Option Distribution Votes
25%
13%
19%
44%
Total votes: 16
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
19 Apr 2019, 12:02 PM

The abandon mechanic is one of the less appreciated RNG mechanics in the game. Relic doesn't want to remove it, so why not implement it in the way it's done in Ardennes Assault?

It could be done like so:
- Recrewing the abandoned vehicle would cost half the fuel of what it costs to build it.
- The abandoned vehicle can still be repaired in the meantime.
- The 'refueling' would be instant.
- Only applies to vehicles that got the abandon death crit (so not USF decrewed vehicles).
- Abandoned vehicles without fuel cost would cost 5 fuel to recrew.

Here's what it looks like in the campaign:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM0whPUvtEY&t=5m8s

This would make the abandon mechanic both slightly less punishing for the one who lost the vehicle and slightly less rewarding for the one that gets the vehicle. Right now it's far too game-changing for something that involves so much RNG (5% chance).
19 Apr 2019, 12:07 PM

Why?
You do realize its pretty much immobilized wreckage when its abandoned and has destroyed engine?
You already need to commit a lengthy time to repair it.

It makes zero sense for multiplayer balance and campaign mission servers specific purpose of MISSION OBJECTIVE, not gameplay mechanic.
19 Apr 2019, 12:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Apr 2019, 12:07 PMKatitof
Why?
You do realize its pretty much immobilized wreckage when its abandoned and has destroyed engine?
You already need to commit a lengthy time to repair it.

- Abandoned vehicles on the frontline would be dead either way.
- 1 minute of repair time doesn't weigh up to a free tank worth 100+ fuel.

With this idea you would still be rewarded with a vehicle at half the fuel cost (instead of zero), far lower manpower cost and no tech.
19 Apr 2019, 12:14 PM

The abandon mechanic's problem is it's a 5% probability.

That's far too unlikely to plan around, so in practice you get randomly screwed.

Either ditch it entirely or rework it into something more reliable but less powerful. For example, increase the abandon chance to 20%, but you can't recrew the vehicle until it's fully repaired.
19 Apr 2019, 16:06 PM

I don't like at all the idea of paying fuel for a derelict tank, that had fuel just before it got its crew killed, abandon.

If you want to adjust the punish/reward system, you could set that captured vehicles operate at 50-66% their original firepower. Because crews were not trained for mechanized corps duty. USF could be an exception since they have trained crewman.
19 Apr 2019, 16:17 PM

I like the mechanics of abandoned tanks for what it is, it makes the game more alive. I hope in the future parts they will not abandon this mechanics.
19 Apr 2019, 17:56 PM

Improving it for me would be removing it. It's a dumb feature, and the US have a bit of an unfair advantage since all their vehicle crews have engine repair. Makes it way easier to "steal" the tank.

Especially in 2s. I've had my partner recrew tanks that would be impossible to get away with, but I just hop my crew out for a sec and now it can drive back to base
19 Apr 2019, 18:38 PM

Improving it for me would be removing it. It's a dumb feature...

Because you don't like it doesn't make it dumb.
Other person could consider your comment pretty offensive, especially if they like the abandon mechanic.

Imo out of control tanks could be abandoned too.
It's pretty easy to deny the abandoned tank, it's just another attack from the weakest of guns
19 Apr 2019, 18:43 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I have a great idea for the abandon mechanic

delete
19 Apr 2019, 18:57 PM

Other person could consider your comment pretty offensive, especially if they like the abandon mechanic.

Imo out of control tanks could be abandoned too.
It's pretty easy to deny the abandoned tank, it's just another attack from the weakest of guns

I agree, this is a lot of fun. This is one shot of debris, for which the bloody battle begins. I have a lot of such cases from which I received joy:
19 Apr 2019, 19:06 PM

I explained exactly why I thought it was dumb. Stop quoting me and ignoring context

Stop being a troll
19 Apr 2019, 19:22 PM

I have a lot better but absolutely improbable idea, which is one for CoH3:

Have the abandon itself happen consistently via certain sets of circumstances
For example, if a vehicle has less than 20% of health AND at least one crit, and then gets hit by a nade or molotov (snares excluded), it gets abbandoned.

It would retain the purpose of discouraging dives but be less infuriating

P.S. As someone already said, it makes the game livelier and deeper so I would also hate to see it just removed (as happened to the winter mechanics)

Here´s something that´s true in 95% of cases:

19 Apr 2019, 19:32 PM

I do think the mechanic needs reworked but I don't think this is the way to go about it. Maybe if the kill comes from a paid ability, or the kill happens in friendly territory (chance to recover), or heck the kill happens in any base territory (chance to recover/extra risk for base inspections).
19 Apr 2019, 19:41 PM

I have a great idea for the abandon mechanic

delete

This.
We already have MGD crits to flip-off players from time to time.
We don't need Abandon on top of it.
19 Apr 2019, 19:49 PM

This.
We already have MGD crits to flip-off players from time to time.
We don't need Abandon on top of it.

That's right, let's make the game more boring, the game has already lost the blizzard, the factions have lost their uniqueness and become mirror clones, let's kill the latest mechanics that made CoH2 unique and unlike other strategies.
19 Apr 2019, 20:47 PM

Cover, surpression, angles, retreating, veterancy and many other concepts will remain in the game.
Unless you think abandons turning games around is what makes this game entertaining.
19 Apr 2019, 21:06 PM

let's kill the latest mechanics that made CoH2 unique and unlike other strategies.

Please point out the strategy to me in a mechanic that has a 5% chance of occurring. Is don't ever go for flanks/dives the strategy?

If you want the mechanic completely reworked that's one thing. I don't know how anyone can defend it as it currently is. The risk of losing your tank on a dive is enough threat. Doubling your losses because the computer decided it was time makes no sense in a strategy game
19 Apr 2019, 21:07 PM

Cover, surpression, angles, retreating, veterancy and many other concepts will remain in the game.
Unless you think abandons turning games around is what makes this game entertaining.

For me, yes, CoH 2 of 2014 with a bunch of new mechanics, with more unique fractions and problems much more fun than CoH2 of sample 2019, people call it a balance, I call it castration. It was possible to keep the mechanics and balance the game, but it is always easier to go the easy way - to remove the thing that would facilitate work.
19 Apr 2019, 21:10 PM

Please point out the strategy to me in a mechanic that has a 5% chance of occurring. Is don't ever go for flanks/dives the strategy?

If you want the mechanic completely reworked that's one thing. I don't know how anyone can defend it as it currently is. The risk of losing your tank on a dive is enough threat. Doubling your losses because the computer decided it was time makes no sense in a strategy game

Reading comprehension is very hard, so I'll hand you a helping hand and help you understand:

19 Apr 2019, 21:24 PM

I said above: it's fun, it's an event inside the game to save the tank or to destroy it. If the tanks were abandoned in 100% I would understand the whine, but here only a measly 5% they add only fun. In reality, tankers left their tanks after the first shell hit the tank, and the winner got a lot of trophies.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★