Login

russian armor

CoH3 will be MODERN WARFARE ??????

PAGES (11)down
11 Sep 2020, 13:15 PM

Pacific war would be the dead for coh3.

The game mechanics doesnt fit a naval play style. And Balancing would be impossible since the vast difference in technology between the us and Japan.

North africa, Italy and a deeper view of the eastern front are the only topics which fit the coh universe and would be new.
11 Sep 2020, 13:21 PM

I couldn't care less frankly, I'm ok with whatever settings they chose and besides WW2 is way overexplored in the genre, it would certainly be a welcome change.
11 Sep 2020, 14:55 PM

as long as they don't go for futuristic warfare, i'm all in. We already have DoW for all the laser beams and impossible tanks.
11 Sep 2020, 18:28 PM

Pacific war would be the dead for coh3.

The game mechanics doesnt fit a naval play style. And Balancing would be impossible since the vast difference in technology between the us and Japan.

North africa, Italy and a deeper view of the eastern front are the only topics which fit the coh universe and would be new.

Why North Africa, most of the battles is a desert, an empty desert. Yes, there are other battles with varied landscapes, but this will not fully reflect the North Africa Company. I always considered this option to be inferior.
11 Sep 2020, 20:16 PM

Why North Africa, most of the battles is a desert, an empty desert. Yes, there are other battles with varied landscapes, but this will not fully reflect the North Africa Company. I always considered this option to be inferior.

Because Western Europe has been done twice, Relic is too scared to touch Eastern Europe again, and the Pacific simply isn't adaptable to CoH's formula (island hopping, naval combat, air combat, infantry combat is heavily booby trap and ambush based).

Early war, including Africa, is the best bet. I'd like to see North Africa and Eastern Europe, but I doubt Relic wants anything to do with Eastern Europe after they missed the mark so badly that they were met with backlash from Eastern Europeans.
12 Sep 2020, 01:18 AM

Relic is too scared to touch Eastern Europe again [...] I doubt Relic wants anything to do with Eastern Europe after they missed the mark so badly that they were met with backlash from Eastern Europeans.

Which would be a shame imo. The eastern front could be expanded in so many ways.
12 Sep 2020, 06:00 AM

Because Western Europe has been done twice, Relic is too scared to touch Eastern Europe again, and the Pacific simply isn't adaptable to CoH's formula (island hopping, naval combat, air combat, infantry combat is heavily booby trap and ambush based).

Early war, including Africa, is the best bet. I'd like to see North Africa and Eastern Europe, but I doubt Relic wants anything to do with Eastern Europe after they missed the mark so badly that they were met with backlash from Eastern Europeans.

But they must go back to the Eastern Front to fix their reputation. They simply have no choice. The Eastern Front is the most extensive, with a huge number of events and stories - a treasure. Plus a reputation that will make me more picky about their games.
14 Sep 2020, 20:24 PM

But they must go back to the Eastern Front to fix their reputation. They simply have no choice. The Eastern Front is the most extensive, with a huge number of events and stories - a treasure. Plus a reputation that will make me more picky about their games.

Give us the Nashorn, Hetzer, Panzer III, and Flak 88 already.

Also ISU-122 and SU-100.
15 Sep 2020, 06:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Sep 2020, 20:24 PMSpoof

Give us the Nashorn, Hetzer, Panzer III, and Flak 88 already.

Also ISU-122 and SU-100.

Yes, there are a ton of unused units out there, from Soviet to Italian. Many different fronts, countless stories. The Eastern Front is not an excavated treasure, but one Western Front is being sold from time to time. I'm pretty tired of this. Same with Call of Duty: evil KGB Soviets / Russians, trying to take over the whole world. Every damn game
15 Sep 2020, 11:26 AM

How about Korea or the Vietnam War? Or an alternate Cold War history where the Warsaw Pact and NATO went to war, ala "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy.
15 Sep 2020, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't like COH3 to be anything but WW2. Post WW2 you have cold war and a lot of different skirmishes through proxy countries and it would not be a lot of fun designing factions. Besides, future is dominated by C&C, along with modern warfare (C&C Generals).
COH made it's biggest impact in the WW2 era and as such should keep it. Why fix something that ain't broken.

Possible campaigns for WW2 include Africa, Mediterranean, Scandinavia, etc.

It wouldn't be bad that they implement naval warfare (Pacific theater), provided that the engine will receive overhauls (from performance to features)
15 Sep 2020, 12:56 PM

How about Korea or the Vietnam War? Or an alternate Cold War history where the Warsaw Pact and NATO went to war, ala "Red Storm Rising" by Tom Clancy.

Of course, I think Company of Heroes 3 should be in WWII. How many still untold stories and mistakes to fix. But if you go beyond. Then I would prefer:
- "Operation Unthinkable", this is an expanded World War II, many familiar and beloved units + those that did not have time for the war: IS-3, T-44, SKS-45, AS-44 and the continuation of Soviet assault rifles, Centurion, ARL-44 ... This is really great.
- "Caribbean Crisis", this is the closest moment when the WW3 could happen. And if you take the units, then there are no Main Tanks, a lot of missiles. It would be World War II on steroids. Early helicopters for infantry dropping. I think this is a great option.
15 Sep 2020, 15:23 PM

Post WW2 you have cold war and a lot of different skirmishes through proxy countries and it would not be a lot of fun designing factions.

Early cold war (before big MBTs, ATGMs, etc.) in a fictional gone hot scenario would easily fit CoH's gameplay and the possibilities for factions (all NATO vs Warsaw Pact countries) are much bigger than WWII factions. The Wargame series were set in this setting and they were excellent games with faction variety going through the roof.
15 Sep 2020, 15:55 PM

Early cold war (before big MBTs, ATGMs, etc.) in a fictional gone hot scenario would easily fit CoH's gameplay and the possibilities for factions (all NATO vs Warsaw Pact countries) are much bigger than WWII factions. The Wargame series were set in this setting and they were excellent games with faction variety going through the roof.

+1
15 Sep 2020, 18:52 PM

15 Sep 2020, 20:20 PM

Dune Coh would be funnier with the worms as RNG plane crash lol.
17 Sep 2020, 17:57 PM

50s-70s NATO vs Warsaw Pact/Proxy wars would have been very interesting. 80s-00s modern stuff is extremely boring to me. I'd rather another WW2 setting over modern stuff.
19 Sep 2020, 08:00 AM

I made some notes for a Vietnam gone WW3 setting where USA/ARVN are at war with China/PAVN. I think it'd be great because the mixture of weaponry present in Vietnam is almost as interesting as World War II. You had Carbines like the M1/M2 and SKS, Battle Rifles like the M1 Garand and M14 and MAS-49, Assault Rifles like the Type-56/AKM and M16, and Submachine Guns were not irrelevant yet. The use of helicopters would add some interesting abilities like dropping off a squad or acting as a temporary reinforcement point, not to mention close-air-support that is more responsive than loitering airplanes.

US ARMY

U.S.G.I. - US Army riflemen, their superior marksmanship allows them to excel at ranged combat, but they can be overwhelmed by close range attacks.
5 men with M14 Battle Rifles, can upgrade to 3 M16 Assault Rifles.
Ability to throw M26 Fragmentation Grenade, and fire M72 LAW.

Notes: USGI are designed to be contrasted with PAVN Troops, using long range semi-automatic weapons as opposed to the rapid-fire assault rifles. Their upgrade to M16 rifles improves their firepower at all ranges and reflects the Army's attempts to catch up to their adversary.

PEOPLE'S ARMY OF VIETNAM (NORTH VIETNAM)

PAVN Troops - Low quality Infantry with high quality gear, inferior at long range but can overwhelm an enemy with superior firepower up close.
6 men with Type-56 Assault Rifles, can upgrade to 1 RPD Light Machine Gun.
Ability to throw Fragmentation Grenade, and use undetermined anti-tank projectile.

Notes: Same as mentioned above, but the addition of a magazine fed light machine gun (automatic rifle style profile) will improve their damage and allow them to hold their ground once the Americans get M16's.

ARMY OF THE REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM (SOUTH VIETNAM)

ARVN Riflemen - The backbone of South Vietnam, the ARVN Riflemen suffer from outdated equipment, but make up for it in availability.
5 men armed with four M1 Garands and one M1918 Automatic Rifle, can be upgraded to 4 M2 Carbines OR replace M1918 with M1919A6.
Ability to throw Mk II Fragmentation Grenade, Fire M72 LAW.

Notes: The ARVN are equipped with US war surplus from past conflicts, they're heavily contrasted by the more modern PAVN. The free stock BAR helps lesson the blow of casualties against superior firepower, and they can be reconfigured for aggressive or defensive tactics with their upgrades.

PEOPLE'S LIBERATION ARMY OF CHINA

Skirmish Troops (T1) - Light infantry tasked with probing enemy positions and holding captured territory.
6 men armed with Type 56 Semi-Auto Rifles (SKS)
Abilities to be determined. May have some 'retreat from suppression' ability to emphasize their probing role.

Frontline Troops (T2) - Highly trained and devoted volunteers, these soldiers are best used to exploit gaps in enemy defences.
6 men armed with Type 56 Automatic Rifles.
Ability to throw Fragmentation Grenade.

Notes: The use of 2 stages of infantry is an interesting and unique concept, like Grenadiers and Panzergrenadiers or Conscripts and Shock Troops. The conceptual use is for Skirmish Troops to probe and engage the enemy while Frontline Troops take more aggressive actions. As the name suggests, Frontline Troops will become the predominant unit of the PLA by late-game.

Some other squads and units:

23 Sep 2020, 02:00 AM

I'd buy that for a dollar!
26 Sep 2020, 15:17 PM

PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L