Login

russian armor

How to Counter Axis as Soviets?

23 Sep 2019, 21:24 PM

So i have around 400 hours, been playing on an off for like 3 years.

I main soviets and i genuinely can NOT for the life of be combat Axis tanks.

T34/76 is amazing against Panzer 4s.

Anything better than a Panzer 4 absolutely dumps on any soviet tanks.

T34/85's rounds bounce so much on Panthers, KV 1's can't pen panthers, they are basically just Armoured T 34/76's.

And when Axis finally bring out the Tiger i have nothing that can combat it.

SU 85's are good, but it's a glass cannon and dies fairly quick.

23 Sep 2019, 21:32 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

su85 has very high penetration and good RoF and 60 range. Keep it behind your forces to shield and sight for it and it will reward you. t34s are great in numbers, however understanding the key differences between the 2 allows for better decision making on which of them to use. KV-1 is a great damage soaker, but don't expect it to be soloing anything above a p4. It pairs fantastically with the su85 glass cannon persona.
23 Sep 2019, 22:45 PM

Late Game it's important to have a strong infantry force to support your tanks and create decisive engagements. I would recommend you have Guards and AT grenades/satchels to protect an SU85 alongside any tanks you choose to field. Lots of Soft AT makes it very risky for your opponents to be aggressive and easy for you to do so.

If You don't prefer guards I would be sure to use a doctrine with the IS2 or Kv2 as those can stand up to most axis tanks. The IS2 in particular with 375 armor dominates p4's with only 110 frontal penetration and will handily 1v1 a panther once it gets vet2 with 50 range.

I would also note that the ZIS gun is one of the better at guns as soviets because of the crew and squad size they will take many shots to decrew and stop cons from manning the guns.

The T34-76, 85 and KV1 are cost effective as anti infantry tanks but won't trade more than 1 to 1 with comparable armor. You need to use them to kill all the enemy infantry, create space for your own AT guns, and or use the SU85 to supplement your AT firepower.
24 Sep 2019, 04:47 AM

@hon3ynuts I appreciate the information. I never really use penals. I more so spam 4 to 6 conscripts. Build MG to lock down an area whilst I use cons+mortar to push.

I find it very difficult to assault a German position with tanks due to normally being raped with panzershreks+normal unit AT. But I will try what you said. Thanks
24 Sep 2019, 04:48 AM

su85 has very high penetration and good RoF and 60 range. Keep it behind your forces to shield and sight for it and it will reward you. t34s are great in numbers, however understanding the key differences between the 2 allows for better decision making on which of them to use. KV-1 is a great damage soaker, but don't expect it to be soloing anything above a p4. It pairs fantastically with the su85 glass cannon persona.

Thanks man, I guess I am still learning combined arms. I’ll take your advice
20 Oct 2019, 22:35 PM

Abuse the m5 troop carrier halftrack.
Put guards in it, or if your a dirty player like me, play partisans, and put 2 partysan shreks in m5 and drive around their tank.
Or be even dirtyier, get 4 shreks in 2 m5s. If you lose the halftracks and kill the tank, you traded 60 fuel for +100 fuel
21 Oct 2019, 00:06 AM

Mines and Demolition charges are great.

A crippled Tiger (engine is damaged when he hits a mine) is often easy to kill.

Demolition Charges are good to get an infantry advantage. However using them is a bit difficult, because your enemy can see them as well. I would recommend to place them behind sightblockers or inside bushes. Skippyfix uses them a lot in his stream. You might get some ideas how to use demos there.
25 Jan 2020, 03:01 AM

with the tiger in Its current form, you will need 2 SU85's and at least a Zis to deal wit it, then you will get raped by infantry, do not put infantry in front of armour as the tiger will squad wipe a whole squad per shot, also it will wipe a Zis with one shot, also don't expect to win as Soviets anyway, Relic certainly don't want you too :D
25 Jan 2020, 03:19 AM

Double Zis and 1 SU-85 is enough to counter a single Tiger imo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS