Login

russian armor

What keeps you from enjoying coh3?

12 May 2024, 05:32 AM

However, fixing those would be largely irrelevant to me if the off-maps aren't changed.

edit: After playing a bit more, I think the generally "spammability" and "blobbing" might actually be worse than the off-maps. There just aren't enough tools to effectively punish blobs, at least until late game.

I dont know any player ever that likes single click magic off map. Its also really hard to balance. How much is too much.

But the spam issue I think may have driven the arty. Each faction needs a calliope or Katy that is effective. And from what I hear from players, that does not exist. The next best thing could be one click area denial abilities? Like Coh3 arty?

It is complicated because what Coh3 lacks are the things people complain about from Coh2: Large tanks and massive wipe rocket artillery vehicles. Which is also the fun thing that makes the play super dynamic in team games. But it is also cancer if not tuned well.

If it is too strong, every game is just arty spam. If it is too weak(coh3), everyone spams units and blobs like monkeys.

I feel like Relic tried to have area denial arty and then tune MGs to find the sweet spot.

But I hear the same thing over and over from Coh2 fans, there is too much to change for Coh3 to ever be good.
- Inf tuning. TTK issue.
- MG tuning. Blob issue.
- New rocket arty vehicles. Blob issue.
- Tank Crush. Blob issue.
- Take more damage on retreat. No get out of jail free clicks. Tactics issue.
- Light vehicles too strong. Vehicle blob issue.

Since no one really streams 2v2 and up, it is hard to say what Coh1 fans feel about Coh3 from their streams. Most are 1v1 players who may dabble in 2v2 occasionally.

A possible quick fix would be hidden demos with a large AOE that don't do too much damage. You severely weaken a blob but dont wipe many of them. This lets a 1v1 player just retreat and heal, but not lose anything. And 4v4 blobs would become very weak and vulnerable. Then the retreat costs lost time on the field and some resources. So blobbing becomes a punishment as it should. The demo price would need to be adjusted so it cant be spammed in a 1v1. 125 munis etc.

Another fix, everyone gets an AVRE type vehicle. You blob on me, I will Avre your blob and win in one shot. I am a fan of this because it forces some micro tax. You dont just click somewhere and forget it. It also taxes your repair ability.

Ultimately Coh3 needs to start heading in the Coh2 direction.

But what do I know. I am just some nub. I dont even play these games.
12 May 2024, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Have to disagree on this point. If you're playing casual or against AI, the offmaps are a boon. Because they don't need micro, they are easy to coordinate. You don't have to look away, wait for some arty vehicle to be in range or whatever. Just click. Finally you have time to watch the carnage instead of needing to constantly give orders. Just waiting in hope for those squads not to run away and then seeing them getting blown up is satisfying as hell.
They are important to the game, just like kill counts and bridge maps. CoH2's railway arty was exceptionally well done from sound and visual perspective.

The competitive crowd does not like offmaps for good reasons, but competitive is not the only way to play CoH
14 May 2024, 08:43 AM

+1 to Rosbone's post, sums it all up really.

COH2 did used to be a mess, and took quite some adjusting before we got to where we are today. Theoretically, in coh3 if counter blob abilities can be buffed, forward healing and TTK tweaked, it might start to feel a more enjoyable game.

Fair point from Hannibal, I wonder if its ever been considered to have slightly tweaked abilities for AI skirmish Vs MP modes, its probably too complicated to implement, but would be cool if you could keep all the big boom stronmg abilities for casual players, but have them much toned down and balanced for MP.
14 May 2024, 17:20 PM

Have to disagree on this point. If you're playing casual or against AI, the offmaps are a boon. Because they don't need micro, they are easy to coordinate.

The competitive crowd does not like offmaps for good reasons, but competitive is not the only way to play CoH

I can agree skirmish is different. But even then I dont think players want to click a button and win. They want some level of involvement. Like strafes, the wehr rocket strike, etc. They want to enact the action. So I am 50/50 on Skirmish.

There are times when one click win is great in skirmish. Like when you build up some line and it is starting to get overrun. Click a button and push them back so you can rebuild and not lose 45 minutes of unit building and setup.

When I skirmished, I liked to be on the hairy edge of losing. So I would have 2-3 hour games with constant action. And one clicks can be a life saver.

Okay so I am more 70/30 with Hannibal :snfPeter:

14 May 2024, 19:41 PM

There should me a lot more Skillshot MEchanics in this game, like the firefly Tulip.

Quick Idea: Strafing run counterplay: AA units have cone of fire and you can direct them the direction where you assume the strafe comes.
14 May 2024, 22:35 PM

There should me a lot more Skillshot MEchanics in this game, like the firefly Tulip.

Quick Idea: Strafing run counterplay: AA units have cone of fire and you can direct them the direction where you assume the strafe comes.

I like all of this.
2 users are browsing this thread: 2 guests

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS