Login

russian armor

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020?)

18 Jun 2019, 21:03 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

This has quietly garnered a bunch of attention since the trailer launched at E3. Are those cleaned and animated LIDAR mesh-scans as the terrain? I've been waiting for somebody to try to do this as a game terrain for ages (really only Google or Microsoft are candidates). Is that what I'm seeing? If it is... I can't imaging that they would be able to release too many regions like that at a time.
4 Nov 2019, 19:03 PM

The terrain is in a cloud that is streamed to the player. I heard you can cache certain areas if your internet can't keep up but don't know the details on that. Looking forward to doing a low level fly by of my house lol.
14 Nov 2019, 21:46 PM
3 Sep 2020, 12:17 PM

- I LOVE IT! -

Just saying.
9 Sep 2020, 18:42 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I've been following the launch a bit. Turns out they created the entire world terrain with 3 methods:

1) hand-made stuff (models, meshes, and game-ized airports by 3d-designers/artists)

2) Aerial meshes created by flyovers (photography + LIDAR) that have been commissioned by Microsoft for their BING maps over the last many years. You will see these in the big popular cities in the West. I doubt they will get permission to do these in places like Russia or China.

3) satellite imagery on top of topography with AI generated buildings on top of that (this is probably 99% of the world and it looks average at best -- sometimes even ridiculously comical)

It's pretty fascinating technology. :o And it's interesting that they decided to blend these 3 distinctly different methods together.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS