Login

russian armor

Teamgame Resource Inflation

23 Jun 2019, 00:52 AM

One of the issues that's come up a lot in the recent discussions about heavy tanks is teamgame resource inflation.

The maps are larger, so they have more points. However, those points have the same resource values as 1v1 points do, which results in substantially higher resource incomes per player in the larger modes.

This creates a balancing nightmare as the pacing of tech is completely different in 4v4 than in 1v1, whereas the pacing of command points remains the same.

Say you 'fixed' this.

Say you applied a percentage income penalty based on the number of points on the map. If you double the number of points, each point becomes worth half the resources.

That'd make the teching rate consistent across all modes.

Would this make teamgames better or worse?
23 Jun 2019, 01:13 AM

Your arguments make 100% sense but I think it would make teamgames worse. Right now you get punished hard if you lose important points of the map as it's not 1 but 2-4 opponents which out-tech you and have a ressource advantage over you.

THAT is the thrilling challenge in teamgames and I would not want this to change.
23 Jun 2019, 02:54 AM

What about just reducing the income per point flatly in team games? Like 1 less fuel and 2 less muni or something like that? Maybe even more in 4v4

Only reason I say that instead your percentage idea, is because I think the inflation isnt just from the # of points. I think some other ppl on the forum have said this, but a lot of it comes from how much less often some territory changes hands compared to 1v1

Also i dont think all larger maps necessarily have more points. Some of them just have larger territory for each point i think, but i could be mistaken. Havent gone higher than 2v2 in a while
23 Jun 2019, 02:58 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

I think the majority of the players in this mode enjoy it that way. Probably best to leave it alone at this point in the games life cycle.
23 Jun 2019, 03:36 AM

I think the majority of the players in this mode enjoy it that way. Probably best to leave it alone at this point in the games life cycle.

+1

Most people are more worried about certain units hitting the field that are stronger than others in terms of balance. Majority of teching issues have been resolved within the first 3 years of the game.
23 Jun 2019, 03:52 AM

I have got a solution, finally.

If mapmakers can decide how many field capture points are, then simply reduce the amount in larger maps. Less common points, a single fuel and a couple of ammo points.

The results will be:
-Less resource inflation, since there are less resources sources
-More contested territories, since now each one will become very, very valuable.
-Each territory become a more important strategic value for the team and for the game. Giving it a competitive aspect.
-Faction diversity. A doctrine could suit very well in a particular side of the map meanwhile others will do better all-around.

Please tell me map makers are able to simply reduce the amount of capture ponts.
23 Jun 2019, 03:53 AM

Yea thing I play team games for is that the shit hits the fan and it's an all out shit show with friends.
1s and 2s are for balanced play, 3s and 4s are "lose 17 t34s because ramming them into tanks is hilarious" or "convert every building into an FRP and death blob across the map"

The resource inflation is the fun part. Er.... Till some of the factions were able to turn that into fast and freaky heavy armour....
23 Jun 2019, 16:58 PM

1s and 2s are for balanced play, 3s and 4s are "lose 17 t34s because ramming them into tanks is hilarious" or "convert every building into an FRP and death blob across the map"

Even 2s have inflation to a degree. Take a map like rails and metal. There's 4 points for each team that almost never change hands just due to the sheer distance you have to go to harass them.

I think the more static territory control in teams is the biggest reason for inflation
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★