Login

russian armor

[1v1] Wehr vs Russians: Wehr'd the fuel come from?

23 May 2019, 09:20 AM

Just played this 1v1 where I thought I had a serious advantage. Then a mountain of tanks and meat grinders show up, followed by Katyusha. While I didn't dominate the field, I felt like I was keeping him off fuel for a good amount of time. I had majority map control twice, with only one zone (munitions) left to his control, whereas he only pushed me back to my base and took the three points at the end. So it just seemed like this fuel supply of his came out of no where. He didn't have any stacks, either, I checked after the game ended, and his commander was the defensive community one with no bonuses for supplies.

I know the sniper cost me a lot of manpower and magically dodged bullets like a main character in Enemy at the Gates, but I was still knocking down quite a lot of his units, too. I even stole one DsPK (as useful as that is with its 12 degree arc length...........) but it didn't seem to help.

Course when I got the second panther on the field I did destroy his medium tanks, meat grinders, and was in shot range of the Katyusha and then... the match ended because I ran out of points. Perhaps that was his strategy from the beginning? Let me have ground, build up a large force of medium tanks, and then hope to the RNG gods that he can hold it with MGs in either house long enough to drain the tickets.

I'd appreciate any feedback. I know I made some mistakes like losing manpower to the sniper, losing MGs (though I never lost it to him, just had to re-man), and losing the 222 because I unluckily backed it into cons that were just minding their own business. I just thought I was winning with the damage I did with the Flakpanzer, grenadiers/rifle grenades, and especially my half track with P.Grens/shrek.

I have been trying Wehr more since switching from Russians, with limited success. I'm still pretty noob. I'm still not entirely sure how to see my rank or others...

28 May 2019, 20:44 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll give you a quick feedback anyway.

I just browsed the game, and there are two reasons that his fuel took you by surprise.
1. He took the cheapest teching path and made no investments into lightvehicles apart from the 15 fuel to the scout car. Conversely you got both a 222, 251 and an Ostwind before he had any tanks out.
2. For some reason he didn't move his t-34 out of the base before a second one was also built. I imagine that this can give quite a shock and awe effect.

furthermore you seemed to have fallen into the trap of over confidence, where your wins over his infantry made you invest even further into anti-infantry, leaving very little in terms of preparation for the tanks (panzer grens with shrecks are best against light vehicles. and possibly stalling mediums).

The Panther was a decent choice, but by the time it arrived you could probably have had two stugs for about the same price if you had skipped or delayed t4.

It's kind of nit picky stuff though. Overall you performed quite well.
5 Jun 2019, 06:17 AM

I appreciate the advice. I have definitely lost many games where I had the advantage, even bordering total map control and got overconfident. The reason for the overconfidence is not illogical. After wiping so many models and several complete squads, the opponent can be down upwards of 1500-2000 manpower and if those kills were from vehicles, I lose nothing but repair time. Just seems like whenever I lose a squad in early to mid game, I might as well surrender because there's no coming back. That's not even counting losing several squads and a scout car.

I've also not had much luck with P.Grens against T-70s because apparently everyone is a level 99 Paladin at micro'ing those. Might have something to do with the fact I'm level 45 and I keep going against level 100x8 prestiges... Doesn't change the fact that a micro'd T-70 will simply never die to a shrek because it will never in a million years let them get close enough to it; they back away from frontal engagements and aren't stupid enough to park it near blind spots. Plus that T-70s cannon has the luckiest RNG kill rate in the game... sometimes one hit is enough for a four man squad to bite it.
5 Jun 2019, 13:32 PM
Donator 11

I've also not had much luck with P.Grens against T-70s because apparently everyone is a level 99 Paladin at micro'ing those. Might have something to do with the fact I'm level 45 and I keep going against level 100x8 prestiges... Doesn't change the fact that a micro'd T-70 will simply never die to a shrek because it will never in a million years let them get close enough to it; they back away from frontal engagements and aren't stupid enough to park it near blind spots. Plus that T-70s cannon has the luckiest RNG kill rate in the game... sometimes one hit is enough for a four man squad to bite it.

One tactic against the t70 is to choose a doctrine with the camo/sprint ability. Be patient and not reveal it until the t70 extends in front of its support and you have a 2nd AT option in support then sprint grens and faust it before finishing it off. Obviously locks you into that doctrine but may save you from bren carrier/t70 domination
6 Jun 2019, 09:39 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Jun 2019, 13:32 PMArray

One tactic against the t70 is to choose a doctrine with the camo/sprint ability. Be patient and not reveal it until the t70 extends in front of its support and you have a 2nd AT option in support then sprint grens and faust it before finishing it off. Obviously locks you into that doctrine but may save you from bren carrier/t70 domination

That's good advice as I have probably given more German lives to those vehicles than actually died to them in the entirety of the war. However currently I don't possess the Storm Doctrine. Guess I better grind or get the credit card out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★