Login

russian armor

Please give the MG42 back some bite and other musings

29 Sep 2013, 16:23 PM

Right now they are too much of a liability to even make and not very useful resulting in snoozefest early game gren spam vs conscript spam. There's no variability in strategies. Granted that pre-nerfstick they were a bit too powerful, but there was no need to single handily decrease hp, setup time, dmg dealt, and suppression time without testing the in game effects on the meta. The overuse of rng criticals and the decreased suppression make it pretty easy to just walk up to an mg and throw a molotov - poof, gone. What has happened is a lynchpin that differentiated the two factions from each other has become useless and highly ineffective. Now, parody reigns supreme.

What is so hard about making it so the mg42 functions exactly the same as the VCoH version? Furthermore, why does this current group at relic insist on overdoing something, and then trying to reign it back in rather than incrementally testing/doing what is necessary to bring units to a comfortable standard? Why not just decrease the hp of the mg and the swing rate (but less than you already did - it wasn't THAT heavy) but leave the suppression (sans the bulletin)? This is resulting in a clusterfuck for the meta which, with each patch, gets more and more ridiculous and random. The game is just so boring, and there is almost 0 variety in the early game. You add in new units and then after a day or two make them unusable (like seriously, who can afford the munitions cost of assault grens now and still win?). From a technical standpoint with the introduction of debilitating elements like blizzards, input lag, and p2p/screen lag, and MORE rng elements than its predecessor the game is already years behind other games on the market - even on outdated consoles. It's insanely frustrating to think that you're still charging people dlc prices for a game that can barely work without crashing or lagging. Why make it so hard on yourself? Clearly you were underfunded, and you don't have the capabilities either within the framework of your own game, which you can't even add leader boards into, or from the staff to construct a viable vision with much cohesion. Borrow from your last game that actually was a success and an achievement. If the guys you brought in to help test your game in the first place actually still played it, you could ask them, but they've been turned off, even the guy who wrote a strategy guide for the game.

29 Sep 2013, 16:50 PM

The HMG42 is just fine.

The overuse of rng criticals and the decreased suppression make it pretty easy to just walk up to an mg and throw a molotov - poof, gone.

While flanking or using 2 squads against 1 HMG yes, but that is the way it should be. It doesn`t happen that a conscript squad would just walk through the arc like np. Plus the RNG works both ways, I just had a game where a guy threw molotov on my HMG, did a little bit of dmg, no deaths, I didn`t even need to reposition.
29 Sep 2013, 17:01 PM

Plus the RNG works both ways, I just had a game where a guy threw molotov on my HMG, did a little bit of dmg, no deaths, I didn`t even need to reposition.

Maybe for a game of Russian roulette, but not for a strategy game.

With the slow suppression speed and vulnerability of the MG42 team in its current form, I have no incentive to build it versus upgrading my grenadiers with LMGs and using the extra manpower for something else (maybe a mortar instead).
29 Sep 2013, 17:40 PM

Have you all even tried the mg42 post patch? Do you remember what mg42s were like in COH1? They work fine now and still do what they are supposed to, support infantry and lock areas down. I use mg42s every game I play as German and still get what I pay for.

Sure they can be flanked now but isn't that their design? You are trading firepower for a more unwieldy defensive unit. Gameplay is more interesting now; just be more careful with how you position them.
29 Sep 2013, 17:45 PM

? Are you any good at the game chunk?
29 Sep 2013, 17:53 PM

before, the mg would suppress squads even if there is one guy afront of the mg while the rest is behind the mg, glad to see that gone.

the mg should not suppress squads in heavy cover at long range. before, the mg42 would suppress squads even if they were in heavy cover.

because of the mg42s long range and the low vision range of your units. therefore it's very easy to ambush and suppress enemy squads so there were no reason to support your mg since all you have to do is scout with your pios and suppress enemy squads. at least with the decreased suppression the squads will able to walk away before getting suppressed.

with this new patch even though squads get suppressed slower they get pinned faster. as of now the mg42 is perfect since it slaughters infantry if they get to close and it's a support weapon not a frontline unit. use it right support it.
29 Sep 2013, 19:33 PM

I agree, HMG's are support weapon, not final solution to everything it happens to be in their fire arc... Also this made flanking a viable tactic now, what is very great news.
29 Sep 2013, 19:50 PM

Yeah this is just QQ.

Learn to play, MG's are fine now and they were ridiculous before. If your pissed that your 1 MG cant surpress his whole army and you cant just leave it on easymode and make MG's and never have to reposition then fuck off. Use some tactics and micro.
29 Sep 2013, 20:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2013, 19:50 PMRubbers
Yeah this is just QQ.

Learn to play, MG's are fine now and they were ridiculous before. If your pissed that your 1 MG cant surpress his whole army and you cant just leave it on easymode and make MG's and never have to reposition then fuck off. Use some tactics and micro.

True s**t bro :)
29 Sep 2013, 21:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2013, 19:50 PMRubbers
Yeah this is just QQ.

Is this a joke?

Learn to play? What is your rank? How many games have you played? Did you play VCoH?

The problem with this community is that the best players never post their critical opinion of balance for whatever reason, they simply stop playing. The forums are more for a bunch of mediocre at best scrubbies to converse with each other.

I should have never posted in the first place. The game blows anyways, enjoy.
29 Sep 2013, 22:18 PM
Donator 11

Is this a joke?

Learn to play? What is your rank? How many games have you played? Did you play VCoH?

The problem with this community is that the best players never post their critical opinion of balance for whatever reason, they simply stop playing. The forums are more for a bunch of mediocre at best scrubbies to converse with each other.

I should have never posted in the first place. The game blows anyways, enjoy.

can i have your stuff?
29 Sep 2013, 22:47 PM

The last question blew my mind. Apparently even if you were the god of CoH2 himself you are an absolute and utter shit unless you played vCoH :D

I apologize for the off-topic but this is just too funny to ignore.
29 Sep 2013, 22:56 PM

After the Hotfix I think its definitly ok. Maybe a additional buff like the Hotfix is needed, or a change to the interaction between the mgs, but I can't agree with the op. If you have an mg setup and another unit infront and bait the enemys into it both enemys have to retreat. Maybe it should surpress more units at once if they are very near to each other. But really, only small changes or even none.

And most important: Let's wait a bit and let's see how it plays out, with the new patch. The meta is changing, the new commanders will be balanced, everything changes. No need to bring another variable into the equation.
30 Sep 2013, 08:51 AM

Right now they are too much of a liability to even make and not very useful resulting in snoozefest early game gren spam vs conscript spam. There's no variability in strategies. Granted that pre-nerfstick they were a bit too powerful, but there was no need to single handily decrease hp, setup time, dmg dealt, and suppression time without testing the in game effects on the meta. The overuse of rng criticals and the decreased suppression make it pretty easy to just walk up to an mg and throw a molotov - poof, gone. What has happened is a lynchpin that differentiated the two factions from each other has become useless and highly ineffective. Now, parody reigns supreme.

What is so hard about making it so the mg42 functions exactly the same as the VCoH version? Furthermore, why does this current group at relic insist on overdoing something, and then trying to reign it back in rather than incrementally testing/doing what is necessary to bring units to a comfortable standard? Why not just decrease the hp of the mg and the swing rate (but less than you already did - it wasn't THAT heavy) but leave the suppression (sans the bulletin)? This is resulting in a clusterfuck for the meta which, with each patch, gets more and more ridiculous and random. The game is just so boring, and there is almost 0 variety in the early game. You add in new units and then after a day or two make them unusable (like seriously, who can afford the munitions cost of assault grens now and still win?). From a technical standpoint with the introduction of debilitating elements like blizzards, input lag, and p2p/screen lag, and MORE rng elements than its predecessor the game is already years behind other games on the market - even on outdated consoles. It's insanely frustrating to think that you're still charging people dlc prices for a game that can barely work without crashing or lagging. Why make it so hard on yourself? Clearly you were underfunded, and you don't have the capabilities either within the framework of your own game, which you can't even add leader boards into, or from the staff to construct a viable vision with much cohesion. Borrow from your last game that actually was a success and an achievement. If the guys you brought in to help test your game in the first place actually still played it, you could ask them, but they've been turned off, even the guy who wrote a strategy guide for the game.

There is something that's really easy to use that's called a paragraph, try using it next time.

Anyway aren't you that whining kid the other day that cried because I killed your mortar with a Molotov, that you didn't retreat after it had been burning for 30 secs, then blamed input delay...

Take your elitist attitude somewhere else, you acted like a total utter clown the other day in game, trolling, whining and baiting for a fight. Go back to Call of Duty.
30 Sep 2013, 12:21 PM
Donator 11

yeah just leave coh and take the whole laid clan with you.. you and your elitist friends will not be missed.
30 Sep 2013, 12:53 PM

LOL @ gamers telling Davd L2P.

Soviet fanboys upset because a good player makes a reasonable suggestion that dares to suggesting buffing the overly-nerfed MG42.
30 Sep 2013, 13:39 PM

There is something that's really easy to use that's called a paragraph, try using it next time.

Anyway aren't you that whining kid the other day that cried because I killed your mortar with a Molotov, that you didn't retreat after it had been burning for 30 secs, then blamed input delay...

Take your elitist attitude somewhere else, you acted like a total utter clown the other day in game, trolling, whining and baiting for a fight. Go back to Call of Duty.

LOL that was NOT me. That would be Slim - a top 5 player in VCoH. You got worked in that game though and left so gj on your part. Thanks for proving my point about the skils-forum posting gap. To be sure, input lag is a real issue just like the boring meta, blizzards, and bad maps. Also a real issue is stupidity.
30 Sep 2013, 13:51 PM

LOL that was NOT me. That would be Slim - a top 5 player in VCoH. You got worked in that game though and left so gj on your part. Thanks for proving my point about the skils-forum posting gap. To be sure, input lag is a real issue just like the boring meta, blizzards, and bad maps. Also a real issue is stupidity.

Actually yeah it was you and if I recall correctly it was Slim who did 90% of the work in that game and all you did was spam Grens mortars and a FHT, lots of skills involved there. Anyway if the game is not good enough for an elitist like yourself, go back to Call of Duty where you belong.
30 Sep 2013, 13:54 PM
Benefactor 115

That would be Slim - a top 5 player in VCoH

never heard of him
Kat
30 Sep 2013, 14:08 PM

Sadly, I have to agree with Dave on every point he makes here.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 43
unknown 29
Russian Federation 72

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak