Login

russian armor

Elefant - The overnerfed burden

27 Jan 2019, 19:16 PM

The Elefant is highly situational. It only "works" on certain maps and outside of 1v1. And even then the performance is lackluster.

It can't do more than scare mediums away. With three shots needed to stop a medium your opponent needs to do something seriously wrong to lose a tank to the Elefant.

It is designed to be stuck in one place and be flanked.

After the latest nerf it doesn't even deliver dps. At a mere 200hp per hit and with a bad rate of fire the StuG does the job better.

It's only good aspect is the 70 range. The high frontal armor doesn't really help since the unit is too slow. The high penetration isn't needed, a StuG will do the same. The usual engagement goes like this: Elefant gets off one shot and then gets flanked. The support will get swarmed by an infantry blob or a bunch of medium tanks that the Elefant can't counter.

In short: It has good range, bad dps, bad mobility, high cost. The unit was simply overnerfed. The Elefant needs a complete redesign in my opinion. Hell, it only performs marginally better than the ISU in the AT department yet can't fight infantry at all. This alone should raise some questions.
27 Jan 2019, 19:23 PM

I wonder why it is used so often in 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4? Could you maybe upload a replay of you using it? Maybe you lack Antiinfantry fighting capabilities or don't secure the flanks well enough but i cannot help you more without any further input from your side. Maybe a simple buildorder and rough enemy buildorders could work aswell.
27 Jan 2019, 19:24 PM

It does 300 damage.
27 Jan 2019, 19:45 PM

Permanently Banned
if anything its cancer just like the Jagd and should be deleted from the game
27 Jan 2019, 19:45 PM

The only question that is rising here is, why do you think a specialized tank destroyer that is specifically made to counter heavy tanks and slow units should be buffed in any way.

It 3 shots ALL mediums, premium mediums included and its ultimate hardcounter for KV series and IS-2 tanks.

Its situational, because its meant to be.
You're supposed to get it against premium meds spam or heavy tanks when its too dangerous to go in with panthers.

It got a role and it got stats supporting that role perfectly.
It is no longer IWIN button in all game modes above 1v1 and it will no longer become one, so better learn that doctrinal situational units are situational.
27 Jan 2019, 19:47 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jan 2019, 19:45 PMKatitof
The only question that is rising here is, why do you think a specialized tank destroyer that is specifically made to counter heavy tanks and slow units should be buffed in any way.

It 3 shots ALL mediums, premium mediums included and its ultimate hardcounter for KV series and IS-2 tanks.

Its situational, because its meant to be.
You're supposed to get it against premium meds spam or heavy tanks when its too dangerous to go in with panthers.

It got a role and it got stats supporting that role perfectly.
It is no longer IWIN button in all game modes above 1v1 and it will no longer become one, so better learn that doctrinal situational units are situational.

B-bUt IsU cAn KiLl InFanTrY aNd WiPe mY vOlk BlObs fRoM 70 range
27 Jan 2019, 19:48 PM

B-bUt IsU cAn KiLl InFanTrY aNd WiPe mY vOlk BlObs fRoM 70 range

ISU is FAR more useful then elephant.

Maybe a price decrease for the elephant to make it less of a investment would be better, as any performance buffs will make it OP in team games
27 Jan 2019, 19:53 PM

The StuG/Elefant dynamic is similar to the SU-76/SU-85 dynamic.

The SU-76 slightly outperforms the SU-85 in terms of how fast it can put out damage. Two SU-76s pose a much bigger threat to a skirtless Panzer IV than an SU-85 does.

But which do you see more?
27 Jan 2019, 19:55 PM

The Elefant is the #2 best bait in the game and it's always fun to see them inevitably get dived while you're fully prepared for it.

Its range is great for the open plains of some 3v3 and 4v4 maps, especially when it can self spot with the spotting scopes. It really denies opponents who only build TDs. And it's a great counter to heavies like IS-2, ISU-152, Churchills and KVs.

In short: never get the Elefant while you're not prepared for it. It can never fight on its own. Make sure you have other tanks, ATGs, snare infantry, mines and/or Panzershrecks in reserve before calling it in. It will either bully all Allied tanks back across the map or it will invoke a dive which you can punish.
27 Jan 2019, 20:16 PM

Delete this pudding already for this shit there is no real counter with random teammates. In axis team one idiot with elefant can easliy snipe all tanks. Heavy tank destroyers or brit emplacments shouldnt belong to this game. Pure cancer
27 Jan 2019, 20:47 PM

Havent read such a BS in a while.

Elefant is the most important axis unit in teamgames on most maps. It's almost autowin on maps like Across the Rhine, Red Ball Express, Alliance of Defiance or Crossing in the Woods etc etc.

For top level play that is ofc. Dunno what's going on at rank 1000 or lower as these players live in their own world.

27 Jan 2019, 21:20 PM

Havent read such a BS in a while.

Elefant is the most important axis unit in teamgames on most maps. It's almost autowin on maps like Across the Rhine, Red Ball Express, Alliance of Defiance or Crossing in the Woods etc etc.

For top level play that is ofc. Dunno what's going on at rank 1000 or lower as these players live in their own world.

While the Jagdtiger is just a resource sink, or at least feels like it to me and many other people.
27 Jan 2019, 21:23 PM

While the Jagdtiger is just a resource sink, or at least feels like it to me and many other people.

Yeh JT sucks. It's more expensive than the elefant but has atrocious mobility compared to it.

Elefant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jagdtiger
27 Jan 2019, 21:40 PM

Yeh JT sucks. It's more expensive than the elefant but has atrocious mobility compared to it.

What we do now ? Maybe buff it and kill this game
27 Jan 2019, 21:53 PM

JT is still pretty good in certain 4v4 lane maps (Red Ball, Lorch, Lanzereth etc) where it can just camp in the middle and keep all the Allied armor at bay. Synergises real well with Pfussie flares and the supporting fire ability is usually quite good.

But beyond that yes, I would've much rather liked the JT to be more like the Elefant in terms of the firepower/protection/mobility stats. It would make it much more versatile. Like the same level of mobility but with a bit more armor or HP and 80 range for ~10-20% more resources than the Elefant.
27 Jan 2019, 22:08 PM

Isn't the elefant pretty popular in 2v2+ because it hard counters the IS-2 and ISU? I remember someone talking about how its necessary to have them or else the ISU will fuck you up on certain maps. I prefer it being highly situational than a no brainer pick.
27 Jan 2019, 22:14 PM

Ele with spotting scopes is a monster.

/Thread
27 Jan 2019, 22:26 PM

Ele with spotting scopes is a monster.

/Thread

I was kind of confused why no one brought up that you can get a self-spotting AT monster.
28 Jan 2019, 00:50 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Isn't the elefant pretty popular in 2v2+ because it hard counters the IS-2 and ISU? I remember someone talking about how its necessary to have them or else the ISU will fuck you up on certain maps. I prefer it being highly situational than a no brainer pick.

A unit required to be built so you don't get rofl stomped by another unit screams bad design.

As far as OP goes, I don't really think the unit is overnerfed. It creates a large range armor imbalance that allies struggle to break through without coordiantion. It forces an inevitable dive that, when supported correctly with mines, pak guns, snares, is REALLY difficult to come out on top of. It doesn't solo armor anymore, thank god, but it is a great support armor piece that also when supported, creates a very lethal combined force.
28 Jan 2019, 00:51 AM

A unit required to be built so you don't get rofl stomped by another unit screams bad design.

As far as OP goes, I don't really think the unit is overnerfed. It creates a large range armor imbalance that allies struggle to break through without coordiantion. It forces an inevitable dive that, when supported correctly with mines, pak guns, snares, is REALLY difficult to come out on top of. It doesn't solo armor anymore, thank god, but it is a great support armor piece that also when supported, creates a very lethal combined force.

Yeah but that's more of a discussion about the ISU than the Elefant imo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★