Login

russian armor

KV1 and Churchill can take too much damage

PAGES (19)down
4 Jun 2019, 14:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:22 PMLago

No.

In order to define something as objectively too high, you need an objective maximum height.

We don't have one.

No you do not. You simply need the value of the unit with similar role that you use as benchmark.

Tell you what, find what unit have more acceleration and rotation than Churchill and we can continue this.
4 Jun 2019, 14:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:24 PMVipper
No you do not. You simply need the value of the unit with similar role that you use as benchmark.

Tell what, find what unit have more acceleration and rotation than Churchill and we can continue this.

Yes, you do. It's in the very definition of the word.

If something is too high, that means it's higher than is deemed acceptable.

If you want to define something as objectively too high, then you need an objective maximum acceptable height.
4 Jun 2019, 14:30 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:27 PMLago

Yes, you do. It's in the very definition of the word.

If something is too high, then it's higher than is acceptable.

If it's higher than is acceptable, then there is a maximum value which is acceptable.

To define something as too high without subjectivity, you must define that height without subjectivity.

I am not sure why you want to start on semantics. I can say a person is too tall if he is 40 cm taller than the average without knowing what the high of the tallest person that existed.

Again try to keep it on subject and simply compare the acceleration and rotation of other vehicles with that of the Churchill.
4 Jun 2019, 14:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:30 PMVipper
I am not sure why you want to start on semantics. I can say a person is too tall if he is 40 cm taller than the average without knowing what the high of the tallest person that existed.

Again try to keep it on subject and simply compare the acceleration and rotation of other vehicles with that of the Churchill.

I'm not sure you understand what 'too' means in this context.

It's comparative. It can't exist in isolation. You have to be too something to something.

If a theme park ride only allows people under 180 cm tall to ride it, and a man is 185 cm, then he is too tall to ride it.

You're saying the rear armour (or rotation speed or acceleration) is too high to be balanced, yes?

If that is true, then there is a maximum rear armour value for the Churchill that is not too high to be balanced.

For that to be objectively true, that value has to be defined objectively.
4 Jun 2019, 14:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:48 PMLago

It's comparative. It can't exist in isolation. You have to be too something to something.

If a theme park ride only allows people under 180 cm tall to ride it, and a man is 185 cm, then he is too tall to ride it.

You're saying the rear armour (or rotation speed or acceleration) is too high to be balanced, yes?

If that is true, then there is a maximum rear armour that is not too high to be balanced.

For that to be objectively true, that maximum balanced rear armour value has to be defined objectively.
well, at least lower than the frontal armor of a medium tank
4 Jun 2019, 14:56 PM

well, at least lower than the frontal armor of a medium tank

That's a fair opinion.

What Vipper doesn't seem to get is it's not an objective fact.
4 Jun 2019, 15:06 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 14:48 PMLago

If that is true, then there is a maximum rear armour that is not too high to be balanced.

For that to be objectively true, that maximum balanced rear armour value has to be defined objectively.

Ok at this point you are simply trolling and turning this into a personal vendetta.

I clearly said compare the acceleration and rotation of the Churchill with other vehicles so I am fully aware what too high means.

Since you don't seem to want to compare it let me give you some numbers:
Churchill Accel: 3.5
aec_armoured_car_mp Accel: 3
centaur_aa _mk2_mp Accel: 1.8
comet_mp Accel: 2.2
cromwell_mk4_75mm_mp Accel: 2.6
sherman_firefly_m4a2_mp Accel: 1.6
valentine_observation_mp Accel: 2.6

Now that value is clearly objectively and undisputed TOO HIGH especially taking into account that role of vehicle.

Have a nice day.
4 Jun 2019, 15:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 15:06 PMVipper
Now that value is clearly objectively and undisputed TOO HIGH especially taking into account that role of vehicle.

No. No it is not.

If something is "too high", it is above an acceptable limit. Too high to.

If you want to prove something is too high then you have to define what that acceptable limit is.

If you want to prove it objectively, you have to do so without involving opinion.
4 Jun 2019, 15:36 PM

Lago is correct here. With out predefined limits, the second you say “too” it becomes your opinion. Hell, even with predefined limits ordained by Relic, that’s still just Relic’s opinion of how a unit should work and the community often disagrees with Relic’s opinion.

Objective is: The Churchill’s acceleration value is 3.5. (This is an observable, repeatable fact taken from game files)

Subjective is: The Churchill’s acceleration of 3.5 is too high. You have now applied your opinion to the matter.
4 Jun 2019, 15:43 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 15:36 PMEnkidu
Lago is correct here. With out predefined limits, the second you say “too” it becomes your opinion. Hell, even with predefined limits ordained by Relic, that’s still just Relic’s opinion of how a unit should work and the community often disagrees with Relic’s opinion.

Objective is: The Churchill’s acceleration value is 3.5. (This is an observable, repeatable fact taken from game files)

Subjective is: The Churchill’s acceleration of 3.5 is too high. You have now applied your opinion to the matter.

Not really it is too high for a vehicle with a role a slow heavy infatry support tank compared to other tank and especially other heavy Tank.

It more than double than what KV-1 has for particular reason and that make its simply "too high".

Now pls stop semantics pointless arguing and move on.
4 Jun 2019, 16:01 PM

So what should its acceleration be?

And will anyone actually care? It's still a slow tank, if it's very quick at getting to its slow speed, I doubt anyone will be particularly enthused by such a change.

The gigantic HP pool is the thing that they probably care more about.
4 Jun 2019, 16:01 PM

by that logic shouldn't the panther have superb rear armor ? as it's meant to counter them ?

It has other advantages to ensure that. Like speed (something the church doesn't) and range (something else the church doesn't)the churchs whole design is being in the fight being shit at by everything, thus the health pool and all round armour. The panther has all the tools to ensure that its not being shot at, and if it is then it's got a solid chance to deflect, and of it doesn't its got a decent health pool. And if that fails it will likely blitz the fuck out of there..
There are many ways to screw a cat. The church does it up front and violently, the panther is a bit more subtle about it.
4 Jun 2019, 16:10 PM

It isn’t just semantics. Balancing is largely subjective and there’s nothing wrong at all with having an opinion on something. The problem is when you start to state something which is an opinion as an objective fact. It shuts down the conversation.

The trick here is to state why you have the opinion you have, possibly present solutions, state why you think those solutions would actually be solutions. Just stating, “My opinion is fact!” over and over isn’t very helpful and just comes off as arrogant, or worse, ignorant.

You feel the Churchill’s acceleration is too high right? Why? Because it’s higher than the KV-1? Why do you feel this is a relevant metric? Given the Churchill’s acceleration, speed, damage, armor, abilities, why do you think focusing on its acceleration is the right approach? What even is the supposed problem you’re trying to address? I’m not asking sarcastically, I’m genuinely curious.
4 Jun 2019, 16:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 15:43 PMVipper

Not really it is too high for a vehicle with a role a slow heavy infatry support tank compared to other tank and especially other heavy Tank.

It more than double than what KV-1 has for particular reason and that make its simply "too high".

Now pls stop semantics pointless arguing and move on.

What is the highest acceleration the Churchill can have that is not 'too high'?

Prove this without using opinions, and we'll accept your claim as objective fact.

Else it's nothing more than your opinion.
4 Jun 2019, 16:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 16:10 PMEnkidu
It isn’t just semantics. Balancing is largely subjective and there’s nothing wrong at all with having an opinion on something. The problem is when you start to state something which is an opinion as an objective fact. It shuts down the conversation.

The trick here is to state why you have the opinion you have, possibly present solutions, state why you think those solutions would actually be solutions. Just stating, “My opinion is fact!” over and over isn’t very helpful and just comes off as arrogant, or worse, ignorant.

You feel the Churchill’s acceleration is too high right? Why? Because it’s higher than the KV-1? Why do you feel this is a relevant metric? Given the Churchill’s acceleration, speed, damage, armor, abilities, why do you think focusing on its acceleration is the right approach? What even is the supposed problem you’re trying to address? I’m not asking sarcastically, I’m genuinely curious.

"Giving LMG-42 damage 1.000 accuracy, 100% and penetration 1.000 would too high."
Am I stating an opinion or fact?
Do I have to establish an upper limit before I can state that?
4 Jun 2019, 16:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 16:51 PMVipper
"Giving LMG-42 damage 1.000 accuracy, 100% and penetration 1.000 would too high."
Am I stating an opinion or fact?
Do I have to establish an upper limit before I can state that?

In literal terms, you're stating nothing at all. You're making a comparison but aren't saying what you're comparing to.

If we assume your "too high" has an implicit "to be balanced" on the end of it, then you're stating an opinion.

A no doubt widely held opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.
4 Jun 2019, 17:07 PM

KV-1 was outdated because of its gun, which struggled against P4s and better at range and it couldn't close up reliably, so mobility was another issue.
It was completely imprevious to P3 and P4s were upgunned to stand any chance.

Sounds shockingly familiar to CoH2 representation and dynamics.
Yes. And since we only have upgunned P4s and stronger AT in the game (with the exception of the Puma) the game mechanics don't reflect anything from reality.
4 Jun 2019, 17:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 16:56 PMLago

In literal terms, you're stating nothing at all. You're making a comparison but aren't saying what you're comparing to.

If we assume your "too high" has an implicit "to be balanced" on the end of it, then you're stating an opinion.

A no doubt widely held opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

Now you simply have moved way past a balance thread into philosophy. There are Philosopher that argue that "absolute truth" exist and those argue it does not. You can read their opinions, justification and argue with them.

For me it is quite clear that in the current system an lmg-42 with damage 1.000, accuracy 100% and penetration 1.000 would be simply be game breaking and thus those values are simply "too high".

I don't have to establish what the upper limit is before I can safely make that claim.

If you do not like the term replace it with what ever suits you, it works for me fine and I will continue using it.

Once more have a nice day.
4 Jun 2019, 17:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Jun 2019, 17:17 PMVipper

Now you simply have moved way past a balance thread into philosophy. There are Philosopher that argue that "absolute truth" exist and those argue it does not. You can read their opinions, justification and argue with them.

For me it is quite clear that in the current system an lmg-42 with damage 1.000, accuracy 100% and penetration 1.000 would be simply be game breaking and thus those values are simply "too high".

I don't have to establish what the upper limit is before I can safely make that claim.

If you do not like the term replace it with what ever suits you, it works for me fine and I will continue using it.

Once more have a nice day.

It's not philosophy. It's literally the definition of the word 'objective'.

If you say your opinion is a fact you're either mistaken or lying.

If you're unable to tell the difference between actual facts and your opinions then you have no place on a balance forum.

All your 'too high' claims are opinions. They may be well-researched and reasoned opinions but they are still opinions. They are not facts.
PAGES (19)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS