Login

russian armor

Anyone use an M5 halftrack?

13 Oct 2013, 08:24 AM

Just curious if anyone uses this unit in a regular build. I remember using this unit a lot in COH1 but I find it comes too late for my tastes to get in COH2. Getting a first t70 or T34 is always more tempting. I like the concept of the unit though just as much as I did in COH1.

So does anyone use soviet halftracks? If you do say how and why.
13 Oct 2013, 09:39 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

In 1v1 I have seen them used in conjunction with multiple ATGs, to decent effect. I guess it could pay off handsomely if you're in a game against someone who uses a lot of recon runs, airstrikes, etc. It seems better suited for team games (particularly on big maps) than 1v1s.

Maybe someone can enlighten us about its range, suppression, HP, etc? I'm also curious.
13 Oct 2013, 10:44 AM

I use them almost every game in 1v1 and 2v2. Great mid-game unit to keep the extremely fragile MG's, mortars and AT guns in action. Also is dirt cheap and helps with strafe.
13 Oct 2013, 17:55 PM

In 1v1 I have seen them used in conjunction with multiple ATGs, to decent effect.

Well with the new reinforcement cost for ATGs perhaps this strategy makes more sense now.
13 Oct 2013, 22:24 PM

I just used for first time in a long time last game, it was upgunned and a player had forgotton about his vet 2 pgrens on the edge of the map, it killed them pretty quickly so i know it does pretty damn good damage. I then just drove around with it to reinforce my weapon teams. Not bad but definately would not get it if i wasnt already in the lead with vehicles, i already had 2 t34's up and he had no armor of his own because i had just destroyed it.
14 Oct 2013, 02:28 AM

m5 should be t2.
15 Oct 2013, 05:51 AM

m5 should be t2.

I agree and make T1 25-30 fuel since their is no point in building it now.
17 Oct 2013, 00:29 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 11

I generally build T4, so don't use them often because Relic thinks its a good idea to make it expensive for Soviets to use multiple tiers.

I do find them very useful in matches where I have a couple vehicles, and have lost a lot of infantry. If there are a bunch of weapons lying around (MGs, AT Guns, Mortars, etc) it can help multiply your army without needing to retreat, reinforce, and run back.
17 Oct 2013, 10:39 AM

I really like it when going T2-T3 and usually get one after my first T-34. It helps keep the AT guns and my Maxim on the field longer (and cheaper, 15 MP reinforce instead of 20 MP merge) and the conscripts also profit a lot from not having to run over the whole map.

I often don't upgrade it because the unit is great and filling its purpose without it already but if I have a lot of munitions it can be worth it for some support fire. Not upgrading it also means you can put a flamer, flanking PPSh conscripts and/or Guards in it if you need to.
17 Oct 2013, 10:45 AM

m5 should be t2.

And zis gun should be moved to t3 in return.
I find the m5 MUST when facing german strafe and recon
17 Oct 2013, 12:13 PM

when i go t1 => T3 i use it to steal enemy support weapons and reinforce on the spot
T1 penals with flame or just engineers with flamers are great against someone going heavy support weapons

but in general if i go T3 i get one and get the krautmower asap(after T70, after T34) since its cheap and it has suppression aswell, and the soviets only decent AA, i think its a must have unit
18 Oct 2013, 07:40 AM

I agree and make T1 25-30 fuel since their is no point in building it now.

If they do that then we might end up with super fast t70. Perhaps as someone suggested before they should reduce the cost of both buildings t2 (sniper) and t3 (maxim) and transfer the cost reduction equally to t4 and t5.
18 Oct 2013, 07:54 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

I played against Sir Muffin earlier this week and he used an M5 very effectively against me. He kept it out of my LoS, reinforcing his ATGs and other crew-weapons. When my infantry got chased off near the very end, he moved it near my cutoff. My infantry got suppressed when trying to get back on the field and my tanks were too badly slowed with damaged engines to be able to scare it away. When I knew that he had the quad upgrade I was reluctant to use recon flights and frag bombs (not that I had the munitions for the latter anyway :P )

19 Oct 2013, 23:27 PM

I played against Sir Muffin earlier this week and he used an M5 very effectively against me. He kept it out of my LoS, reinforcing his ATGs and other crew-weapons. When my infantry got chased off near the very end, he moved it near my cutoff. My infantry got suppressed when trying to get back on the field and my tanks were too badly slowed with damaged engines to be able to scare it away. When I knew that he had the quad upgrade I was reluctant to use recon flights and frag bombs (not that I had the munitions for the latter anyway :P )

good game computerheat <444>3
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS