Login

russian armor

Reading comprehension 101 for dumdums, Lesson 1, context.

• This thread is locked
12 Jun 2019, 11:46 AM

In an attempt to better help communicate with each other on forums, I have decided to dedicate some of my time to help some my peers on .org to jump over that low level barrier of written English language.
Some of us speak perfect english, some of us just ok and some of us only know the meaning of words, but never understand the meaning of sentence.

The latter group will be the target of this lesson.

So lets talk about Context in a sentence, how can we grasp a Context of sentence and what are Context Clues?

So, what are Context Clues?
Sometimes you won't understand every word in a reading passage. One thing you can do to figure out new words is to use CONTEXT CLUES.

The CONTEXT is the words, sentences, and ideas that come before and after a word or phrase.

When you read a passage, circle any new words that you don't understand. Then, look in the context to find clues--words or phrases that hint at what the new word means.

Remember, you don't have to understand every word in a reading! Circle only the new words that are key to understanding the passage.

Words are elusive, chimerical creatures. They shift connotations depending on the situation, rearing their heads in surprising contexts. A dictionary, or denotative definition, can become all but useless. So it’s no surprise that any attempts to cage the semantic beast in the static, one dimensionality of a flashcard will be doomed.

What would be a better way to explain it, then with an example?
For todays class a volunteer have approached me with difficulties in understanding the context of 2 of my unrelated replies because there was the same word present in both of them, which boiled his head over, so lets bring up the example and help him together!
Disclaimer:

Example 1

Example 2

I do hope this lesson will be of great help to everyone who struggles of grasping the context of sentence and being generally confused, just because the same word was used in 2 different concepts.
Remember, English is not native language of all of us and we need to help the lesser of us to understand it better when we see they struggle.
12 Jun 2019, 14:33 PM

Your rambling is full of spelling and grammar mistakes. Maybe fix them first before teaching English to the coh2.org community?
12 Jun 2019, 15:01 PM

thanks to katitof for his persisting dedication to make coh2.org a more toxic place
12 Jun 2019, 15:22 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Katitof: oh silly me, I again falsely accused vipper of being able to grasp a context of whole sentence put together instead of nitpicked words he fixated upon, why do I keep making that mistake?
Today, 07:17 AM

Yes because targeting someone not in the thread but in the shoutbox is going to let the thread fly. No sir.

/locked
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS