A story about training hard until I played against VonIvan

24 Jul 2019, 22:58 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

>be me
>be average player in 2v2 with a friend
>rank 1500.png
>game's fun, want to become better
>start watching GCS2 and random Twitch play to learn from the pros
>get more creative to play around with different strats and builds, play all factions to get to know the units
>quickly climb the ladder to rank 1000
>optimize strategies, build order, micro, unit movement, combined arms, economy
>fast forward one year
>chilled out CoH2 evening with my buddy
>search 2v2 axis as OKW, quickly find a game after about 30s
>opponent's called VonIvan and someone who's name I don't recognize
>disbelief.jpeg
>surely a troll
>go on Twitch just to be sure.
>Von's online
>click his stream
>see my and my buddy's names on his loading screen
>excited.gif
>first 5 min are alright
>then get overrun by Von's penals
>Puma gets abandoned and stolen
>Brits base rape my buddy with 2 centaurs
>get noob rofl stomped in 15 min
>I'm still rank 1000, never been better than that
>fucking hell Relic, pls fix matchmaking
24 Jul 2019, 23:06 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Sorry for shitposting guys, but I needed this tp get off my chest.
How often does it actually happen that the match making screws up big time?
And I don't mean just making a match really unfair, which you have to calculate with in a limited player base. Bot no, somehow the game decided that if would be great to bridge more than 900(!!!) ranks and match random casual dudes like me against someone who is at the moment participating in a 2v2 tournament that even has rank exclusion.
I'm pretty sure that there probably was any of those 900 teams in between available when Von clicked the search button. That's one way to get a few minutes of Twitch-"fame".

Was this just a strange outlier? Or do you also get put in matches where you really should not be there?
24 Jul 2019, 23:14 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Sorry for shitposting guys, but I needed this tp get off my chest.
How often does it actually happen that the match making screws up big time?
And I don't mean just making a match really unfair, which you have to calculate with in a limited player base. Bot no, somehow the game decided that if would be great to bridge more than 900(!!!) ranks and match random casual dudes like me against someone who is at the moment participating in a 2v2 tournament that even has rank exclusion.
I'm pretty sure that there probably was any of those 900 teams in between avaiable when Von clicked the search button. That's one way to get a few minutes of Twizch-"fame".

Was this just a strange outlier? Or do you also get put in matches where you really should not be there?

It's more than likely tied to the small quantity of players/active player base. There might've been something funny in terms of how the game decided to match you two and you just got the short stick, but it happens.

You're probably better off, if possible, playing some time in the early afternoon of Eastern Daylight Time when it's in the evening in Europe as Europe tends to have the largest amount of active coh2 players. Better, yet, play on a Friday/Saturday during optimal European time!
24 Jul 2019, 23:18 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I assume so. But we actually played almost prime time.
The match took place the last tuesday, approx 10pm GMT+1
24 Jul 2019, 23:18 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I'm pretty sure that there probably was any of those 900 teams in between avaiable when Von clicked the search button. That's one way to get a few minutes of Twizch-"fame".

New arranged teams start with a null/new rank. You know how when a new player has to play placements (and goes up against ~middle-low tier players?). Well a new 2v2 arranged team has to play placements too. I'd imagine that's what happened.
24 Jul 2019, 23:22 PM

We were position 26 when you matched with us.

Fun game :)>
24 Jul 2019, 23:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

New arranged teams start with a null/new rank. You know how when a new player has to play placements (and goes up against ~middle-low tier players?). Well a new 2v2 arranged team has to play placements too. I'd imagine that's what happened.

although we have less games with axis, we are pretty much stable at rank 1000 with both sides since a year or more. We're far beyond the placement matches. And while we don't play CoH everyday, we play it regularly enough with both factions to not be reset.
24 Jul 2019, 23:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

We were position 26 when you matched with us.

Fun game :)>

i indeed found it very enjoyable just because it was so absurd. Well, probably my first and last glimpse at pro CoH play, at least until match making is drunk again
24 Jul 2019, 23:33 PM

Relic Automatch ftw. It does this sometimes which I think may be a bug as I was surprised we got a game so quickly and it wasn't vs top 500s.
Kudos to not dropping instantly after seeing our names. Most rank 1000s usually leave without trying during the loading screen.
24 Jul 2019, 23:42 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

They had us on the first half, not gonna lie.

Thought it was gonna be a story about self improvement and beaten Goliath against all odds.

24 Jul 2019, 23:59 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2019, 23:33 PMVonIvan
Relic Automatch ftw. It does this sometimes which I think may be a bug as I was surprised we got a game so quickly and it wasn't vs top 500s.
Kudos to not dropping instantly after seeing our names. Most rank 1000s usually leave without trying during the loading screen.

Wait, I thought at least you guys waited for a long time until the match maker went "fuck it, let's just match them with the next team available". Short search times are usually an indicator of balanced teams. Obviously not this time.
But thanks, we usually give every game a try.

They had us on the first half, not gonna lie.

Thought it was gonna be a story about self improvement and beaten Goliath against all odds.

Glad you liked the green text.
If Von played OKW, I would have instantly gotten two sweeper pios.

25 Jul 2019, 00:19 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I assume so. But we actually played almost prime time.
The match took place the last tuesday, approx 10pm GMT+1

That's not primetime, that's offhours. Primetime is during European "primetime".

You can check here: https://steamcharts.com/app/231430#48h

What usually happens is that high ranked players are waiting pass 3/5 mins, same with low ranked players. Once the search is extended for so long, anything can happen. Which is the most likely case for your situation.

Some other things that can happen:
-Any new arranged team (AT) can face whoever.
-Any new ranking with a faction you never played, also gives you a different ELO (hidden rank value).
Note: when i say WHOEVER, it is really the case. It doesn't take into account other ranks.
-Been hidden from the ladder, doesn't mean you get a reset on your ELO. You are just removed from the ladder and there's suppose to be a decay, which by experience, is either minimum or doesn't work.
25 Jul 2019, 00:33 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

That's not primetime, that's offhours. Primetime is during European "primetime".

You can check here: https://steamcharts.com/app/231430#48h

What usually happens is that high ranked players are waiting pass 3/5 mins, same with low ranked players. Once the search is extended for so long, anything can happen. Which is the most likely case for your situation.

Some other things that can happen:
-Any new arranged team (AT) can face whoever.
-Any new ranking with a faction you never played, also gives you a different ELO (hidden rank value).
Note: when i say WHOEVER, it is really the case. It doesn't take into account other ranks.
-Been hidden from the ladder, doesn't mean you get a reset on your ELO. You are just removed from the ladder and there's suppose to be a decay, which by experience, is either minimum or doesn't work.

That is prime time, also according to your link. GMT+1 is european mainland.
I'm not sure what VonIvan meant by "quickly" finding a game, but I usually minimize the game after I start the search and do something else. But that time, we almost instantly got matched. We have almost 100 gamesas 2v2 Axis, stable rank 1000 and played in our standard setup with my buddy as OST and me as OKW.
I think something weird has been going on. Either a real bug/bad programming, or something that is very, very obscure and not intuitive to the players.
25 Jul 2019, 00:42 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

although we have less games with axis, we are pretty much stable at rank 1000 with both sides since a year or more. We're far beyond the placement matches. And while we don't play CoH everyday, we play it regularly enough with both factions to not be reset.

I meant that it was possible that VonIvan was in placement matches.
25 Jul 2019, 00:49 AM

yeah, not you, them. if they haven't played their ten matches, or hadn't, they're basically free to match with anyone. unfortunately that means new teams with two great players can get matched against a couple of buddies who've been slugging it out for a year. happens to me all the time (that is, I get matched against people forming new teams with way more talent than myself).
25 Jul 2019, 00:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2019, 23:33 PMVonIvan

It's not a bug actually. After 8m0s, the matchmaker will dump you into a complete random match if it didnt find a better/more balanced matchup during these 8 minutes. So a rank 1 can play vs a rank 5000 at this point, even if one of the 2 sides searched for super short time only and assumed "wow this must be a balanced match then". And if it was not the low rank player that searched already for 8 minutes, then it was you who searched for so long already.

Edit:
Nvm I see you both said that you searched very shortly, so it makes no sense :s
25 Jul 2019, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Depends on what VonIvan an Chihuahua regard as 'short'.
But good to know that 8 min is the hard cap for queuing up to find a somewhat decent game. Bottom line seems to be that it was either a strange calculation that led to that match or that there is a factor that I am not aware of at the moment.

But maybe the CoH2 gods just wanted us to veto Crossing in the woods. Since we played almost exclusively SOV conscripts back in the day, we vetoed this map since low rank meta for Axis is locking everything down with 3-4 MGs. So we just kept it vetoed due to bad memories. On monday, we decided it to give it a go again. And tuesday, the first Crossing game in probably over a year, bam, VonIvan and Chihuahua.
Maybe we'll just veto it again.
25 Jul 2019, 10:14 AM

Permanently Banned
For some reason during primetime especially in weekends the matchmaker just seems to shit itself even more. Also leave the meme arrows
25 Jul 2019, 11:46 AM

Just remember psychology is a huge part of any competitive game. If you are using cover and retreating units in time, you should be able to last 20-30 minutes vs even top players. The game is not that deep. Eventually you'll lose because they are quicker at multitasking and have a better knowledge of tank and at ranges, and can can exercise better judgement about diving units (dem Centaur rushes only happen because they're correctly betting that at your sklll level you have no mines and your AT is too far forward and not supported.)

26 Jul 2019, 07:59 AM

Permanently Banned
The Bruh moment is what f*cks you
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment