Login

russian armor

Pace of teching

21 Oct 2013, 12:12 PM

I was wondering if anyone was happy with the current pace of teching. I thought that over time I would learn to like the faster teching over vcoh but it's begun to make those infantry fights that I really enjoyed back in the day over far too quick. Also, I miss the feeling of seeing tanks and it being a real oh shit moment, or maybe not so "oh shit" if I had properly prepared. Does anyone feel the same way?
21 Oct 2013, 13:48 PM
Patrion 14

Agree to a degree. Some games can really be very infantryheavy supported by tanks rather than tanks steamrolling. Not sure if it actually is faster than CoH1, there have been discussions about this, but perhaps that was back in beta (cant remember) and those numbers dont match current meta. My gutfeeling is that teching was somewhat slower in CoH1, and I liked that better. Also, it provided some fuel and manpower based upgrades that could delay tanks.
Hux
21 Oct 2013, 16:43 PM
Patrion 14

I also agree to a certain extent.

Although ,right now, I really love that phase of the game where there's a couple of T34s and Panzer IVs on the field and one wrong move on either side can see em get their asses kicked.

IMPO, I think a few of the maps are a bit too big to see any prolonged infantry engagements carry through into the late game. And I also think maps like Road to Kharkov are way too much of a meatgrinder to be able to compare their early games to that of VCoh.

I am really interested to see what comes out of the community when the worldbuilder is released. Perhaps experimentation with map sizes/ layouts will affect the (competitive) meta in some similar ways. Have to wait and see I guess..
22 Oct 2013, 08:20 AM

Not sure if teching is that much faster, if at all.

What I believe gives the game that kind or the feel is:
hard counters, and paper/rock/scissors teching design and call-in units.
Especially if you are playing Soviet, there is very little you can do to counter P4 or Panther, but to go for a tank of your own.

In COH you had a lot more options like: better AT guns, tank traps, mines. Good AT infantry (airborne, rangers, PG's, Storm, etc)

Sometimes it would take very long time for first medium/heavy armor to hit the field..
22 Oct 2013, 09:10 AM

I've recently gone back and started playing some vcoh again and teching definitely feels faster in coh2. Part of the fun in vcoh was the infantry war that took place over controlling fuel but as in coh2 you can never really cut off your opponent's fuel completely, mid game always rolls around whether you've gained an advantage or not. I feel as though this mechanic favors the Germans slightly as Ost t2 is more flexible and more capable of both shock and defense than soviet t1/t2. Soviet t1/t2 are more like t1.5 but if you grab them before 4 cons, you are basically just conceding map control and if you get one of the two at 4 cons, you're already countered by German t2.
22 Oct 2013, 12:39 PM

I was watching an old TFN video of barton vs DevM and a sherman hit the field probably at the 15 minute mark. They commented on it as "quick tank depo" and in comparison to coh2 that would be considered a very slow tank. You can get a t34 in ~8 minutes I believe and team games can have crazy fast tanks, like 8 minute panthers. I miss the infantry battle length leading up to light vehicle play into tanks. Also, I know some maps were different like sturzdorf where you could get a fast tank in 1vs1 but it was situational to just that map. it's pretty common in almost all coh2 maps I feel.
22 Oct 2013, 18:15 PM

I've never gotten used to units spawning at the edge of the map and walking in from CoH2. It usually takes ten seconds for the damned infantry to finally move their butts onto the map so I can start issuing commands (which are disabled while they're off the playable map area). I STILL hold the selection box over the tier building waiting for the unit to finish then go "derp" and then stare at the damned infantry lollygagging their way onto the battlefield.

Combined with the immobilizing nature of winter maps, infantry can take a full minute to finally just leave the base after fielding/reinforcing. Then there's the whole blizzard thing that rolls around, and you're sitting around for a few more minutes watching resources tick up and VPs down.

Hell, there have been a number of games where I had built my t2 as germans before there was even the first engagement on the map.
22 Oct 2013, 22:01 PM

I agree that the teching seems way faster, and that the game to a larger extend seems focused arround rushing for armour. In vCOH you had more options on how to tacle the enemy armour and loosing the fuel didnt nesecarilly mean loosing the fight, as T1/T2 had som good AT options.

In adition theres no dedicated 1v1 and 2v2 maps in COH2, som you spend a lot of ypur games playing on maps that are clearly to big for your gamesize, meaning a lot of the infantryplay is just spamming single units to distant corners, or halftracks/clowncars roaming arround.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 18
United Kingdom 146
Germany 20
unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %