Login

russian armor

Counter against 120mm Sovjet mortar

18 Oct 2013, 08:13 AM

In 1v1 matches I am struggling against the 120mm mortar of the Sovjets. When it hits it does so much damage that complete squads are whiped out. And with the range it can safely fire to almost all location of some maps.

What do you think is the best strategie to play against this powerfull mortar? For example do you just keep your units moving or are you trying to hunt it down and kill it when you see it is deployed to the battlefield?
18 Oct 2013, 08:19 AM

Mortar Halftrack
18 Oct 2013, 08:26 AM

What is your start, are you using grens + support units + t3 vehicles?
18 Oct 2013, 08:35 AM

seems that only mortar HT is a counter to it
18 Oct 2013, 08:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2013, 08:19 AMZtormi
Mortar Halftrack

Interesting, you mean drive in to range, fire and drive back right? Or using incendiary?

Often used start: gren, mg, gren, gren, T2, halftrack/pgen
18 Oct 2013, 08:48 AM

I just lob an incendiary round whenever I see 120mm barraging in the fow and back away, ninja style. MHT is incredibly annoying to deal with.
18 Oct 2013, 08:52 AM

Allright, I will try that thnx. That's also a commander that I use a lot so thats nice. Spot 120mm, choose commander, buy MHT, save munitions and drop an incendiary round.

Does it kill the entire squads when he doesnt retriet immeadiatly?
18 Oct 2013, 08:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Interesting, you mean drive in to range, fire and drive back right? Or using incendiary?

Incendiary is great if you can afford it. Normal barrage will at least force the 120mm mortar to move. You probably won't be able to destroy or steal the 120mm, so make sure you keep your mortar HT alive to do counter-mortar work throughout the game!

Also, if your halftrack is un-upgraded, you can put your infantry inside of it and use it to capture points that are being hit by mortars. The HT will take damage, but you won't suffer manpower losses while capping.
18 Oct 2013, 08:57 AM

Does it kill the entire squads when he doesnt retriet immeadiatly?

Pretty much yeah. MHT is also one of the reasons I hate Zis-gun so much because incendiary round rapes them so hard.
18 Oct 2013, 09:01 AM

Also, if your halftrack is un-upgraded, you can put your infantry inside of it and use it to capture points that are being hit by mortars. The HT will take damage, but you won't suffer manpower losses while capping.

I will try this also, thank you! I am curious about the damage it will take. I never used this feature of the halftrack. Don't know why actually.
18 Oct 2013, 09:02 AM

Yes using incendiary, but obviously that's not always an option because you might not have the required commander selected.

Heavy mortar is most effective against support units. And using light vehicle to attack heavy mortar doesn't usually work because guards are almost guaranteed to be there supporting it.

With your build order your best bet is to make pg first and wait for him to spread his units and stage a sneak attack with your pg and engineers. Together they can kill the unit fast enough and you can steel it with engineers. Keep in mind this only works if he is busy capping your points or engaged in something elsewhere. It also depends where he has it positioned.
18 Oct 2013, 09:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Oct 2013, 09:02 AMAbdul

With your build order your best bet is to make pg first and wait for him to spread his units and stage a sneak attack with your pg and engineers. Together they can kill the unit fast enough and you can steel it with engineers. Keep in mind this only works if he is busy capping your points or engaged in something elsewhere. It also depends where he has it positioned.

My problem is always that I'm sending my units as soon as they are reinforced. Sometimes I have to take time and plan an attack like this one. Quite difficult I think but when successful this hurts the opponent like hell.
18 Oct 2013, 10:10 AM

My problem is always that I'm sending my units as soon as they are reinforced. Sometimes I have to take time and plan an attack like this one. Quite difficult I think but when successful this hurts the opponent like hell.

Yes bait them in. Everyone likes to cut off the oil and often break their own defenses/lines in the process. This is the best time for a nasty surprise. Don't forget to type to your opponent SURPRISE! SURPRISE!! once you are well into it of course.
18 Oct 2013, 12:15 PM

In 1v1 matches I am struggling against the 120mm mortar of the Sovjets. When it hits it does so much damage that complete squads are whiped out. And with the range it can safely fire to almost all location of some maps.

What do you think is the best strategie to play against this powerfull mortar? For example do you just keep your units moving or are you trying to hunt it down and kill it when you see it is deployed to the battlefield?

Mortars in CoH2 are just fucking shocking design to be honest. The 120mm reliably one shots full health German squads, which is complete bullshit if you ask me.

18 Oct 2013, 12:38 PM

120mm mortar in 1v1 really hurts if its supported cos if you get anywhere near it they will just reteat and its range and damage are massive

mortar half track can work, but its 40 fuel which is a lot in 1v1, also it outranges you so you have to push up to get room to do the incendiary barrage and that probably wont kill it anyway

try and attack it as soon as you can with your pgs, sneak attack
18 Oct 2013, 12:59 PM

Mortars in CoH2 are just fucking shocking design to be honest. The 120mm reliably one shots full health German squads, which is complete bullshit if you ask me.

Especially in 2v2 and upwards, on some maps it's nearly impossible to deal with 120mm spam.
18 Oct 2013, 14:20 PM

One of the major problems with 120mm is that they have such a large crew and if I recall correctly you can still save the crew even if you only have one man remaining (he doesn't run off the map), but regardless its the squad size that really makes the unit a problem -- it's simply too easy to preserve the whole game and therefore spam the unit that is incredibly powerful.
18 Oct 2013, 14:49 PM

One of the major problems with 120mm is that they have such a large crew and if I recall correctly you can still save the crew even if you only have one man remaining (he doesn't run off the map), but regardless its the squad size that really makes the unit a problem -- it's simply too easy to preserve the whole game and therefore spam the unit that is incredibly powerful.

On some Maps you can just park one or two of them in your base and have them drain the enemy's mp for the rest of the game. No micro needed.
18 Oct 2013, 16:42 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

if I recall correctly you can still save the crew even if you only have one man remaining (he doesn't run off the map)

That is correct.
18 Oct 2013, 16:46 PM
Donator 22

+1 I've lost so many times, a full health squad as well :D

ontopic:

Mortar halftrack :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment