Login

russian armor

Portrait of the new commanders

15 Jun 2019, 18:39 PM

The Portrait of the new commanders see very different from the other commanders.

Suggestions:
A) Make the colors less "warm" so that they looks closer to original commanders.
or
B)Replace the portraits with the one's from unused commanders.
15 Jun 2019, 18:43 PM

"very different"

Oh you are putting it in such a kind way )))
15 Jun 2019, 18:55 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Actually, portraits in the game have a lot of disparities. different brightness, different additional effect, different proportions. Just compare these portraits

I see your point and agree, since some commanders could get proper portrait from unused concepts like these

But it's only two portraits. USSR doesn't have portrait for VDV from unused assets. I can suggest here my concept, but it not good enough imo

And i can suggest to use these collection of restored portraits, if we consider the goal on global standardization
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1250910612
15 Jun 2019, 19:09 PM
Senior Editor Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2019, 18:39 PMVipper
The Portrait of the new commanders see very different from the other commanders.

Suggestions:
A) Make the colors less "warm" so that they looks closer to original commanders.
or

+1000
15 Jun 2019, 19:26 PM

But it's only two portraits. USSR doesn't have portrait for VDV from unused assets. I can suggest here my concept, but it not good enough imo

I was under the impression that there at least 4 Soviet commander that where not released that also had portraits:
Not one step back tactics
Tankovyy Desant Tactics
Overwhelming armor
Defense in depth
15 Jun 2019, 19:29 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2019, 19:26 PMVipper

I was under the impression that there at least 4 Soviet commander that where not released that also had portraits:
Not one step back tactics
Tankovyy Desant Tactics
Overwhelming armor
Defense in depth

There is only two soviet portraits left in gamefiles
16 Jun 2019, 05:01 AM

The new portraits look very ugly

they seems more like patient not soldier except okw's one

Only portrait of Okw is fine
16 Jun 2019, 06:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jun 2019, 18:39 PMVipper

Suggestions:
or

+1
Additionally, they should use gray background instead of blue. However, using unused portraits is a much better option.
16 Jun 2019, 07:05 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2019, 05:01 AMblancat
The new portraits look very ugly

Sure they have a different style then the others, but please keep in mind that someone has put in a lot of effort to create them. You could show a little gratitude for free content created by the community.
16 Jun 2019, 09:12 AM

The problem's in the framing, not the artwork. The actual art is good.

CoH 2's portraits have very consistent proportions: they're designed to be stacked up against each other in commander bars. The new icons don't follow these strict proportions, so they look out of place.

If you convert them to follow these rules, then suddenly they look more like they belong. They're still clearly by a different artist, but they look much more like they're part of the set.

16 Jun 2019, 09:34 AM
Lead Artist Badge

Sure they have a different style then the others, but please keep in mind that someone has put in a lot of effort to create them. You could show a little gratitude for free content created by the community.

By the way, speaking about community job. I tried to help them with that. Free of charge, of course. Made a proposal, willing to sacrifice like two weeks of my free time, just to help the community out, but got turned down for no real reason. And I actually had some experience in producing this kind of portraits, like this guy I made like two years ago, when I was less, less experienced than now:

Well.. Whatever, I guess.
16 Jun 2019, 09:40 AM
Donator 11

By the way, speaking about community job. I tried to help them with that. Free of charge, of course. Made a proposal, willing to sacrifice like two weeks of my free time, just to help the community out, but got turned down for no real reason. And I actually had some experience in producing this kind of portraits, like this guy I made like two years ago, when I was less, less experienced than now:

A pity, the quality of the portraits you did for the WPC tournament back in 2016 were just amazing. I have nothing against these new 5 portraits because someone I guess has put a lot of time working on them.
16 Jun 2019, 09:53 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Yes i know as i told you in the PM. If you ask me, I had let made you this. But at the time you asked me, Relic had already made it self (or paid someone to do it or w/e)

So the timing was sadly bad. :/

And yes it cost alot of work to do something like that.

Not sure if people knew this already

16 Jun 2019, 09:58 AM

Wait so, you didn't make em? Not to offend your skills at making quality pics but I genuinely thought this was your work considering the previous stuff you've done for the game.

This is quite interesting and retarded then I guess.
16 Jun 2019, 10:00 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Yes i know as i told you in the PM. If you ask me, I had let made you this. But at the time you asked me, Relic had already made it self (or paid someone to do it or w/e)

So the timing was sadly bad. :/

And yes it cost alot of work to do something like that.

Not sure if people knew this already

Is there a chance, that Relic will allow Rita to create commander portraits and add them in the next patches? AFAIK she is a professional artist, and who else can do it, if not a professional artist?
16 Jun 2019, 10:05 AM
Lead Strategist Badge

Is there a chance, that Relic will allow Rita to create commander portraits and add them in the next patches? AFAIK she is a professional artist, and who else can do it, if not a professional artist?

I don't find them too ugly tbh. Different yes. And as said someone already invest alot of timework.

So i personal doubt that.
The focus should be anyway in balance imo. (I know some people care alot of visual. But most player just play the game :P )

16 Jun 2019, 10:13 AM
Lead Artist Badge

Wait so, you didn't make em? Not to offend your skills at making quality pics but I genuinely thought this was your work considering the previous stuff you've done for the game.

No, I never said I don't like them. It just felt a little bit weird when you are a Lead Artist on the biggest community-driven website and you are getting excluded from a community project which involves a lot of drawing.
16 Jun 2019, 10:44 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I don't find them too ugly tbh. Different yes. And as said someone already invest alot of timework.

So i personal doubt that.
The focus should be anyway in balance imo. (I know some people care alot of visual. But most player just play the game :P )

But a this discussion and other threads proving the importance of good visual support. I don't know why you so hard underestimate UI part. Same was with minimaps previously.

I don't mind to use faces of real people. But some basic rules should be followed, whenever you do your work.
kaj
16 Jun 2019, 11:23 AM

But a this discussion and other threads proving the importance of good visual support. I don't know why you so hard underestimate UI part. Same was with minimaps previously.

I don't mind to use faces of real people. But some basic rules should be followed, whenever you do your work.

It's all about details. Relic doesn't care much about UI and visuals, as been proved many times. And when i've been saying about how new portraits differs from adopted style, guy in shout out just answered me: "blvckdream: come on they aren't that bad... who really gives a fuck how they look"
I think, that is how about 99% think about that visual things, and this is very very sad.
16 Jun 2019, 11:36 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2019, 11:23 AMkaj

It's all about details. Relic doesn't care much about UI and visuals, as been proved many times.

Can't agree with this statement. A lot of UI issues were fixed with last patches.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★