Login

russian armor

Help with OKW playstyle

21 Feb 2019, 18:11 PM

Alright, so I bought OKW during the lunar sale and I like the faction.
However, I've literally lost 7-8 matches in a row and all to soviets.
How should I play with OKW?
For example, at which distances should I engage certain soviet infantry?
How would I go about countering lots of maxims, and should I go for battlegroup or mechanized first?
Is there a way to deal with shock troop spam as they often throw smoke in front of my hmgs.
Is there a quick way to deal with early scout cars without resorting to raketens(if the enemy has decent car micro)?

Which infantry engagements would be OKW-favoured? (specifically volks)

And same goes for USF, how to deal with early truck and eventual hmgs?

22 Feb 2019, 05:24 AM

How should I play OKW? Typically, I like to dive deep, get Tier 1, then get Flak & AT.

Strumpioneers vs Vanilla Conscripts will slaughter them at mid-close range.

Vanilla Volks vs Conscripts will 50-50 Vanilla Conscripts.

Vanilla Volks and Volks STG's will get owned by Vanilla penal squads.

Volks MP40s will own Pensls up close.

Soviet Shock troops will just about own anybody you have at mid-close range except Obersolden with MG34s or STG's.

Against Soviets, try to get a fast Flak halftrack, stick it with an upgraded volks and Rak 38 so you can snare light vehiches and armor, then go Luchs to deal with HMG, Shocks and Light Vehicles.

I typically go Battlegroup for healing as well as the flaktrack. The flaktrack does a way better job at suppressing and killing infantry, but you gotta keep it protected.

I was trying to suppress soviets with MG34's, and it really wasnt working well.

Good luck.
22 Feb 2019, 10:07 AM

Volks STG's will get owned by Vanilla penal squads.

No.
22 Feb 2019, 15:56 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So how would I then go about engaging penal squads? Which range would be the best for this? I am aware that they're a 300 mp squad which means they're most likely inherently better, but should I even consider engaging them 1:1?
23 Mar 2019, 22:40 PM

Volks are the best mainline infantry in the game. Volks will own Conscripts, Riflemen and 4-man Infantry Sections but Penals they will struggle against.
23 Mar 2019, 22:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2019, 15:56 PMcacti
Thanks for the replies.

So how would I then go about engaging penal squads? Which range would be the best for this? I am aware that they're a 300 mp squad which means they're most likely inherently better, but should I even consider engaging them 1:1?

No, do not engage them 1:1 unless you have cover and they do not. Volks are great for their cost, they get better with ugprades and vet nice. But out of the gate Volks are better than Conscripts in terms of mainline infantry. But weaker than Penals, Rifles, Infantry Sections AS THEY SHOULD BE. As they are cheaper to field than any of the those mentioned.

Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise, they're a cheap unit to field so they have cheap performance. They get better later on, Penals don't do well late game because they are just too easy to kill with better options.

Personally I struggle as OKW vs the Penal Scout Car spam, a good player makes it a nightmare. But blob up, focus the car down, lay a mine and hope for the best. Spread yourself thin and you'll be losing all those 1:1 engagements. Good micro on sturms can go far, but Penals can burst them down scarily fast if you are not careful.

I'm primarily an allied player, and I made the swap to OKW because the search queue bias and I wanted a change. But boy, it's a challenge for me to adjust to them.
24 Mar 2019, 19:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Mar 2019, 22:44 PMKharn

No, do not engage them 1:1 unless you have cover and they do not. Volks are great for their cost, they get better with ugprades and vet nice. But out of the gate Volks are better than Conscripts in terms of mainline infantry. But weaker than Penals, Rifles, Infantry Sections AS THEY SHOULD BE. As they are cheaper to field than any of the those mentioned.

Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise, they're a cheap unit to field so they have cheap performance. They get better later on, Penals don't do well late game because they are just too easy to kill with better options.

Personally I struggle as OKW vs the Penal Scout Car spam, a good player makes it a nightmare. But blob up, focus the car down, lay a mine and hope for the best. Spread yourself thin and you'll be losing all those 1:1 engagements. Good micro on sturms can go far, but Penals can burst them down scarily fast if you are not careful.

I'm primarily an allied player, and I made the swap to OKW because the search queue bias and I wanted a change. But boy, it's a challenge for me to adjust to them.

I find OKW is probably the easiest faction to play and get the hang of. Volksgrens and JLI are so cost effective it's just super easy to overwelm your opponent without much thought.
5 Apr 2019, 13:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Mar 2019, 19:01 PMCODGUY

I find OKW is probably the easiest faction to play and get the hang of. Volksgrens and JLI are so cost effective it's just super easy to overwelm your opponent without much thought.

Against good plays OKW can be tough, Scout car spam from Soviets is a nightmare and the Bren can be a huge pain the ass. Sure, you can place a mine, and put a rak down. The rak means your 1 less volk on the field, the car means u can be anywhere to pick off lone squads. The mine is luck, and if you're facing good players they're not going to let you out-mass them. They'll just wait, move, get an MG early.

Both Brits/Sov can get an MG out early to help with early pushes and and as OKW you just have to sort of face tank it and flank while you wait for a your own indirect fire that comes after your first tier building is built which comes late enough you've got 4 volks on the field and a rak.

Personally I think the brits are the easiest faction to play, defensive, you can blob if you want, and they have reliable tanks. Sexton if you want indirect, and the arty nade is fabulous, and your stock infantry is probably the best in the game.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★