Login

russian armor

Model 24 grenades

10 Oct 2013, 05:25 AM

I think this grenade needs a small change. It's most effective when there is still 5 men in the squad, but when you are down to 2-3 men it still costs 60 munitions and u only get half the grenades.

Maybe the cost should be 10 munitions per grenade so if you only have a few men in the squad you can still use it but to less effect?
10 Oct 2013, 06:25 AM

good idea, +1 this
10 Oct 2013, 07:39 AM
Patrion 14

supported. basecost 10, and an addtional 10 per grenade thrown. Or 10 refun for every not thrown, becase this would still require the threshold of 60 wich makes it more consistant and requires less attention from the player.
10 Oct 2013, 08:29 AM
Benefactor 115

same thing should happen when you cancel and only some nades have been thrown
10 Oct 2013, 08:44 AM

I think if you cancel and some nades haven't been throw - full cost. But if you're low on squad members - reduced cost.
10 Oct 2013, 09:20 AM

Sorry but you can cancel throwing animation almost to the last second.

I don't think it's a good idea.
Besides risk of wasting ammunition on a failed throw is a part of a risk-reward concept.
It helps distinguish better players as well.
10 Oct 2013, 13:53 PM

Is anyone finding this nade any good? It seems pretty dreadful for cost even with all 5 men and no dodge.
10 Oct 2013, 18:21 PM

it really depends on luck. it can be amazing or a complete waste. this is because it the only nade i know of that has scatter (maybe a little too much scatter). ive been able to wipe multiple squads in a single building with it. i even killed an m3 with it the other day, although that was mainly do to my opponent getting overconfident since he was fighting assault grens. other times ive used it on conscripts or maxims and not killed a single entity. id say overall, its really only good for buildings, which (i think) is its intended use after all.
10 Oct 2013, 18:28 PM

I think this grenade needs a small change. It's most effective when there is still 5 men in the squad, but when you are down to 2-3 men it still costs 60 munitions and u only get half the grenades.

Maybe the cost should be 10 munitions per grenade so if you only have a few men in the squad you can still use it but to less effect?

Uhm,no...
10 Oct 2013, 18:57 PM

Sounds reasonable, but also hard as hell to program.
10 Oct 2013, 20:40 PM
10 Oct 2013, 20:45 PM

I'm not a game developer, but having done quite a few programs on my own and with others...just how badly designed does the program have to be such that you can't do something like this easily?

Clearly the game can recognize how many squad members are dead/missing (unit counter per squad) and can recognize just how many actions a player can call based on that (# of revives at HQ). Clearly developers can easily modify the # of resources each action/unit can take based on their schizophrenic way of patching and balancing units and abilities so far. Clearly the grenade ability itself already knows how many squad members exist to determine the # of grenades thrown.

On computation and logical grounds (count how many squad members exist -> compute total resource cost by basic multiplication -> execute), it shouldn't take much programming at all unless the developers realized or are paranoid of some glitches, bugs, or security issues when the ability communicates with # of squad members.

Relic HIRE THIS MAN!
10 Oct 2013, 22:47 PM

It's a balance thing as well though.

The grenades are very effective with a full squad. However, your opponent can reduce its effect by shooting down members of the squad, making them waste munitions.

Also, when do you make the check for squad member count? Many people queue up the ability ahead of time, and there is also a wind up animation where the squad can lose men. Then, there's network propagation and input lag. How many times and how often do you check for this one ability? Each time you do a check adds some overhead. People are already complaining about the framerate and input lag.

A few apps and database programming is nothing like complex, real-time, high interactivity game programming.

Not saying that this is acceptable, I'm just pointing out that game development is not as easy as people make it out to be.

A random guy posting something that seems easy in terms of business app programming does not make him suddenly capable of programming in the advanced world of AAA game programming.
10 Oct 2013, 23:54 PM
11 Oct 2013, 00:13 AM

the grenade is the pefect t0 counter to cons in buildings, its a shame its a doctrinal ability because the muni price is just right to almost insta wipe a squad in a buidling
11 Oct 2013, 06:12 AM

I never said game development was easy nor did I ever compare game programming to another area of programming. I merely pointed out that computationally and logically, something like this is extremely simple to program. But if something like this is really hard to program in games, then I raise my hands and be glad I don't need to deal with such difficulties.

It's not about how easy it is to code something like this, but about changing an already existing and very long code. I'm a computer science major(a bit early in my education) but I know that the larger a program gets, the harder it becomes to change minor things in it. Stat changes are usually simple, you pretty much change a number somewhere.
Considering the fact that many of the canceled grenades early on didn't refund makes me believe that the price is always payed up front and then it detects if it was cancelled or not.
With what is suggested you would have to calculate how many units are in the squad, then adjust the price, which means the price displayed would never be right and you would still need 60 munis to start it no matter what as it probably wouldn't be able to calculate before you begin the ability. Not to mention what it should do if you cancel the grenade.
It would just probably be better to just have them throw five grenades regardless of how many men are in the squad.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★