Login

russian armor

Soviet Airborne Troop Tactics Penal Battalion

6 Jul 2019, 17:42 PM

I'm so glad after years Penals finally feel right. In the beginning they were an awkward unit that was mid/long range but had a close range satchel charge. Then they became a anti tank unit primarily. Now that we can give them PPShs they finally feel right - A suicide squad who charges in and blows up the entrenched areas at great peril. Great work!!
9 Jul 2019, 11:23 AM

I wish you could charge with a demo charge. With no timer, I mean.
Just hoorah and explode with the click of a button as in demo charge :)
13 Jul 2019, 06:37 AM

Soviet Army.

Not Taliban ffs )))

(Jokes aside there were Chinese troops that strapped themselves up with bundle grenades and charged tanks...)
14 Jul 2019, 16:13 PM

Agreed on the Penals, they are the best iteration of how this squad should have been designed to function.
14 Jul 2019, 18:53 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

One question:
Are the PPSH penals really worth it?
The Soviet commander is alright to have fun with it, but if I want/need close range firepower, isn't it better to just get shocks with a different commander? They are more durable, cost only about 60 MP more and you don't need to pay muni to upgrade. Grenade instead of satchel is more of an upgrade for me in most cases, also you have the option to smoke. Similar thing with the PPSH upgrade for airborne guards.
I mean, the commander all in all is alright. DshK is nice, rocket strafe is decent, rally point adds a nice twist, especially if a USF teammate parks his ambulance next to it.
But then again the CQC capabilities are so super redundant, I felt the only real reason for the crate drop is to upgrade your conscripts, since it's a real upgrade and not just a sidegrade. If I want a CQC squad with that commander, I go for the airborne guards.
I should add that I never player the commander with a T1 build, it's just my thoughts when reading the patch notes.
14 Jul 2019, 19:27 PM

One question:
Are the PPSH penals really worth it?

Nope
14 Jul 2019, 19:56 PM

Penals get a total of 60% bonus to accuracy by vet 3, plus a marginal benefit with 'to the last man', they will do more damage with their ppshes than shocks
14 Jul 2019, 21:37 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Penals get a total of 60% bonus to accuracy by vet 3, plus a marginal benefit with 'to the last man', they will do more damage with their ppshes than shocks

The bonuses are multiplicative with the previous ones, so it's 130%*130% = 169%.
15 Jul 2019, 16:10 PM

An additional benefit of the PPSh upgrade for Penal Troops could be considered in that if you were to choose the Airborne commander after you already went with a Tier 1 Penal Troops start.

For example, if you find yourself up against MP40 Volksgrenadiers or Assault Grenadiers after you already committed to Penal Troops and you want to have an SMG equipped unit to counter them, you could use the weapon drop to convert a squad of mid-long range Penal Troops into a CQB PPSh equipped squad by spending munitions. Of course you could also call in Guards Airborne to do the same thing, but that would cost manpower, which might not be available to you.

PPSh Penal Troops are probably not the best choice for a CQB squad for Soviets, but they do fit a niche role that can be advantageous under some circumstances.
15 Jul 2019, 17:37 PM

Alos don't forget about one trick with ppsh - you could buy 1 PTRS and icon of squad will still ppsh, that sometimes give you suprise effect.
15 Jul 2019, 20:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jul 2019, 17:37 PMMaret
Alos don't forget about one trick with ppsh - you could buy 1 PTRS and icon of squad will still ppsh, that sometimes give you suprise effect.

I think that option got removed last hotfix patch.
16 Jul 2019, 04:40 AM

I feel like I can put so much pressure early game with PPSh Penals. 1 CP and you can push hard and use a con squad to field reinforce + retreat (something you lose bonus on with shocks). 2 CP and you can set up a airdrop to reinforce mid field and heal. After that you can help push with a half track and a SU-76. They're an investment that really pays off at Vet 3. Satchel is a great squad wiper/building clear to boot.
16 Jul 2019, 05:24 AM

I wish they would explode just as they come out of barracks. Kappa
18 Jul 2019, 05:13 AM

The old satchel would detonate on impact with a huge aoe that would almost always kill 3+ models of the penal squad. So there was that....
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★