What USF Commander should I buy?

Which company to buy?
Option Distribution Votes
73%
27%
Total votes: 11
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
3 Jul 2019, 04:49 AM

I've recently acquired the sum required to buy a new commander, and, given that I manages to buy or recieve the other USF commanders in drops already, now only need to decide between two to buy: Recon Company and Tactical Support Company. I am torn over which to buy.

On one hand, Recon Company is clearly the more meta, particularly in 1v1 and 2v2, which is all I play. The I&R Pathfinders are quite frankly better than the Airborne Company ones, and the Greyhound and support paras seem very good still. To make things even more enticing, Recon is one of few USF commanders to have a utility ability, Raid Tactics, that Id like to try to use, and the cluster bombs ability looks very powerful.

On the other hand, however, Tactical Support Company has a halftrack, something I desperately want to make work in the field, as well as the M1919 LMGs. The Recon Run and Calliope are very meh for my choice of gamemode but the Strafing Run does look nice. I mostly want Tactical Support for the M5 Halftrack, if Im being honest, since it is statistically superior to Mechanized Company's M3 and still a call-in unit.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here since this board seems pretty slow anyway. Which commander should I get? Which do you think is better? Are reinforcement halftracks even worth it in this meta?
3 Jul 2019, 04:56 AM

I like recon support a lot better than tac support, kinda just on a flavor basis. I find it more fun to play with than just spamming a lot of lmg infantry lol, and a well hidden/micro'd/protected ambulance makes reinforcement halftracks kind of a moot point for usf if you can keep it safe and keep it relevant, since any AT will force off a reinforcement halftrack anyway so you might as well do just a little extra walking to go heal at the ambulance. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of halftracks too but I just don't really see it as enough of an advantage to pick it over recon support. Callies are good, but I don't really ever find myself with enough muni to justify a strafing run (even though it's a good ability on paper) and would rather be using it for other things.

With recon support, greyhound is fun to play with, zook paras are actually kinda decent and very fun to use (even though 1919s are probably realistically the better option), it gives you access to mines through the paras, long sightlines and arty through paths, a great light in the greyhound, and clusters for pak walls.
3 Jul 2019, 07:25 AM

Tightrope developed a kind of unique BO around tactical support on 1vs1 with a 4xRE start and dual officers if you're interested.

But I think Reco is more useful on the long run. Don't forget to build an early munition cache, even on 1vs1, as it will be more useful than an extra squad on many occasion.
3 Jul 2019, 16:03 PM

It depends what you're after. If you primarily want to win, pick Recon. It's a much more competitive doctrine than Tactical Support.

If off-meta jank and unconventional strategies are more up your street, Tactical Support has some fun toys for that. It's one of the two doctrines that can do M1919 RE spam (the other being Infantry Company), the M5 got its price slashed from 350 to 240 (you're welcome :P) and the Calliope's not a bad unit by any means.

Fair warning though, the Strafing Run is trash.
3 Jul 2019, 16:06 PM

Tactical support is just an inferior version of Infantry commander, if you want Calliope you go for a new commander which is free anyway.

Recon is obvious choice
3 Jul 2019, 22:56 PM

Use the new commander cuz its free. Literally dominates in team games. Particularly in urban areas, its perfect.
4 Jul 2019, 01:45 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/447599289?t=01h03m31s

You can check my tactical support build here, I used to go RE starts but they are awful with all the ass grens running around. I think it is pretty good vs Ostheer, having a recon run to out position their paks and for the jackson to shoot max range is very useful.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★