Login

russian armor

Tank Point Blank

27 Jul 2019, 13:54 PM

Permanently Banned

Remember that this goes both ways. Everything facing the T34 will also have this increase, meaning the t34 will suffer again lol.

Not really considering the T-34 is made out of soggy toilet paper
27 Jul 2019, 18:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It's a neat idea but I don't know how it would really work out. Most especially, obviously, the heaviest vehicles will lose out because more units will become a lot more likely to penetrate its frontal armour up close compared to before and guarantee close-up rear shots to penetrate across the board for medium tanks.

It probably wouldn't too change much for situations where one player has much better positioning (though it would probably gut the rare edges cases where a good flank tragically bounces a shot anyway)...but the ropier fights between would definitely get a lot more deadly.
27 Jul 2019, 18:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2019, 18:38 PMVuther
It's a neat idea but I don't know how it would really work out. Most especially, obviously, the heaviest vehicles will lose out because more units will become a lot more likely to penetrate its frontal armour up close compared to before and guarantee close-up rear shots to penetrate across the board for medium tanks.

It probably wouldn't too change much for situations where one player has much better positioning (though it would probably gut the rare edges cases where a good flank tragically bounces a shot anyway)...but the ropier fights between would definitely get a lot more deadly.

Slow vehicles that can't simply reverse away from mediums are hurt the most, particularly heavy tanks. Those would require support to keep medium swarms out of point blank range.

You could easily compensate them with a main gun buff though.
25 Aug 2019, 20:50 PM

Hello, I felt like bumping this topic because vehicle point blank is an idea worth giving a try. Is it possible to add it to the September patch preview mod for testing? Did I miss balance team feedback on this idea?
25 Aug 2019, 23:39 PM

Hello, I felt like bumping this topic because vehicle point blank is an idea worth giving a try. Is it possible to add it to the September patch preview mod for testing? Did I miss balance team feedback on this idea?

I was pretty excited to see this bumped up. However I think it's a bit much to add to the current patch. Hopefully the mods decide its worth a shot and try it next time. Or someone who can mod gives it a go to give us all a play test
26 Aug 2019, 00:19 AM

In terms of testing scope, maybe.

It's incredibly easy to implement. Most of the work is interpolating the new numbers, which I'm happy to do if the balance team wants to give this a shot.
26 Aug 2019, 00:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 00:19 AMLago
In terms of testing scope, maybe.

It's incredibly easy to implement. Most of the work is interpolating the new numbers, which I'm happy to do if the balance team wants to give this a shot.

Maybe if we have numbers to start with then it's just plug and play test?
26 Aug 2019, 01:05 AM

+1 to giving this a try
26 Aug 2019, 10:04 AM

Maybe if we have numbers to start with then it's just plug and play test?

Easy doesn't mean quick. If someone says they plan on using them (the Balance Team or a modder), I'll run the numbers, but I don't want to spend all that time if this idea is a non-starter.
26 Aug 2019, 10:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 10:04 AMLago

Easy doesn't mean quick. If someone says they plan on using them (the Balance Team or a modder), I'll run the numbers, but I don't want to spend all that time if this idea is a non-starter.

Fair enough
26 Aug 2019, 11:01 AM

Imo tanks do not need that high penetration because the can close the distance easily and the game will and end up in frontal melee fight vs Super heavies.

On the other hand the DPS of tanks could improve with range so that "flanker" tanks would work better. That would mean reducing the reload with range and making sort range vehicles gain faster reload at sort ranges.
26 Aug 2019, 11:32 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 11:01 AMVipper
Imo tanks do not need that high penetration because the can close the distance easily and the game will and end up in frontal melee fight vs Super heavies.

Every tournament game I've ever watched disagrees. Anti-tank guns. Snares. Mines. There are countless mechanics in this game that force you to position your tanks safely or lose them.

Point blank is not safe.
26 Aug 2019, 11:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 11:32 AMLago

Every tournament game I've ever watched disagrees. Anti-tank guns. Snares. Mines. There are countless mechanics in this game that force you to position your tanks safely or lose them.

Point blank is not safe.

Again my point here is that is should ROF and not penetration. If one want his shot to penetrate he can flank.

The increased penetration is good for AT vehicles like the Puma who does actually get more penetration than the average vehicle.
26 Aug 2019, 16:57 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

y tho

What problem are you solving, everyone goes for medium tanks anyways.
26 Aug 2019, 18:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Aug 2019, 16:57 PMTobis
y tho

What problem are you solving, everyone goes for medium tanks anyways.

Not in larger game modes where behemoths with high armor/hp render medium tanks unimpressive. This is why teamgame meta is TD spam and panther spam. Flanking is not always possible due to terrain or player density, so this change would actually benefit some frontal engagements with medium tanks if you're willing to risk closing the distance. It's not like mediums will become OP or anything, but at least they might be a bit more useful in some situations.

Good example is the Lienne Forest. Panther is dominant in the forest part of the map as TDs can't use their range advantage there. AT guns are pretty bad to use in locations with bunch of sight blockers too. Mediums just don't cut it there.

There are a few problematic locations on several maps for 2v2+. It's not a big problem, but the idea of vehicle point blank addresses it quite well in my opinion.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 25
Peru 11
United Kingdom 51
unknown 4
United States 4
United States 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W