and lot more super fast paced micro you have to learn.

The game was fun for a while, but simply lacks the tactical depth that CoH2 provides. The games are more repetitive and maps have (at least at my level) less of an impact on build orders/timings/strategies. Just prepare yourself for a steep learning curve, and no chance to become a well-known/respected member of the community if you choose to play SC2.
19 Nov 2013, 20:55 PM

There is no pay to win, although the zergling alternate skin is really annoying :p

In CoH and CoH2 anyone with half a brain can be considered good at the game, in SC2 the skill level is immense and you'll find it very taxing on your mechanics.

I'd say give it a try, it's one of the most competitive games out there :)
19 Nov 2013, 20:59 PM

I tried SC2 as everyone, the game optimizations, mechanics, and timings drove me crazy ! I didn't enjoyed the game at all tbh.
Purli is right.. You don't need to be a magician to bring up a good fight on vcoh.. In SC2, sometime, you just play vs some imba crazy dudes..
19 Nov 2013, 21:40 PM

SC2 was a lot of fun at first. I reached 1v1 Grandmaster for 2 seasons before getting bored by the meta game. There just isn't as much strategic depth as SC1. It comes down too much to pure mechanics/APM.

Terran vs Terran was quite awesome though, and my favorite.
19 Nov 2013, 22:17 PM

Starcraft 2 would be fun if there was cover, if units didn't path through each other so well, and if terrain mattered for things beyond LOS.
20 Nov 2013, 09:31 AM

^There's actually a lot more to the terrain than just LoS. Xel'Naga, ramps, chokes, destructible rocks, LoS hiding woods, etc. You're right in how the units don't actually 'interact' with the terrain like in coh though.

Army placement is extremely important. What I dislike about SC2 is there's no real reason for non-deathball centric play, i.e. not splitting your army up. Sure, you might harass with some drops, but you simply need your army clumped up to fight their clumped up army.

Obviously it isn't as black and white as that (you have to consider storms and such in TvP, widow mines in ZvT, etc.) but when you have a battle it's usually just at one place on the map. That being said, seeing a zerg completely surround a terran army from all flanks is sick :D
21 Nov 2013, 05:58 AM
Honorary Member Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Nov 2013, 22:17 PMDanielD
Starcraft 2 would be fun if there was cover, if units didn't path through each other so well, and if terrain mattered for things beyond LOS.

disagree heavily trying to make sc series more like coh series (or vice versa) would ruin what makes each game unique and fun.
12 Dec 2013, 15:51 PM

I aprove what has ben said before.

The skill level requiered for sc2 is way way higher than coh, and the APM requiered to keep up is much higher as well.

I used to play a lot when I had time(now i don't play anything) and it's quite hard, but everything's possible: i got to Masters in 3 months so you could as well.

Oh and no, SC2 doesn't have microtransitions and won't have them ^^
12 Dec 2013, 15:53 PM

it's too late man. you're too old. 99% of the people you will be facing are already better than you and more read up on it.

should have started when you were 9
12 Dec 2013, 15:59 PM

it's too late man. you're too old. 99% of the people you will be facing are already better than you and more read up on it.

should have started when you were 9

WE Need to raise his APM up to 400-600, so he can be a match.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 33
South Africa 2
Russian Federation 62

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak