Login

russian armor

Removing random flamethrower self-detonation

29 Sep 2013, 08:04 AM
Honorary Member Badge

60 munitions is a fairly hefty sum early on, and there shouldn't be a chance for the man carrying the flamethrower to instantly evaporate to a critical, costing you the investment and often the squad. It's just annoying as the user of the flamethrower squad to lose it to RNG, and as the opponent there's no satisfaction in winning through luck.
Perhaps if there wasn't a chance for the flamethrower to explode when the man carrying it died, and when the squad was wiped out to the last man the flamethrower explosion animation would run instead? That way the animation asset wouldn't be wasted.

And then there are anti-tank grenades and fausts- would it not be better to standardize them such that only light engine damage can be taken? There really is no reason to allow the chance of heavy engine damage- it's frustrating to lose to RNG on the receiving end, especially where the first tank's fate can make or break a game. As the person fausting or ATnading, you can't count on heavy engine damage criticals to tip a fight anyway even now. Either way a change to eliminate heavy engine damage from handheld AT abilities would, I think, benefit the game in that you would know exactly what you're going to get- instead of getting screwed over by bad luck.
29 Sep 2013, 09:02 AM

I often play games where teammates bitch incessently about how we lost and and start spamming "Surrendur" nag screens, until my tank shows up and saves the day. In a 1v1 it can make or break the game, but in other game modes you have more flexibility.

RNG is RNG... What pisses me off more than anything is full health buildings being hit by lucky mortor shots and wasting my squads, but they aren't going to take that out. Its nice to be on the giving end sometimes too :D
29 Sep 2013, 10:06 AM

Permanently Banned
Agreed. Fun cinematically, but really too unpredictable for reliable gaming.

Perhaps reduce the critical so that only carrying model dies.

Per my observations, the current resultant explosion now has a very real potential to wipe the squad entirely.
29 Sep 2013, 10:17 AM

Personally, I like both the way they are currently.
29 Sep 2013, 11:37 AM

Completely agree with OP.

An investment in an RTS should be that - an investment, not something you can lose ridiculously quickly.
29 Sep 2013, 12:38 PM

Agree with OP

I had 1 or 2 occasions where I lost entire flame squad together with ammo investment without dealing almost any damage in return. Its a huge handicap early on in the game. Especially on maps with buildnings, ammo gone. Have to wait long time for a new flame, and unit short.......
29 Sep 2013, 12:44 PM

I am perfectly ok with the current situation regarding this. RNG is a part of what this game is, it`s like a little bit of rage inducing spice that gives the game its identity and makes it funny.

I could live with the percentual chance of flamethrower explosion being lowered a bit if the devs really see it as neccessary. Will there be any consequences though, for example flamethrower dropping more often as a result? That could just turn one source of whining into another...

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2013, 11:37 AMhubewa
An investment in an RTS should be that - an investment, not something you can lose ridiculously quickly.

The possibility of loosing something "ridiculously quickly" doesn`t disqualify it from being an investment, look at financial markets :] I am just nitpicking here though, no offense intended.
29 Sep 2013, 13:12 PM

things will change with new patch don't worry
29 Sep 2013, 13:28 PM

the random factor is powerful in this game, has always been so and always will be

sometimes a grenade destroys a building, other times it does not kill even a man ...

u care ? its "normal" ...
29 Sep 2013, 14:46 PM

The possibility of loosing something "ridiculously quickly" doesn`t disqualify it from being an investment, look at financial markets :] I am just nitpicking here though, no offense intended.

None taken

But in a strategy game, investing in something big in the early game like a flamer should not normally disappear due to RNG.

I mean, how can you avoid getting you flamethrower blowing up? You can't.

Granted, if your flamethrower blew up in COH1, 9/10 times, your whole engie/pio squad will die. However, in the 1/10, your engie/pio retains the flamethrower.

I believe the same thing should happen here.
29 Sep 2013, 15:14 PM

has anybody had the flame-thrower explode as soon as the upgrade is done? anyone anyone?

fffffffffffffffffffffffuck
29 Sep 2013, 15:58 PM

has anybody had the flame-thrower explode as soon as the upgrade is done? anyone anyone?

fffffffffffffffffffffffuck

Yeah happened to me the other day. When it's early game and your flamer upgrade just finished, leaving you with one fewer squad and a wasted 60 munis... good luck coming back from that.
29 Sep 2013, 16:05 PM

I think it's less about the flamethrower detonation and more about these extreme RNG elements in general.

It's one thing to have a conscript vs. grenadier fight be random, but it's another thing to have random chance cripple a player out of no real fault of his own (whether it be destroyed instead of damaged engine from a nade, flamer crits, or house nade crits). It's pretty hard to say that CoH can be a truly competitive game if these things happen - on a regular basis, I might add.

Just had a game the other day where the enemy player rushed my MG42 with a flamer and 2 cons. The first volley of my MG suppressed no one but insta-popped the flamer resulting in the immediate deaths of that engineer squad and 4 conscripts. Instead of my MG having to retreat (which should have happened), the enemy lost his force and essentially lost the game right there.

You can say "it's war; shit happens" but this isn't real life - it's a game. It can't be truly competitive if "shit" is random to such an extreme degree.
1 Oct 2013, 07:12 AM

sure, but increase the cost to 80 muni
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight