Login

russian armor

CoH3 will be MODERN WARFARE ??????

PAGES (11)down
30 Apr 2019, 06:19 AM

I am thinking of the Modern War / Cold War, which is not bad, but as many have rightly noted: it may not be appropriate on small maps and mechanics of the Company of Heroes: missiles, distance, main battle tanks, aircraft.

Earlier time without missiles and main battle tanks:
- Operation Unthinkable, it guards us with familiar and favorite units and will give those who did not have time to World War II: Centurion, Alecto I, ARL-44, T-44, IS-3, ZSU-37.
- Caribbean crisis: a huge number of tanks, artillery, early helicopters. Without the main battle tanks and missiles, at that time the Second World Small Arms were together with assault rifles.

I also don’t mind staying in the Second World Theme (after all, this is my favorite topic), but I’m against the third time playing the same United States and Britain. COH2 was supposed to be the Eastern Front, but this did not happen. Make work on failures, make a quality Eastern Front story: focus on one event, for example, the battle for Hungary, this will give a new Soviet faction and a new Axis faction: Hungary.
30 Apr 2019, 08:05 AM

I am thinking of the Modern War / Cold War, which is not bad, but as many have rightly noted: it may not be appropriate on small maps and mechanics of the Company of Heroes: missiles, distance, main battle tanks, aircraft.

Earlier time without missiles and main battle tanks:
- Operation Unthinkable, it guards us with familiar and favorite units and will give those who did not have time to World War II: Centurion, Alecto I, ARL-44, T-44, IS-3, ZSU-37.
- Caribbean crisis: a huge number of tanks, artillery, early helicopters. Without the main battle tanks and missiles, at that time the Second World Small Arms were together with assault rifles.

I also don’t mind staying in the Second World Theme (after all, this is my favorite topic), but I’m against the third time playing the same United States and Britain. COH2 was supposed to be the Eastern Front, but this did not happen. Make work on failures, make a quality Eastern Front story: focus on one event, for example, the battle for Hungary, this will give a new Soviet faction and a new Axis faction: Hungary.

Honestly dude if you want proper Eastern Front go try out the mod for COH, it's basically an unofficial community expansion to the game which would add so much more to the game and rack in money that I'm still wondering why they haven't made it official.

Microsoft also greenlit 2 community expansions for AoE2HD on Steam so I see nothing wrong with it.
30 Apr 2019, 08:17 AM

Honestly dude if you want proper Eastern Front go try out the mod for COH, it's basically an unofficial community expansion to the game which would add so much more to the game and rack in money that I'm still wondering why they haven't made it official.

Microsoft also greenlit 2 community expansions for AoE2HD on Steam so I see nothing wrong with it.

I tried the Eastern Front mod and it exists for many years but still looks poorly: a terrible fraction of the design and balance, low-quality textures. If you compare with the Blitzkrieg mod that looks very high quality. The problem of mods is still mods, few people play in them, their support is still worse than if the studio was engaged in it, even if these people really love their mod, they are limited in resources and time. Plus I like KoH2 more than KoH1 (Graphics, mechanics, gameplay) and would like it to evolve more.
30 Apr 2019, 09:36 AM

Would love me some Fallschirmjägers landing on Crete like in the mod for CoH.

But them asking people about WW2 and then doing a modern setting doesn't make sense.
Oh my quote was for IF there would be a modern war coh i think that would be cool but yeah if WW2 it would be great to see italy vs greece at the start that greece countered italys attack but against germany and italy they both conquered greece
30 Apr 2019, 10:26 AM

Modern war might be a really awesome theme.... tho I gotta admit that I would be a little bit scared by this change as well since we're all used to pure WW2 setting.

I wonder if they would go for an existing scenario -such as cold war- or if they come up with a fictitious war, for example as in C&C Generals where we had USA, China and the Middle East ("GLA") fighting against each other.

I would really like a fictitious Cold War gone Hot type scenario. Not only does it have a massive variety of units and potential factions its something new that could be really interesting imo.
30 Apr 2019, 11:03 AM

biggest problem with such a scenario will be butthurt nationalist countries
30 Apr 2019, 11:06 AM

Butthurt nationalist country was very vocal about CoH2, didn't had impact other then potentially thousands less of russian hacker kids playing the game.
30 Apr 2019, 11:22 AM

Pick one:
1) Have no problems with nationalist counties
2) Portray army that contributed most into defeat of best army in the world as bunch of conscripts and penals (a company of "heroes")
30 Apr 2019, 12:31 PM
Senior Editor Badge

An interesting comment from Mittens on reddit:

Don't forget the one time Quinn Duffy said they could take the franchise anywhere in history or future.

Vietnam or cold war gone hot would be fun and still hold the Coh basic gameplay and charm. Guided misses wouldn't be in mass, Lavs and Humvees would be useful, still hold light tanks and MBTs, introduction on helos (transport, scout, heavy), flashbangs, fast ropes, shotguns?, gas masks?, napalm, tow at guns?.

There's lots of stuff that you can translate over.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/biv97b/coh3_will_be_modern_warfare/em4pwaa/

I agree completely. Planes /attacks helis/ UAVs can be off map assets and the infantry close combat one of the highlights of this setting.
30 Apr 2019, 14:06 PM

Pick one:
1) Have no problems with nationalist counties
2) Portray army that contributed most into defeat of best army in the world as bunch of conscripts and penals (a company of "heroes")

Not to mention same Army strapping explosives to dogs to use them as improvised anti-tank devices and failing miserably.

Soviets didn't even have their own Halftrack or rocket propelled grenade launcher well after the war was over.
30 Apr 2019, 14:43 PM

How so? They got elite infantry like snipers, guards and shock troops as well.

And it's not like every german soldier is being portrayed as a valiant elite knightcrossholder. They also have Osttruppen and Volksgrenadiers (= juveniles and old men)
30 Apr 2019, 14:47 PM

And it's not like every german soldier is being portrayed as a valiant elite knightcrossholder. They also have Osttruppen and Volksgrenadiers (= juveniles and old men)

As much as Volksgrenadiers are portrayed as such in both games in reality they were wounded veterans and sometimes older soldiers equipped with stuff like the StG 44s to make up for their lack of numbers.

I don't think Germany was as stupid to give probably the best infantry weapons during the war to "juveniles and old men".
30 Apr 2019, 14:58 PM

As much as Volksgrenadiers are portrayed as such in both games in reality they were wounded veterans and sometimes older soldiers equipped with stuff like the StG 44s to make up for their lack of numbers.

I don't think Germany was as stupid to give probably the best infantry weapons during the war to "juveniles and old men".

Volksgrenadiers were in most cases just flat out bad because they were old, untrained men and super young (16!)students who were not mentally prepared for the battles. That being said the WHOLE quality of german infantry was a lot worse in 1944/1945. If you read the files in the archives you can ALWAYS find complaints of german officers abut the lower infantry quality. "The Brave are all dead and we did not get quality replacements" is a sentence you will find a lot in wehrmacht files or privat correspondence of officers.

About Stg44:
I just read an article about the STg44 and you will be surprised to hear that the weapons were indeed distributed over all divisions without a clear plan or main emphasis. Same for g43.
30 Apr 2019, 15:04 PM

The volksgrenadier division was pretty messy. It was a mix of soldiers across the whole range. Juveniles and old men as well as experienced veterans and regular soldiers who were simply shifted to another division.

Also what Smartie said
30 Apr 2019, 15:09 PM

You forget that in the Volksgrenadier Division not all soldiers were veterans, but a certain percentage. For example in the 79th Volksgrenadier Division only 10% were veterans the rest were conscripts, while the Volksgrenadier Division had 6,000 people in the division at that time in the Grenadier Division was 16,000 until 1944, and after reorganization (when the Volksgrenadier Division was created) 12,000 people.
30 Apr 2019, 15:12 PM

Doctrinal solution to non-doctrinal problem :nahnah:
30 Apr 2019, 15:22 PM

Korean war would have been a better mix of old and new tech imo.

Or stick with ww2
30 Apr 2019, 16:34 PM

Cold war gone hot would be pretty interesting- if anything to have different factions squaring off against each other for a change. As different as something like African theater would be you're still stuck with Germany vs. Allies. (Italy might be different but I have a hard time thinking it'd be much different unit wise). Throwing a new faction like China into the mix would be much more fresh and interesting.
30 Apr 2019, 17:03 PM

Not to mention same Army strapping explosives to dogs to use them as improvised anti-tank devices and failing miserably.

Soviets didn't even have their own Halftrack or rocket propelled grenade launcher well after the war was over.

Maybe if you actually studied history you would've figured out you dont need any of those things when you have overwhelming advantage in numbers and quality of armored vehicles by the of the war
30 Apr 2019, 17:08 PM

The difference is they have Grenadiers (the gold standard that other units are balanced around) and Panzergrenadiers (the most elite non-doctrinal infantry until Obersoldaten). On the other hand it's been a quirk noted time and time again, the Soviet Army has no general infantry, it is an army comprised entirely of Conscripts, Penals, and Elites, with no regular backbone. Even today during the various faction shufflings and rebalances, there's still a faint voice that comes through every now and then, whispering in the night: "Add Strelki"

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Apr 2019, 14:58 PMSmartie
Volksgrenadiers were in most cases just flat out bad because they were old, untrained men and super young (16!)students who were not mentally prepared for the battles. That being said the WHOLE quality of german infantry was a lot worse in 1944/1945. If you read the files in the archives you can ALWAYS find complaints of german officers abut the lower infantry quality. "The Brave are all dead and we did not get quality replacements" is a sentence you will find a lot in wehrmacht files or privat correspondence of officers.
The volksgrenadier division was pretty messy. It was a mix of soldiers across the whole range. Juveniles and old men as well as experienced veterans and regular soldiers who were simply shifted to another division.
You forget that in the Volksgrenadier Division not all soldiers were veterans, but a certain percentage. For example in the 79th Volksgrenadier Division only 10% were veterans the rest were conscripts, while the Volksgrenadier Division had 6,000 people in the division at that time in the Grenadier Division was 16,000 until 1944, and after reorganization (when the Volksgrenadier Division was created) 12,000 people.

Volksgrenadiers and Volkssturm are often confused. Volksgrenadier Divisions were supposed to represent the resurgence of a modernized German Army. As such they were equipped in large numbers with StG 44's and Panzerfausts, but also Machine Guns. They were organized into groups of 2 Assault Platoons (StG) and 1 Rifle Platoon, each also including several Machine Guns, with additional Machine Guns distributed as seen fit by the Commander.

All that firepower of course is to compensate for the lack of manpower, Volksgrenadier divisions were smaller than Grenadier divisions, around 1/2 to 1/3, and quality varied greatly. To compensate for the lack of experience, they were organized around clusters of veteran soldiers and led by veteran officers. Some units were conscripts with rushed training, while others were redundant personnel transferred from the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine and performed admirably.

And yes, some were old men and teenagers, but the Volkssturm is where they really started using WW1 Veterans and sub-17 year olds.
PAGES (11)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 40
New Zealand 38
Germany 12
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W