Login

russian armor

What all this talk about rage?

1 Nov 2013, 17:28 PM

I keep hearing people talk about rage in this game and got to wonder do people really get in a state of rage because of the game? The only form of rage that I usually witness on regular bases is road rage and there yes you can see people in a state of rage, but in a game?

I mean I used to have a teammate who when things start getting out of his control he would panic and scream and say foolish things like "I hate this game" and "this game is shit" and best one "where are you!!!!!" (lol), but it would never reach the level of rage or does it?
1 Nov 2013, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Nov 2013, 17:28 PMAbdul
I keep hearing people talk about rage in this game and got to wonder do people really get in a state of rage because of the game? The only form of rage that I usually witness on regular bases is road rage and there yes you can see people in a state of rage, but in a game?

I mean I used to have a teammate who when things start getting out of his control he would panic and scream and say foolish things like "I hate this game" and "this game is shit" and best one "where are you!!!!!" (lol), but it would never reach the level of rage or does it?

Well said Abdul, dont blame others for your mistakes, and about the use of some OP units and bad cutoffs for that you can only blame relic.

No offence to relic, im sure COH2 will become just as good as COH1
1 Nov 2013, 22:13 PM

Permanently Banned
Why wouldnt it.

Rage is a normal human emotion.

Im pretty sure, judging from some of your responses, that some of my posts have led you to near apoplectic rage. Or so it seemed to me.
1 Nov 2013, 23:55 PM

2 Nov 2013, 04:56 AM

Usually I end up getting mad at myself for not being good enough at the game, or at my lack of foresight (not preparing for the semi-inevitable Flame Halftrack etc).

Occasionally, in team games, I'll get mad at my teammates for not adequately helping deal with enemy units, but I've been playing less 3v3 lately to keep that to a minimum.

But yeah, people get really invested in their performance in games, and it can cause tensions to run pretty high. I've seen people threaten to *curb stomp* the balance designer on the COD games for changes to how the weapons work. People get *crazy* invested in their games.
2 Nov 2013, 05:03 AM

Thanks for sharing this, its really good and I like the part about the physiological reasons, but I disagree with his conclusion that anger makes players perform better. Maybe in some games, but in a relatively long strategy game (25-40min) I think it can hurt, because it reduces the players ability to assess his situation and develop plans.

In fact, sometimes I watch streamers and many of the good ones (ex: Stephen) don't get angry at all let alone reach a level of rage and they still play very good.

One thing to add is that kind of anger can lead to some serious physiological damage and the first casualty is usually the digestive system in the form of stress related diseases like IBS and Reflux or permanent disease like diabetes.
2 Nov 2013, 05:04 AM

I've seen people threaten to *curb stomp* the balance designer on the COD games for changes to how the weapons work. People get *crazy* invested in their games.

lol, by any chance do u have a video link for that?
2 Nov 2013, 05:05 AM
Honorary Member Badge

the argument is whether people do but is it unhealthy/reasonable.
2 Nov 2013, 05:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Nov 2013, 05:04 AMAbdul

lol, by any chance do u have a video link for that?

It wasn't a video. IIRC it was someone on my Facebook feed sharing a link a couple months ago. I read the comments under that link and was pretty shocked.

If you want some serious gamer rage though check out Angry Joe Show:

http://angryjoeshow.com/videos/
2 Nov 2013, 05:50 AM

Rage is a word that is slapped on for slightest reaction by any player during the game.

For example: 'I hate this map' 'Soviets are OP'

Or one player saying to another one: 'LOL noob' and getting response FU will be considered as act of rage.

That is majority of 'rage' accusations. Just a fashionable word to use.

Second type of accusing people of ragging:

'The Rage' is perception One has of his opponent after the loss, and has more to do with his own glorification and narcissistic view of how it was his actions that caused someone else to rage, then someone raging in reality. (someone leaving the game, hasn't just left. They rage quit, etc)

If you don't see to many people 'ragging' that means you do not have narcissistic disorder...

People who actually do rage, do not type. They break their keyboard, monitor and punch holes in the wall..

So no, there isn't much ragging going on around
2 Nov 2013, 08:27 AM

I would certainly agree that coh can cause rage. I used to get extremely angry when I was trying to learn coh1, which I came to late hence having to fight experienced players constantly.

The same can be said for my old flat mate, who despite rating coh as one of the best games ever, had to stop playing it because it enfuriated him so much. (and he is a lead level designer for a big games studio).

The main reasons I think coh can make people mad is because:

1) its such an amazing game, that we really want to win at it.

2) Unless you are very experienced at the game, simply not understanding why you are losing/ have lost, enduces rage, because all you see is the 'OP unit' or blob of troops etc.. not the 50 mistakes you made before that point to allow it to happen.

It takes a lot of practise, just to compete at a reasonable level.. never mind win.

Luckily, as you understand the game more, you realise your losing a game much earlier.. so when a game breaking unit /combo turns up, you were already expecting it, and it is not rage enducing anymore.

Luckily for me, I seem to fare much better in coh2, and dont really get mad. I tend to put this down to being on more of a level playing field with the player base, in terms of amount of practise. And I guess just generally not being as much of a newb.
2 Nov 2013, 08:33 AM

Permanently Banned
Guess it depends on what you direct your rage at. Balance? The opponent? Yourself?

Its a very thin line between keeping it to yourself and typing it out.

I am certain though, that far more players rage, than what is apparent from chat.

Most people just dont type it out, whereas if you saw them IRL they are actually shouting, grinding their teeth and quite angry.
4 Nov 2013, 17:09 PM

Yesterday I played against a guy who wrote me like 5 times in the chat that he wants my mom to die after I KILLED HIS UNIT IN A VIDEOGAME. It only made me laughing but if any game is ever going to piss me off so much then I'll just quit playing.
5 Nov 2013, 01:13 AM

Guess it depends on what you direct your rage at. Balance? The opponent? Yourself?

Its a very thin line between keeping it to yourself and typing it out.

I am certain though, that far more players rage, than what is apparent from chat.

Most people just dont type it out, whereas if you saw them IRL they are actually shouting, grinding their teeth and quite angry.

like nullist said, it is just about impossible for person in the state of the rage to type.

People rage, but you cannot be certain unless you actually see them.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★