Login

russian armor

Assault Grenadiers

10 Oct 2013, 14:58 PM
Donator 33

So, I was wondering if these guys have some weaknesses to exploit. Right at the start of the game, I find them difficult to deal with.
10 Oct 2013, 15:30 PM

An m3 with a flamer unit on it.
10 Oct 2013, 18:00 PM

Mostly what undostrescuatro said. Also, since you know they are going to try to rush your conscripts, get molotovs after your 2nd or 3rd conscript and throw a good one.
10 Oct 2013, 18:47 PM

An m3 with a flamer unit on it.

And if going Tier 1?
10 Oct 2013, 18:50 PM

And if going Tier 1?

tier 1 is the m3 clown car and upgrade engineers with flamer
10 Oct 2013, 19:23 PM

And if going Tier 1?

ill asume you said t2
well the answer would be dont go t2, but still they are vulnerable to suppresion and mortar fire,it is a bit risky since they can grenade them both, t2 is a more defensive aproach, while t1 is a more agresive one. by the time you see assgreen you havent even built a strutcture yet.
10 Oct 2013, 21:24 PM

So, I was wondering if these guys have some weaknesses to exploit. Right at the start of the game, I find them difficult to deal with.

Hiding in buildings works well too. Their MP 40s don't do much to units in garrison. If they throw grenades, just pop out and be thankful they just wasted 60 munitions. Like others have said, they have no AT capabilities can be be overrun by a simple scout car at range. They cost 32 MP to reinforce so doing damage to them makes them costly.
11 Oct 2013, 00:54 AM

Basically you need a tank T3 to beat assault grenadiers, T70 works well. I always retreat conscripts in one on one engagements with them, sometimes I try to get a molotov off to kill one guy and then retreat, but don't try to fight them unless you've got numbers.

If you get conscript PPSH's and Hit the Dirt, I find one squad with a well placed molotov right at the beginning can take them out with some luck.
11 Oct 2013, 02:21 AM

To be honest going Tier 1 is risky move, since players who tend to use assault grens rush Tier 2 now. This allows them to rush a scout car to destroy any clown cars, which destroys the purpose of T1. My advice is if you go Tier 1, you need the doctrinal at gun or guards on the field and even this is unreliable because they can get a scout car before you reach 1 cp. Going Tier 1 can make the player very vulnerable, also going T2 isn't that bad. The german player most likely skips T1 so this allows maxims and motors dominate the field. Plus you have a reliable at gun as well.
11 Oct 2013, 21:09 PM

To be honest going Tier 1 is risky move, since players who tend to use assault grens rush Tier 2 now. This allows them to rush a scout car to destroy any clown cars, which destroys the purpose of T1. My advice is if you go Tier 1, you need the doctrinal at gun or guards on the field and even this is unreliable because they can get a scout car before you reach 1 cp. Going Tier 1 can make the player very vulnerable, also going T2 isn't that bad. The german player most likely skips T1 so this allows maxims and motors dominate the field. Plus you have a reliable at gun as well.

At the moment, Tier 1 just isn't very good for the soviets. The penal troops aren't effective for the cost and the M3 has a pitiful MG mounted on the front and back.
11 Oct 2013, 21:40 PM

Do NOT go M3s. You are just asking for a quick AC to waste your investment. Going AssGrens means they skip T1 completely and will have T2 in no time.

Just play smart with conscripts. They are cheaper than AssGrens, so you can't expect to beat them 1on1. Conscripts are much better at range though, so you can force AssGrens to charge your position where you can bring in another conscript squad.

Move away or enter a house (but not retreat) from Assgrens any time it's a 1on1 situation.

Assgrens are also not too useful in buildings due to their poor range, so take advantage of that.
12 Oct 2013, 02:13 AM

Since Armoured Cars are 25 fuel again, I think they're actually not that big a deal if you also have conscripts + AT nades. If you can trade the M3 for the upgunned AC, that's always a good deal and one scout car won't cover the whole map if there are no fausts.

My general impression is that building hugging makes assault grens waste a lot of time, which is kind of bad if you only have a couple of capping units and expensive as hell grenades. Similarly going either Tier 1 or Tier 2 reasonably early in theory at least should give you an edge against the assault grens. Alternatively, shocks rip them a new one.

I've not played against the assault grens -> T2 build since the patch, and my approach with that doctrine is assault grens/tier 1/shrektrack + tech based on what the Soviet player shows.
12 Oct 2013, 17:38 PM

ill asume you said t2
well the answer would be dont go t2, but still they are vulnerable to suppresion and mortar fire,it is a bit risky since they can grenade them both, t2 is a more defensive aproach, while t1 is a more agresive one. by the time you see assgreen you havent even built a strutcture yet.

I meant to say Tier 2,sorry
14 Oct 2013, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Oct 2013, 02:13 AMBlovski
Since Armoured Cars are 25 fuel again, I think they're actually not that big a deal if you also have conscripts + AT nades. If you can trade the M3 for the upgunned AC, that's always a good deal and one scout car won't cover the whole map if there are no fausts.

My general impression is that building hugging makes assault grens waste a lot of time, which is kind of bad if you only have a couple of capping units and expensive as hell grenades. Similarly going either Tier 1 or Tier 2 reasonably early in theory at least should give you an edge against the assault grens. Alternatively, shocks rip them a new one.

I've not played against the assault grens -> T2 build since the patch, and my approach with that doctrine is assault grens/tier 1/shrektrack + tech based on what the Soviet player shows.

Laying early mines also helps quite a bit as you can usually gimp 2-3 men in a squad with a solid hit. The M3 with upgunned guards seems to do the trick as well as it can mow down assgrens fairly easily and can also defend against scout cars. When you get the overdrive ability is when the M3 shines.
18 Oct 2013, 18:05 PM

Permanently Banned
Play smart with coscripts. I usually get 4 conscripts than heal upgrade, (getting ,molotov is not always required vs assgrens). Pick a doctrine with shock troops and get them on the field soon as you can. Then get t3 or t4.
18 Oct 2013, 18:13 PM

They really really suck at mid/long range. Just keep your cons on the move until you can bring some shocks on the field.
19 Oct 2013, 06:08 AM

Right, Assgrens rip right through a unit of cons, and rightfully so. Two units of cons is a different story. I had my cons stationary and behind cover and was able to tear apart the Assgrens pretty quickly. I was surprised. And this was with them charging me head on and getting into point blank range.
19 Oct 2013, 15:48 PM

The name of AssGren made me can't stop laughing :lol:
26 Oct 2013, 05:33 AM

If you can hold out until T3, your T70 will counter the AssGrens and the Flamer Halftrack or Scout Car. Chances are he won't plan on building PGrens right away out of his T2, so you don't have to worry about shreks until you've already managed to counter everything he has.

Start with 4 Cons and Molotovs. Don't be too aggressive. Keep your cons together and don't get pushed off entirely. If you manage to preserve enough manpower, consider a Fuel OP. Then go T2, but don't build anything out of it yet. You want to get to T3 fast, but you'll need T2 for the Pak. Then T3, T70, Pak, T34s.

As for Commander, I always use GR Combined Arms for any 4 Conscript Build, but anything with PPSh's will do.
27 Oct 2013, 23:32 PM
Patrion 14

In a 2v2 when both players go assaultgrens on say semois, I find it really hard to to flush them out. Just had a crushing loss on Semoisky winter against them (started top). Both players went AGrens first. Jumping into the house by the lower fuel. So not a good idea to sit outside and cap that one. I refocused and tagged along with my teammate to go for the top fuel. Pios went up to cap the cutoff while Agrens from both players coming in in a steady stream. Went t2 after 2 cons and got a maxim out (teammate went t1 penals, flamer, and I think scoutcar) to hold them from the top. (Guess what, bunker at the other entrance...) But the constant hammering and nades flying, upgunscoutcar etc ment we didnt make much of progress, we had the fuel on and off, but since they built bunkers fast to cover the fuel and other approach, it was hard to get past etc etc. We actually inflicted a decent mp loss, but for that we had to give up mapcontrol, and mapcontrol wins the game. :/
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★