Login

russian armor

Is the Soviets underpowered in team games?

1 Nov 2013, 11:22 AM

Is the Soviets underpowered in team games or is the OH just easier to play with? I've played SU for a while because that's the faction we started out trying to play with in our clan but we have moved on to OH since they just felt easier to handle and the results followed. If you managed to survive until late game it's still not much you can do against the OH doomstack of heavy armor despite the larger quantity you have of inferior tanks unless your enemies are really stupid. In my experience 2vs2 is fairly balanced but anything from 3vs3 and up is just a nightmare as an SU player. It's also not uncommon to see +75% searching games as Germans, even on a Saturday evening:

From what I understand the game is largely balanced to please 1vs1 players but doesn't Relic give any attention to the large amount of players who play this for fun WITH (not against) their friends in team games and have no ambitions in becoming the new Inverse?

What can be done to make Soviets more appealing for the large player base that prefer team games?

Short answer, no.
1 Nov 2013, 12:34 PM

Permanently Banned
1) Map design
2) Improving match making parameters for random teams.
3) An exclusive MP button for actual teams who are sitting, together, in the que, to be matched against other ready teams.
4) I woyld think that Commander synergy can he equally "abused" by both factions, when it is properly premeditated. Sorry,but there is no escape feom this fact. Teams MUST cooredinate their builds for victory.
5) Resource income/cost differences for 2v2+ would require an enormous amount of Dev time and testing, basically doubling/trippling/quadrupeling the required effort to balance, with each subsequent patch, as stemming from 1v1. Iz not possible.

How to survive in MP:
-NEVER play with randoms.
-Plan with team BEFOREHAND, who builds what.
-Ingame communication is absolutely mandatory.
-Pinging
-Typing
-Voice comm
In that order of importance, from least to most.

Im sorry but 2v2+ hinges on ABUSING the existing balance system, to its utmost, in your favor, with deliberate, concerted, premeditated and planned action.

In 1v1 its only you. In 2v2+ ,you MUST have your teams shit straightened out and planned BEFOREHAND.In the same way that in a ny team sport, the team follows a universal plan, with everyone performing a function, so it is for teamplay in esports.
1 Nov 2013, 14:28 PM

I don't know about 3v3 and 4v4 (as these modes are inherently unbalanced even in games like Starcraft) but in 2v2 the Soviets get by just fine. Having full access to the tech tree usually means than a player can delay the Germans while the other builds his buildings and holds the line until getting T-34s out. There are a vast number of possible strategies if you play correctly, and the Soviets sure as hell have an easier time in 2v2.
3 Nov 2013, 16:36 PM

currently ranked 100,000 4v4 as Soviet, took me 3 games to get to 4000 in 1v1. I feel your pain, I feel like crying when I see what total noobs i play with/vs.

What I mean by map design: If you have maps with a lot of LoS obstacles and not much open ground, you always gonna struggle to counter Panthers with SU85's and t34's. They are easily flankable by armor and PG's. You cannot fight effectively among city building with Su85's or Zis and have no true AT infantry.

If you have maps that are fully open, than Germans are fucked because they gonna get raped by SU85's long range and snipers.

You can make combination of those features on the map to equalize the armies.

I wouldn't have high hopes of Relic doing and testing this, but once they release map making tools there will be some good maps created by community (like COH Redball).

Which would only leave the problem of matchmaking sucking

OK, I get your point. And the good example of what you are saying is the way the germans almostalways stomp the late game right and center of City 17.
4 Nov 2013, 01:31 AM

OK, I get your point. And the good example of what you are saying is the way the germans almostalways stomp the late game right and center of City 17.

Yup, exactly
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS