Login

russian armor

Mod idea - Nigth Mode

24 Jul 2019, 07:41 AM

Imagine there is a night mode mod for COH2. You have limited vision for all infantry units (flares become extremely useful). You can make campfires to make areas of light. All vehicles have lights so they have normal or even extended line of sight. Vehicles have new crit - lights damaged (reduces LOS). You have a global upgrade for all inf - so squads can use flares.
I dont know if it will be more fun to play, but it probably will be more fun to watch)
24 Jul 2019, 12:31 PM

Imagine there is a cold mode mod for COH2. You have limited vision for all infantry units (flares become extremely useful). You can make campfires to heat up your infantry. All vehicles have lights so they have normal or even extended line of sight. Vehicles have new crit - lights damaged (reduces LOS). You have a global upgrade for all inf - so squads dont freeze to death.
I dont know if it will be more fun to play, but it probably will be more fun to watch)

:banana::banana::banana:
24 Jul 2019, 15:53 PM

Hey, I know about winter mode)
The difference is that in the night mode infantry units don't freeze and don't suffer from bad moving speed.
24 Jul 2019, 16:15 PM

Imagine there is a cold mode mod for COH2. You have limited vision for all infantry units (flares become extremely useful). You can make campfires to heat up your infantry. All vehicles have lights so they have normal or even extended line of sight. Vehicles have new crit - lights damaged (reduces LOS). You have a global upgrade for all inf - so squads dont freeze to death.

:banana::banana::banana:

CoH2 lost a lot of interesting mechanics, and Blizzard as well. My opinion whining around the Blizzard was unfounded and the removal of mechanics was not required.
24 Jul 2019, 16:21 PM

The main reason blizzard was removed had to do with the fact that allot PCs could not handle it and lagged.

There where some "night map" and UHU/Vamp ST44 indicate that Relic was thinking about such a feature.
24 Jul 2019, 16:25 PM
Editor in Chief Badge
Patrion 310

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2019, 16:21 PMVipper
The main reason blizzard was removed had to do with the fact that allot PCs could not handle it and lagged.

There where some "night map" and UHU/Vamp ST44 indicate that Relic was thinking about such a feature.

Although I would argue, that a night mode (or maybe even a night and day cycle) wouldn't hurt the games performance as much as Particle-Hell otherwise known as "Blizzard"
24 Jul 2019, 16:32 PM
Master Mapmaker Badge

FYI all of this is already in the game and can be used. It has been since vcoh actually.
24 Jul 2019, 17:47 PM
Master Modmaker Badge

Yea this is already implemented in the game and some mods already use it and also maps use this feature.
24 Jul 2019, 18:10 PM

Although I would argue, that a night mode (or maybe even a night and day cycle) wouldn't hurt the games performance as much as Particle-Hell otherwise known as "Blizzard"

I sure it would not be as demanding as "blizzard" performance wise.

It could be a problem balance wise since CQC could have an advantage. I suspect it proved too much work load for Relic to deliver and that is why "project" was abandoned.

But there are map (and campaign mission if I remember correctly) that have it.
24 Jul 2019, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2019, 18:10 PMVipper

It could be a problem balance wise since CQC could have an advantage. I suspect it proved too much work load for Relic to deliver and that is why "project" was abandoned.

When the game was just a release and there was a “Blizzard” in it, my old PC was fine, no lags or friezes. Lags and friezes appeared after the removal of the "Blizzard"
24 Jul 2019, 18:24 PM
Master Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jul 2019, 18:10 PMVipper

Yea it has none impact on the performance and if it does it's really small.
24 Jul 2019, 18:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Blizzard was a single player mechanic which was implemented without too much though into the multiplayer.

Too many things require a change for Blizzard as a mechanic to be brought up, some of them which are not feasible with CoH2. For example: Commander mechanic and how you LOCK them before knowing which map you are gonna play.

While there were things that probably could be done to improve the whole Blizzard mechanic (removing cost and xp of firepits, making units not die on retreat) there were plenty of things that couldn't be done which made the whole concept really shallow.
You couldn't interact with deep snow, Blizzards didn't affect ice integrity, random appearance and durations, etc.
25 Jul 2019, 12:09 PM

Hey, I know about winter mode)
The difference is that in the night mode infantry units don't freeze and don't suffer from bad moving speed.

No, they don't freeze to death.
But perhaps they're scared of the dark and walk slowly, and occasionally crap themselves
or spontaneously open fire on each other at pointblank ?
25 Jul 2019, 21:48 PM

As vipper said, a day night cycle will favour cqc, what I suggest is light sources default in maps and to be buildable by the players, at least for the engineer units. But I think that will affect game performance
25 Jul 2019, 21:53 PM

THis may be unpopular, but I don’t think relic should have removed cold effects. Since computer lag was an issue with badly programmed blizzard effects, they should have just made maps with pernament blizzardn effects minus the blizzard particles.
29 Jul 2019, 08:34 AM
Master Modmaker Badge

Imagine there is a night mode mod for COH2. You have limited vision for all infantry units (flares become extremely useful). You can make campfires to make areas of light. All vehicles have lights so they have normal or even extended line of sight. Vehicles have new crit - lights damaged (reduces LOS). You have a global upgrade for all inf - so squads can use flares.

Well, I'm happy to announce that soon you will be able to enjoy night mode ;)

29 Jul 2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

That looks awesome!

Does it work on all maps? will maps without lanterns be completely dark?
29 Jul 2019, 08:51 AM
Master Modmaker Badge

That looks awesome!

Does it work on all maps? will maps without lanterns be completely dark?

Yes, at least on all vanilla maps it should work just fine but I will have to still test it.

EDIT: Maps without lanterns will be dark when it's night time, but you can build campfires or use flares to light up the map.
30 Jul 2019, 07:09 AM

Yay! That's exciting!!!

Yay! That's exciting!!!
19 Sep 2019, 17:00 PM
Master Modmaker Badge

I'm happy to announce that now you will be able to play at night too! So just go to the Steam Workshop and subscribe.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★