Login

russian armor

Seeking Advice: USF vs Ass Grens

24 Jun 2019, 01:59 AM

Hello. I've been playing USF 1v1 and 2v2 for a while now but have been having trouble versus Ostheer Assault Grenadiers after the patch. A lot of people are using them now, and I am finding it difficult to keep up an offensive against them, and often even defending against them.

Mostly I have been going Captain, since I hate zooks and like to have an AT gun on the field asap for killing enemy light vehicles. This obviously doesnt fare well versus infantry heavy builds, which is all what Ive been up against lately, and struggles particularly versus Ass Grens with their sprint and grenade assault.

My last game, a 1v1 on Lost Glider, I decided my entire goal would be to counter the Assault Grenadiers I knew Id be facing as soon as I saw the commander in the loading screen. For this, I went Armor Company and opened with two rifles and ass engies. The idea was that Id be able to kill Ass Grens if they came close with the Ass Engies.

I haven't checked the stats in tools yet, but whether it is due to a DPS disadvantage or bad RNG, my Ass Engies couldn't fight Ass Grens head on in any of the early game.

Luckily my opponent played extremely defensively, only building 2 Ass Grens and never tried to push the left side of the map, which remained mine nearly the entire game, or even far into the right or center. He never even hit my cutoff point. This is very fortunate, because I quickly realized my MGs via the LT tech were going to come too late to make a difference in the early game, and he ended up building a mortar when I did finally bite the bullet on two M2HBs, and I ended up not using them much since he sank all his MP into bunkers and eventually an ostwind (both if which my M10 counters nicely)

Long story made very short, how do I contain assault grenadiers in the early game, or if going captain? (LT is dangerously exposed to LVs unless you put major fuel into a Stuart and delay Major).

I had figured Ass Engies or Cav Rifles could counter, but the performance of my Engies against them seemed inadequete even after the flamethrower upgrade, and it makes me worry how Cav Rifles would fare (although they do have Thompsons. My regular rifles aren't doing enough damage to drop models on AssGrens pushing or sprinting, and I dont want to sacrifice map control too much by blobbing up.

Has anyine figured out a good counter strategy or do I need to assume a defensive only posture until MGs / light vehicles can come out. Ive been very wary about light vehicles in particular with so many shreks out now.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
24 Jun 2019, 02:30 AM

My last game, a 1v1 on Lost Glider...

There's the problem, you don't have Lost Glider vetoed.

Jokes aside, Ass Engies deal nicely with them, I saw ass grens in cover lose to advancing ass engies (up to close range) on Vons stream. But they probably do better without flamers against them rather than with the flamer. Riflemen can also win when you spot the grens at max range (even if they sprint up to you), it's mostly left to RNG to decide, light vehicles tend to bully them a lot too, so, if you like going captain, consider the AAHT (M20 is a love though, seriously, use it. And plant mines whenever possible.)
24 Jun 2019, 02:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2019, 02:30 AMFarlon

There's the problem, you don't have Lost Glider vetoed.

Jokes aside, Ass Engies deal nicely with them, I saw ass grens in cover lose to advancing ass engies (up to close range) on Vons stream. But they probably do better without flamers against them rather than with the flamer. Riflemen can also win when you spot the grens at max range (even if they sprint up to you), it's mostly left to RNG to decide, light vehicles tend to bully them a lot too, so, if you like going captain, consider the AAHT (M20 is a love though, seriously, use it. And plant mines whenever possible.)

Must be a RNG thing then. My Ass Engies lost every 1v1 firefight against Ass Grens. At least one time it might have been my fault, my engies seemed to be outdpsing them at healthy distance when we were both in yellow cover by the right VP, and I figured I could rush them out of their cover at close range so I could cap. Instead I had to retreat. Made me wonder if the grens had better close range dps.

I'll try building AAHT next time. I do like it, but recently I have just been tech rushing Major from Captain without building any light vehicles since there's so many Shreks running around. I suppose its an investment worth the risk though, and now that I think of it the AAHT would hopefully be able to suppress AT infantry first.

Thanks.
24 Jun 2019, 10:16 AM

At least one time it might have been my fault, my engies seemed to be outdpsing them at healthy distance when we were both in yellow cover by the right VP, and I figured I could rush them out of their cover at close range so I could cap. Instead I had to retreat

Squads have lower DPS on the move, often substantially.

In a fight between two evenly matched squads, the defender wins.
24 Jun 2019, 13:21 PM
24 Jun 2019, 14:21 PM

i personally have managed to deal with them to keep my riflemen in groups as much as possible, always having 2 rifles going together instead of alone already improves you chance to win fire fights early on. after that, light vehicles
24 Jun 2019, 14:32 PM

Stick your Riflemen together, tech grenades as soon as possible. Assgrens want to either rush you or stop to throw their grenade assault, both of which give you plenty of opportunity to stick a pineapple in the middle of them. Worst case they dodge, but that gives your Riflemen more time to deal mid range DPS damage.

Same for Infantry Sections as Brits.
24 Jun 2019, 15:11 PM

Don’t underestimate RE’s volley fire.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment