Login

russian armor

CoH3 feature suggestion: Firing Range

21 Apr 2020, 00:33 AM

First of all this is an open discussion thread. Enjoy participating and sharing. Disagree freely at will.
Secondly, this is a CoH3 concept suggestion. Since there is no release date for it still, dont get your hopes too high. If this thread is better placed anywhere, pls a mod help me moving it.

What i suggest here is a simple but useful mechanic mainly for ATGs, that could use some implementation for vehicles too.

Imagine being able to set up, in a very intuitive way (explained later) a range threshold at wich the ATG will open fire, this way the player can choose if the ATG will go for a secure, shorter range, shooting or a riskier but safer shot at max range.

There are some limitations though. Since there is no information of how CoH3 would be, i am assuming that will be many features from CoH2 moved into CoH3. Therefore when you set up an ATG, a display cone will show the effective range and the limits of its firing space.
At the same moment, when holding the left mouse button, the player can set the threshold for the firing range, the farer the longer the range, you get the idea.

Because no one wants in the rush of battle to missclick an atg and set it to 0 range, this option only takes place after the player has dragged at lest 50% of the ATG effective range. Making it intuitive and quick enough to be useful. Below 50% range it is simply max range firing.
A clear outline will be shown at the range the player decides to set the threshold, maybe with the same dotted line max range weapons have currently

What i want to achieve is give the player another level of control over RNG, if you know the enemy player is using heavier armor you could set the ATGs to shorter range, instead of waste shots that will surely bounce. Some AI could be implemented to keep things practical, for example if an ATG is being engaged by some tank at farer ranges than the defined one, the ATG could fire back. Maybe there is no need to implement such thing, but there is a lot of room for improvement still.

To vehicles the same feature could be used but as a specific skill, that encourages flanking, reducing effective range for some extra pen. There is no real benefit for vehicles to use a vector style configurator for a firing range threshold.

21 Apr 2020, 15:21 PM

Yep, cant see any downsides to that
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight