Hold fire button for MG42

Should MG42 have a hold fire button
Option Distribution Votes
80%
20%
Total votes: 25
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
19 Jul 2019, 03:42 AM

The mg42 is auto deploying when seeing an enemy squad, and most times it's not in a good direction. This can make the difference between holding the front line or full retreat. TBH i don't know why was this not implemented years ago. For allies this is not as important as for WM i guess.
I would like to see a hold fire button similar to the mortar.
What you guys think?
19 Jul 2019, 04:15 AM

You do get the button with ambush camo, so it seems like it would not be much to make it always there
19 Jul 2019, 04:16 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Poll title amended
19 Jul 2019, 04:47 AM

You do get the button with ambush camo, so it seems like it would not be much to make it always there

Good point !
19 Jul 2019, 07:14 AM

Why no all HMGs?
19 Jul 2019, 11:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 07:14 AMEsxile
Why no all HMGs?

^
19 Jul 2019, 13:45 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 07:14 AMEsxile
Why no all HMGs?

Take a wild guess...
19 Jul 2019, 14:59 PM

Take a wild guess...

Just read it:

"For allies this is not as important as for WM i guess."

LUL :lolol:
19 Jul 2019, 16:47 PM

Why not for all units, just for long- term QOL? Sometimes I'd like normal infantry to have it aswell, since they sometimes get stuck firing sideways and rotating around like confused chicken
19 Jul 2019, 16:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 16:47 PMElpern
Why not for all units, just for long- term QOL? Sometimes I'd like normal infantry to have it aswell, since they sometimes get stuck firing sideways and rotating around like confused chicken

Too much effort and UI clutter for something you'd only use 1 to 1000000 times.

Hold fire for hmg's has an obvious use case.
19 Jul 2019, 17:40 PM

I would like to see a hold fire button added to all HMGs that has the dual functionality that as soon as they are placed on hold fire, they automatically begin a reload cycle. I know some players are clamoring for a manual reload feature so they don’t end up shooting a short burst at a critical point followed by an unavoidable reload. If you go to the bother to add a hold fire button, then you could also give it the dual feature of making the gun reload. Two birds with one stone.
19 Jul 2019, 19:22 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I would like to see a hold fire button added to all HMGs that has the dual functionality that as soon as they are placed on hold fire, they automatically begin a reload cycle. I know some players are clamoring for a manual reload feature so they don’t end up shooting a short burst at a critical point followed by an unavoidable reload. If you go to the bother to add a hold fire button, then you could also give it the dual feature of making the gun reload. Two birds with one stone.

That actually sounds like a very good idea.
Tbh, OST probably needs it the most, since the early game heavily relies on Grenadier/MG42 interplay and mutual coverage more than any other faction. But there's no reason not to give it to all MGs.
19 Jul 2019, 20:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Ding ding, winner winner chicken dinner.
20 Jul 2019, 04:22 AM

I didn't say ONLY for MG42 man....put it for all HMG...
20 Jul 2019, 04:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Jul 2019, 16:47 PMElpern

I never said only for MG42 man..you can have for allies too..i don't care...i just don't want my MG to deploy by itself.
20 Jul 2019, 05:32 AM

A very good idea, especially with reload.
20 Jul 2019, 18:54 PM

The mg42 is auto deploying when seeing an enemy squad, and most times it's not in a good direction. This can make the difference between holding the front line or full retreat. TBH i don't know why was this not implemented years ago. For allies this is not as important as for WM i guess.
I would like to see a hold fire button similar to the mortar.
What you guys think?

Good idea, but it should be available to every MG in the game as a broad feature
20 Jul 2019, 19:13 PM

the reload thing is simple to implement, as soon a unit leaves combat it reloads, there fixed!

as for the hold fire, it could also be put on units too, I have lost count of how many times my shocks lost an engagement against a gren because when I finally reached the squad everyone started reloading and got gunned down.
And british infantry also get hold fire with smoke raid.
20 Jul 2019, 19:59 PM

+1
22 Jul 2019, 00:13 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2019, 19:13 PMzerocoh
the reload thing is simple to implement, as soon a unit leaves combat it reloads, there fixed!

That sounds like a good idea at first glance, but in an older thread it was brought up in, someone pointed out that the auto reload function could be manipulated by your opponent.

An example could be to drive a light vehicle past the MG making it fire a burst at it then driving off to go do something else. The vehicle has now caused the MG to use up some of its ammo prompting it to reload after it is no longer in combat for a certain amount of time, for example let’s say it’s 10 seconds. Now our savvy opponent lies in wait and counts to 11 seconds and charges the MG that he knows is reloading. With this tactic an LMG blob could easily decrew an MG team that is busy reloading.

This is why I suggested the hold fire button prompt a reload. Since it’s controlled by the player, you can choose when to force the reload.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★