Login

russian armor

Ostheer: new Trenches

30 Apr 2019, 11:04 AM

I do understand that it would require much more work, but it would look much better if sandbags were more randomized and weren't mirrored on the other side. Right now that pattern that repeats 4 times per side is too noticable.
30 Apr 2019, 11:05 AM

So.. do they give garrison cover or normal cover, as in minimal range?

Green cover as sand-bags (so same effect) but extra aura for infantry in it, to get 30% less damage. So also in close comabat units IN the trench have a benefit.

Can vehicles still cross when there are 2-3 trenches built in a row behind each other? Can vehicles cross them from left to right too?

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
30 Apr 2019, 11:09 AM

I do understand that it would require much more work, but it would look much better if sandbags were more randomized and weren't mirrored on the other side. Right now that pattern that repeats 4 times per side is too noticable.

Would be good if tools give me that option, without using more than 100 individual enities and haveing a random spawner.

But I could make a random spawner, for some extra sandbags etc.

The current trench (the one in the video) only uses 10 enities. I made it as minimalistic as possible, so it gets attractive for the patch-team. They only want easy solutions.

-> e.g. My model of the 251/3 in hull-down also needs 5 individual enities. Some of them (sand-bags) are only spawned some more times, but are the same unit.
30 Apr 2019, 12:40 PM

New ability released! The creators of the trench can now also remove them!

30 Apr 2019, 14:21 PM

I just want to thank Widerstreit again here for making this.

And just to clarify, my suggestion comes from The Great War mod for the original CoH altho the difference there is that trenches are smaller but wider sections and it's basically just one sandbag being mirrored with the use of SCAR but you can make some pretty interesting stuff with it:

With that said, Wider has improved upon the design immensly. For instance, the trenches in the above picture are visible in the Fog of War, his are not because of him using the British slit trench blueprint.

I also asked him to make the remove ability so the user can remove a section of the trench in order for team weapons like Pak 40 AT gun could move through the gap.

I'll end my post with some references of the trench systems extensively used on the Eastern Front by both sides as well:

Above picture shows some German soldiers resting in a trench circa 1941-1943, below picture shows civilians digging trenches on the Kursk line.

So all in all, if these trenches are added it would make complete sense for the Eastern Front Armies to have them while the British and OKW get the slit trenches that Wider made as well which are also a vast improvement over the ones we currently have in-game.
30 Apr 2019, 15:12 PM

below picture shows civilians digging trenches on the Kursk line.

This is probably an anti-tank ditch.
30 Apr 2019, 15:13 PM

This is probably an anti-tank ditch.

With my slow-down effect I made something similar. lol
30 Apr 2019, 15:16 PM

With my slow-down effect I made something similar. lol

This actually would be a useful tool to prevent enemy LT circle-stafing you AT gun. I like it.
30 Apr 2019, 16:24 PM

Green cover as sand-bags (so same effect) but extra aura for infantry in it, to get 30% less damage. So also in close comabat units IN the trench have a benefit.

How about giving the trenches yellow cover and an aura of -50% received damage? That would essentially make it green cover at a distance and yellow cover up close, but always reduce damage of explosives (as a trench should).

I don't know if you could do that workaround with green dots tho.
30 Apr 2019, 17:08 PM

How about giving the trenches yellow cover and an aura of -50% received damage? That would essentially make it green cover at a distance and yellow cover up close, but always reduce damage of explosives (as a trench should).

I don't know if you could do that workaround with green dots tho.

No, it isn't possible to manipulate the effects.

But, I can stay with green cover and -40% reseived damage. That is ~ the same effect.

I want NOT to replace the old trench. I want to make a version useful for Germans. And Germans need to be more flexible because of smaller squads AND Osttruppen.

-> The new trench has to be build with more brain -> wirre and tank-traps.

-> Old trench can stay for British and their emplacement style.

Beside Soviets stay with their barricades, Americans get sand-bags (later tank-traps) and OKW should also get an extra structure. (more Westheer-style)

I also want to bring back Panzerzähne (the old tank-traps of CoH1).
30 Apr 2019, 20:53 PM

I really like the look of these and it has good functionality
30 Apr 2019, 21:01 PM

I really like the look of these and it has good functionality

No, it both looks and works better than what we currently have.

The current slit trenches look like a hole dug in the ground and some bushes covering it and they're mostly just used as a cheap tank trap because Osttruppen are better off being in cover than garrisoned, not to mention that they're weak.

These trenches actually could be relevent and see much more use.
30 Apr 2019, 21:16 PM

so it works like an aura when u are inside right ?
30 Apr 2019, 21:24 PM

30 Apr 2019, 21:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

It looks amazing but i can't get out of this feeling that it REALLY needs plenty of testing so there's no weird bugs/exploits going around.

Out of the top of my head:

Retreat paths. (mine combo)
Placing it near buildings. Against doors.

Nevertheless, i think the focus should also be less about balance aspects. If i understood you, you are giving green cover on top of an extra 30% dmg reduction which stacks with the heavy cover bonuses ?

Couldn't you just give it garrison cover instead ?
30 Apr 2019, 21:31 PM

1. Sure, it needs testing. That is why I published it. Patch-Team doesn't give answers.

2. That can be a possibility. Path-Blocking on retreat. (so, is that more broken that a Bofors on retreat?)

3. You can jump over them, I can't see the blocking in front of buildings.

4. Garrison cover: I tried it, but it seems not to make what it should do.

30 Apr 2019, 21:31 PM

No, it both looks and works better than what we currently have.

The current slit trenches look like a hole dug in the ground and some bushes covering it and they're mostly just used as a cheap tank trap because Osttruppen are better off being in cover than garrisoned, not to mention that they're weak.

These trenches actually could be relevent and see much more use.

I think you misinterpreted my comment we both agree that wider's versions is better.

As for actual discussion on this trench style its much more visually appealing and provides some semblance of movement, is it wide enough for Paks to go in?
30 Apr 2019, 21:32 PM

It is wide enough for all support weapons to go in, yes.
30 Apr 2019, 21:37 PM

I wonder, do these new trenches when unfinished block the pathing of infantry?

Not that it's a problem if they do, I feel ghosting will eventually be fixed for all objects.
30 Apr 2019, 21:41 PM

No, they don't. All my objects of my mod don't to that anymore.

Same for tank-traps (tank can road-kill them when not finished)
Wire and Sandbags (inf can pass them while not finished)
AND my new trenches…

I simply made a fix with the normal mod-tool. The Team knows it, because I shared it with them. SCAR isn't needed.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★