Login

russian armor

M42 light AT gun canister shot, maybe over nerfed?

6 Jul 2019, 07:17 AM

I have been using M42 at gun lately and I remember that in a recent patch the canister shot got a range nerf. The range is so short and the ammo switch time so long that is feels a bit pointless. How do you guys feel about this?
6 Jul 2019, 07:52 AM

Classic overnerf you are right.
6 Jul 2019, 08:40 AM

Say thanks to the people who abused canister rounds hard by getting a M42 blob.

And I dont think it's useless, you just need inf support nearby now
6 Jul 2019, 09:01 AM

Never said it was useless, its a good medium tank counter for a cheap price. the canister shot does not seem worth it right now. I say increase the range or decrease the ammo swap time.
6 Jul 2019, 09:15 AM

Never said it was useless, its a good medium tank counter for a cheap price. the canister shot does not seem worth it right now. I say increase the range or decrease the ammo swap time.

Worth it for what? The ability is free
6 Jul 2019, 09:15 AM

There were so many suggestions how to nerf it and make it inefficient when blobbed while keeping it useful without range nerf.

Canister shot with 35 range got soviet demo charge'd.
6 Jul 2019, 09:21 AM

A cheap AT gun countering its counter wasn't a good idea from the start.
6 Jul 2019, 10:05 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'm probably late with suggestions, but had it been considered to nerf the arch when in canister shot mode?
As far as I could see it, the problem was people spamming 2-3 of these and annihilating charging infantry. A smaller arch makes it easier to just run through it quickly and dodge the damage, while it would reward good micro and a good setup for defensive positions
7 Jul 2019, 12:14 PM

The ability should simply me removed or reduced to single shot. The units is still very cheap and cost efficient.
7 Jul 2019, 13:27 PM

I'm probably late with suggestions, but had it been considered to nerf the arch when in canister shot mode?
As far as I could see it, the problem was people spamming 2-3 of these and annihilating charging infantry. A smaller arch makes it easier to just run through it quickly and dodge the damage, while it would reward good micro and a good setup for defensive positions

and what do I do on chokepoints? :snfPeter:
7 Jul 2019, 13:45 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

and what do I do on chokepoints? :snfPeter:

I hope this is sarcasm
7 Jul 2019, 14:21 PM

It was broken as fuck. People who abused knew it was. Just like people with spamming JLI when they were ridiculous, it was easy peazey to spot a grade A shitbag if they were using or abusing this.
7 Jul 2019, 15:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jul 2019, 14:21 PMKoRneY
It was broken as fuck. People who abused knew it was. Just like people with spamming JLI when they were ridiculous, it was easy peazey to spot a grade A shitbag if they were using or abusing this.

It was OP but the nerf was a bit too much. Reducing the range wasn´t really that great of an idea. Maybe making the cannister rounds cost muni and be a timed ability would have been better. Something like 20 muni for 10 seconds of cannister rounds. That way it would have been in-line with Zis3 and SU76.
7 Jul 2019, 16:25 PM

A dirt-cheap, early call-in should not be as decisive as it was.

It was correctly nerfed to the ground.
7 Jul 2019, 16:50 PM

It was a bad design from start, so just remove it and find another way to make the M42 not shit.
7 Jul 2019, 17:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jul 2019, 16:50 PMCresc
It was a bad design from start, so just remove it and find another way to make the M42 not shit.

in M-42 there is no point at all in the presence of ZIS-3. M-42 is a relic of a terrible starting design (hello conscripts and penals). ZIS-3 was the commander ability, M-42 was built in the building. But at the same time, in the opposite side, the Elephant could be built in T4 without a commander. M-42 remained until the end of the war because it was light and had frag and canister shoots.
7 Jul 2019, 17:07 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I dont actually think having canister rounds cost munitions would have put the game in a better spot (because yes, I would say they were such a problem that they damaged/affected the state of the game).

Soviet players tend to float a lot of munitions anyway, especially with the urban and community defense doctrines. Which would end up meaning the nerf would likely be fairly meaningless. You could toy with other options like limited uptime (as one user said, 10 seconds per use) or a prohibitively high munitions cost, but I dont think that wouldve made them feel any better to face. It would do nothing about the ability being, in blunt shorthand, cancer to use and face. Itll still shotgun stuff from outside range of retaliation, and that was basically the fundamental issue. A cancerous ability that costs munitions/is timed is still a cancerous ability and you dont make players feel any better when its used against them by making it cost resources (that probably wouldnt have been used on anything else anyway, at that).

As for the suggestion of limiting its arc while canister shot is used, it would still counter garrisons and weapon teams from outside retaliation range, and even against infantry, they can pack up, relocate, and reface too quickly for arc nerfs to be meaningful. And then if you nerf the setup time, then you nerf the m42 in its at role, and thats not needed.

My thoughts were really disorganized here, but the main things I want to get across are:

A cancerous ability that costs munitions is still cancerous. The m42 performed fine in its AT role, so nerfs would have ideally left it untouched outside of canister rounds (besides them being a little too cheap too, of course). Canister rounds were intended as a self defense/general defensive tool with limited uses in ambushes/supporting other units in said ambush - that mark was clearly missed. A unit should not be able to perform well against all units in both an offensive and defensive role - that inherently asks for it to be spammed.
7 Jul 2019, 17:23 PM

A dirt-cheap, early call-in should not be as decisive as it was.

It was correctly nerfed to the ground.

By that logic, we should further nerf JLI, let them rot in prison of uselessness after that short period of being OP AF, abused and spammed by every OKW player.
7 Jul 2019, 17:26 PM

Why not just remove canister rounds, and give the M42 an accuracy bonus vs light vehicles like the 6lbr just lost? Maybe that would make its role more distinct?
7 Jul 2019, 17:46 PM

By that logic, we should further nerf JLI, let them rot in prison of uselessness after that short period of being OP AF, abused and spammed by every OKW player.

We should, when JLIs can tackle infantry, vehicles and support weapons without a worry in the world.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★