Login

russian armor

So are they really nerfing the Churchill Tank?

PAGES (10)down
20 Jul 2019, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm not gonna cite your whole post for the sake of everyone's mouse wheels. I agree with your analysis of the Churchill's role, so I'm just quoting the last paragraph:

A single panther would not stop that from happening (A couple of stugs will). Thit shows that a panther is not efficient (and therefore not effective) vs churchills. Panthers are not hard counters. Braindead players comparisons are out of this scope please. Even when 1v1, a panther will have a hard time fighting off a churchill in tight spaces, but this case is very situational, like a flanked MG, meanwhile in open map snares and support units will kill any chasing panther. Loosing both units at best.
If a frontline is well defended vs AT (2 stugs, lots of ATG) is reasonable that a single churchill wont do, but there is no reason for churchills to be infalible either. Using artillery or flanking is the solution there.

I also agree with most of this. The main thing with break through units like the Churchill, but also King Tiger and to some extend the Tiger (in general they follow the same "slow but durable" concept, with firepower scaled to the price) is: You usually can't stop them on their offense unless you can heavily outplay your opponent. The question is how well you can mitigate and evade the damage. Because if you can fall back and kite the Churchill, your Panther should be alright for further combat afterwards while the Churchill needs to go back and repair. If you mitigated enough damage from your other units, you can start to counter attack.
So to which extend should a 165 fuel (plus side-tech) unit be able to enforce a different play style from your opponent? Well, since a 150 fuel Brumbär and 185 fuel Panther can enfore a drastic change in playstyle as well.
20 Jul 2019, 13:23 PM

Wow wow wow. I hope your calculations are correct. But what a tremendous piece of work :)

Anyway, chrchill is a bit too strong for ost imo. And it's not only due to repair speeds. Generally UK is pretty strong when against ost. And maybe the answer is to buff ost anti tank department slightly to deal with churchills. I also believe that stug is not the answer. You cant spend that much fuel and manpower ona units that wont help you against inf. As ost you are doomed then. Also firefly/jacskon/su85 will laugh at your stugs. It's just wrong tier at that stage of the game when churchills are around.
20 Jul 2019, 14:23 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Wow wow wow. I hope your calculations are correct. But what a tremendous piece of work :)

Anyway, chrchill is a bit too strong for ost imo. And it's not only due to repair speeds. Generally UK is pretty strong when against ost. And maybe the answer is to buff ost anti tank department slightly to deal with churchills. I also believe that stug is not the answer. You cant spend that much fuel and manpower ona units that wont help you against inf. As ost you are doomed then. Also firefly/jacskon/su85 will laugh at your stugs. It's just wrong tier at that stage of the game when churchills are around.

Thank you, I assume they are correct since the descriptions in the editor made sense to me.
I think we just slightly disagree. The Churchill is difficult to deal with, but I played it several times as Brits and I have to say it has quite some weaknesses, especially in smaller game modes where mobility matters. It needs a ton of support to not let it get snared and you're pretty much fixed to that point on the map with your main army, since relocating it takes some time. The latter is not a huge disadvantage in 3v3 and 4v4 since the map is just stuffed with units, but in 1v1 and 2v2 flanking is more prominent, so speed matters more.
I was mainly talking about 2v2 since I play that the most. Maybe that's where our difference comes from.
20 Jul 2019, 14:37 PM

Thank you, I assume they are correct since the descriptions in the editor made sense to me.
I think we just slightly disagree. The Churchill is difficult to deal with, but I played it several times as Brits and I have to say it has quite some weaknesses, especially in smaller game modes where mobility matters. It needs a ton of support to not let it get snared and you're pretty much fixed to that point on the map with your main army, since relocating it takes some time. The latter is not a huge disadvantage in 3v3 and 4v4 since the map is just stuffed with units, but in 1v1 and 2v2 flanking is more prominent, so speed matters more.
I was mainly talking about 2v2 since I play that the most. Maybe that's where our difference comes from.

Could be. :) I play 1v1 alomst solely. I have problems with brits as I haven't played them in a year or more. Still they really seem a bit over the top.
20 Jul 2019, 15:43 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Could be. :) I play 1v1 alomst solely. I have problems with brits as I haven't played them in a year or more. Still they really seem a bit over the top.

Brits are strong, but (in my opinion) that's due to the IS and the bolster. I'd like to see the IS be similar to the grenadiers with different cover mechanics. Probably slightly stronger since they are more expensive and lack utility. Maybe buff their weapons, remove the bolster or just make the bolster work on the engineers (with reduced price as compensation). Then make the Bren be an MG42 cost- and stat-wise and have IS only have one weapon slot. Everything in a sensible way, but I always liked the idea that Brits actually play more like Ostheer, so the Axis face a different tactic than the "total offensive" of USF and SOV. Just like OKW plays more similar to the other two Allied factions than Ostheer.

But that would be another thread.
Maybe we can let this topic now die in piece, I think most of the arguments have been discussed.
20 Jul 2019, 16:26 PM

Brits are strong, but (in my opinion) that's due to the IS and the bolster. I'd like to see the IS be similar to the grenadiers with different cover mechanics. Probably slightly stronger since they are more expensive and lack utility. Maybe buff their weapons, remove the bolster or just make the bolster work on the engineers (with reduced price as compensation). Then make the Bren be an MG42 cost- and stat-wise and have IS only have one weapon slot. Everything in a sensible way, but I always liked the idea that Brits actually play more like Ostheer, so the Axis face a different tactic than the "total offensive" of USF and SOV. Just like OKW plays more similar to the other two Allied factions than Ostheer.

But that would be another thread.
Maybe we can let this topic now die in piece, I think most of the arguments have been discussed.

Agreed with the above. But Brits are crazy. Just played a game with them. It's ostheer on steroids with everything. Playing them I still can't figure out why grens can't build sandbags. And all tanks I find imcredibly powerful. They are just crazy :)
20 Jul 2019, 16:36 PM

Generally UK is pretty strong when against ost. And maybe the answer is to buff ost anti tank department slightly to deal with churchills. I also believe that stug is not the answer.

Well, there is your problem then.
20 Jul 2019, 17:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2019, 16:36 PMKatitof

Well, there is your problem then.

I'm afraid I don't think it is my problem only. Give stug range of a tank destroyer and maybe. They buffed it a bit, true. Still it's an uphill battle for ost. I'll try playing UK for a while. But I felt almost stupid how powerful those units are.
20 Jul 2019, 17:16 PM

I'll try playing UK for a while.

That's actually the best and fastest way to see how to counter a unit you struggle against.
20 Jul 2019, 18:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jul 2019, 17:16 PMKatitof

That's actually the best and fastest way to see how to counter a unit you struggle against.

I love You :) Always so helpful :) But I agree 100% However, I'd also suggest the same to allied fanboys/fangirls/fanpersons.
22 Jul 2019, 06:35 AM

In my understand a Hardcounter is mostly cheaper or maximal at the same price like the unit it should counter. A hardcounter CANT be expansiver..

it is like you say 180mp pio is Hardcounterd by 600mp unit. maybe it will kill it fast...but the it MUST KILL It because of tripple the price..if not...the 600mp unit is to weak/ pio too strong
22 Jul 2019, 06:58 AM

In my understand a Hardcounter is mostly cheaper or maximal at the same price like the unit it should counter. A hardcounter CANT be expansiver..

it is like you say 180mp pio is Hardcounterd by 600mp unit. maybe it will kill it fast...but the it MUST KILL It because of tripple the price..if not...the 600mp unit is to weak/ pio too strong

Jagdtiger and Elephant confirmed to not be hardcounters to anything.

No.
A hardcounter is a unit(or combination of units in certain cases), which leaves opposing unit with no place to do much and doesn't allow them to efficiently fight back. Cost is only correlation, unless you believe Puma isn't hardcounter to lights or panther isn't a hardcounter to meds too.
22 Jul 2019, 07:03 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Jul 2019, 06:58 AMKatitof

Jagdtiger and Elephant confirmed to not be hardcounters to anything.

No.
A hardcounter is a unit(or combination of units in certain cases), which leaves opposing unit with no place to do much and doesn't allow them to efficiently fight back. Cost is only correlation, unless you believe Puma isn't hardcounter to lights or panther isn't a hardcounter to meds too.

You missunderstood a HARDcounter.

Defintion of a hardcounter:

"A hard counter is something that beats its counterpart even with inferior investment."
22 Jul 2019, 07:05 AM

That definition exists in your head and literally nowhere else.
22 Jul 2019, 07:10 AM

That definition exists in your head and literally nowhere else.

well...:

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Hard_Counters_and_Soft_Counters

I mean..u could simple google this to not be so naive as you stand now ---
22 Jul 2019, 07:23 AM

well...:

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/Hard_Counters_and_Soft_Counters

I mean..u could simple google this to not be so naive as you stand now ---

Are you kidding.

From your own source

"...We prefer not to use these terms on this wiki. They are ambiguous and there are many edge cases..."

We're also not playing Starcraft, thank god.

CoH2 has never really reached an agreeable consensus on what defines a hard counter, but the common parlance use has never been based around cost. The Jagd and Ele are prime examples of tank hardcounters, and they have long been considered exactly that, which are literally the most expensive units in game.
22 Jul 2019, 07:43 AM

Are you kidding.

From your own source

"...We prefer not to use these terms on this wiki. They are ambiguous and there are many edge cases..."

We're also not playing Starcraft, thank god.

CoH2 has never really reached an agreeable consensus on what defines a hard counter, but the common parlance use has never been based around cost. The Jagd and Ele are prime examples of tank hardcounters, and they have long been considered exactly that, which are literally the most expensive units in game.

once more: yes elefant and jagdtiger counter other tanks with very hard and glorius hits. But...this isnt the definition of a HARDCOUNTER. A hardcounter is where a unit ...even when unequiped or with less costs counter a other unit.

Back in my days there was a rogue build which could kill any warrior...even naked with a lvl 1 dagger. this is a hardcounter.

This is the definiton IN EVERY GAME. Not only in starcraft. You have only missunderstood Hardcounter...yes a jagdtiger/ ele can hit hard. but the MUST...cause of price.

EDIT:

A hardcounter means: there is NO WAY that the counterd unit could kill the hardcounter. But...any medium can easy flank a elefant/ jagdtiger and kill it in a 1v1.
So the elfeant/ jagdtiger CANT be a hardcounter to armored unit.

only when we think about a mass of support units. but hardcounter means it will have easy live in 1v1 .

Rocker-paper-scissor.
22 Jul 2019, 07:46 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

That definition is way too easy. According to that, thr Brummbär would not hard counter infantry, since every infantry unit in the game is cheaper that it.
What you need to do is scale the units stats to the same cost. And even then you need to subjectively judge by the roles. An Elefant hard counters basically all vehicles. Yet I'm 100% sure that I can kill an Elefant with a Pershing or even with a T34 in a sole 1v1 situation due to the casemate nature of the Elefant. In a real scenario, you need to find the Elefant in a weak spot where you can flank it and then kill it with vehicles which it actually is supposed to hard counter.
Cost correction only works if you assume similar or realistic battlefield conditions (e.g. front to front shoot out etc)
22 Jul 2019, 08:00 AM

That definition is way too easy. According to that, thr Brummbär would not hard counter infantry, since every infantry unit in the game is cheaper that it.
What you need to do is scale the units stats to the same cost. And even then you need to subjectively judge by the roles. An Elefant hard counters basically all vehicles. Yet I'm 100% sure that I can kill an Elefant with a Pershing or even with a T34 in a sole 1v1 situation due to the casemate nature of the Elefant. In a real scenario, you need to find the Elefant in a weak spot where you can flank it and then kill it with vehicles which it actually is supposed to hard counter.
Cost correction only works if you assume similar or realistic battlefield conditions (e.g. front to front shoot out etc)

thats why this TDs are only good counters/ or softcounter.../ counters.
Not HARDCOUNTERS. (once more: hardcounters means it will beat the unit in every situation and no lose possible: like a stone will ALWAYS lose to a paper.EVERYTIME. no lose possbile to the paper.)
22 Jul 2019, 08:03 AM

thats why this TDs are only good counters/ or softcounter.../ counters.
Not HARDCOUNTERS. (once more: hardcounters means it will beat the unit in every situation and no lose possible: like a stone will ALWAYS lose to a paper.EVERYTIME. no lose possbile to the paper.)

You're again wrong.
That's a description of massively overpowered unit, not a hardcounter.

The only units in existence that matches your description are flying units vs melee units.
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS