Login

russian armor

About intel bulletins. Their UI and philosophy.

21 Jan 2019, 12:26 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Hello, gentlemen!

I would like to talk about current situation with intel bulletins in the game. According to open sources, there is no plans for bulletins rework, but i still would like to get some ideas and discuss it with the community. Anyhow, i would like to add, at least UI part of this discussion to QoL thread, when some completed idea will appear. So, let's started!

Issue number one - visual language

As you know, enery bulletin has one or several symbols for fast recognise the affect. I believe it was ok in the beginning, but then a lot of disparities appeared. I will not list them all, just give some of them.

Example 1 - dispatch

Both bulletins reduce the time between dispatch. Earlier bulletins using right symbol, later bulletins using left symbol. Also, left symbol used for ability recharge bulleting, and reload bulletins.

Example 2 - reload

for some reason, you can face three different symbols for reload bulletins. Lightning symbol also used for reduced cooldown. Second one also used for increased rotation rate. Third one was mentioned in example number one.

It can be fixed, just need to make some symbols system to avoid overlapping between different effects.

The other issue - incorrect unit on the bulletin's icon. Some people can be confused by large number of M-42 bulletins, and 0 bulletins (according to image on icon) for ZiS-3. :snfPeter:

Also, there is no order by affected units, so you need to lurk bulletins for one unit in the chaos. It can be fixed with some manipulations with bulletins name. i've made it in russian numerical veterancy mod, and it looks really good!

Issue number two - bulletins with the same effect, but different %

Every bulletin should provide small, but meaningful effect. Currently, there are a lot of bulletins, especially for East factions, which provide the same effect, and the only difference - %. Some examples:
2 bulletins with 10% experience for HMG (1 special for Maxim, 1 for Maxim and MG 42)
2 bulletins with accuracy for Maxim (2% and 3%)
3 bulletins for Mortar accuracy (2%,3% and 5% for PM-41)
2 bulletins for SU-85 penetration (3% and 4%)
2 bulletins for ZiS-3 rotation (5% and combo bulletin 2% pen and 3% rotation)
4 bulletins for ZiS-3 penetration (2%,3%,4% and combo bulletin 2% pen and 3% rotation)

In my mind, every unit should have only one bulletin for every effect, but with solid % (for example 5%). Other option - bulletin with two effects, but smaller %(like 3% and 3%). So, 1%-2% bulletins should be reworked.

Issue number three - sevral units have one bulletins or don't have them at all

In the beginning, according to exist bulletins, every type of units has it own gentleman's set of bulletins. Like near by all vanilla infantry units, which were on the start, have their accuracy bulletin, and every HMG has number of bulletins for cooldown, reload and expirience. Here is some units, which require some bulletins:
Both 76-mm "Sherman" - 0 bulletins, not integrated in any global medium tanks bulletins
M1 mortar - 0 bulletins
KV-2 - 1 bulletin
KV-1 - 2 bulletins
SdKfz 221/223 - 0 bulletins
Ostheer Puma - 0 bulletins
M26 - 1 bulletin
T34 Calliope - 1 bulletin
Goliath - 1 bulletin
This list is not full.

Issue number four - late game bulletins

There is no doubt, that late game bulletins not used often because no guarantee, that you will use something from late game stuff, and their bonuses are on the same level with early game bulletins(2-5% mostly).
Something should be done with it. My idea based on unique options, like Ostwind supress bulletin provide, and some bulletins as gentleman's set, but with really meaningful influence, like increased expirience. For example dispatch bulletins for super heavies are really useless.

Issue number five - covered influence

Several bulletins affect not only listed in the description units. Like several StuG III G bulletins affect StuG III E and...Elefant. Bulletins should affect only one, two or max three units with some common thing (like mainline infantry, elite infantry, HMG or units with the same base in extremis, like grenadiers and assault grenadiers, or Guards and Assault guards).

IOW, every unit should have gentleman's set of 3-4 bulletins with good, but not extremely powerfull effects and 1-2 bulletins with unique bonuses, which increase unique advantage of unit, or open new options. (like mentioned above Ostwind bulletins).
Just an example - super heavies.
IS-2 and Tiger
2 gentleman's set bulletins - penetration and increased expirience.
IS-2 has bulletins with standart and half-standart effect - reload and speed/rotation.
Tiger has bulletins with standart and half-standart effect - increased armor and sight/turret rotation.
At the same time
Tiger II has only one bulletin from gentleman's set - increased expirience.
M26 has one bulletins from gentleman's set - increased penetration.

I would like to hear your opinion, i believe we can figure something interesting! :)
21 Jan 2019, 12:32 PM

The only change I'd make to bulletins is removing them from the game.

They're a bad idea, a symptom of the 'mandatory progression system' plague infecting so many games in the last few years, and their impact is mitigated only by the negligible effect most of them have.
21 Jan 2019, 13:07 PM

I agreed to the issues uncovered by Osinyagov. Having different icons for identical effects can be really confusing.

In addition, some intels are unaccessible like "hetzer 57" (which is not present in the in-game store).

Moreover, some intels become useless. For example: "All over a London Darby" which reduces the dispatch ability by 10%. As we can't call two of them at the same time (only one can be dispatched on the field), is this intel has a utility? (just a thought - I never play with this intel to be honest).
21 Jan 2019, 14:37 PM

I agree about the fact that bulletins got some problems. Big problems.

Standardization is needed. Currently you are reading pretty much every description. Icons just don't help at all.

I also agree with the fact, that there is problem with newer stuff, which got only 1 or not at all. That's something, which should not be happening. At least 2 bulletins per entity. Otherwise, you can't stack bonuses on prefered unit. So new bulletins is a must (I don't want, for example, Sherman tank's bulletins to affect Pershing).

And some bulletins a utterly useless. Decreases cooldown for Jagdtiger dispatch? lul,wut? One of the most pricey vehicle in the game gets bonus to call-in recharge? Why? And reload bonus with values like 3% is too small bonus for infantry.

About order of bulletins - maybe add to bulletins some internal number (1,2,3, etc.). But too much work required and also - we've got some shared bulletins. Which makes thing worse. At the same time - I like the names for bulletins. =)

And overall, description should be impoved. For example - panzergrens bulletins also affect stormtroopers. But it's not mentioned in bulletins' description.

P. S. I also want more bulletins for brits and OKW. Individually they've got less, than any of other 3.
21 Jan 2019, 15:20 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 14:37 PMQeit
About order of bulletins - maybe add to bulletins some internal number (1,2,3, etc.). But too much work required and also - we've got some shared bulletins. Which makes thing worse. At the same time - I like the names for bulletins. =)

I just add the name of the unit before the bulletin name, for example: "Tiger II: He's Great!". Bulletin name saved, and order appears.

For global bulletins i used the type of unit, like "Infantry: Training I". Or all grenades bulletins looks like "Grenades: #Bulletin's name#". Work for one day.

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 14:37 PMQeit

And overall, description should be impoved. For example - panzergrens bulletins also affect stormtroopers. But it's not mentioned in bulletins' description.

That's what i am talking about, if you don't have numerical localization (Harold Mod), you are impossible to know this information.
21 Jan 2019, 15:22 PM

" panzergrens bulletins also affect stormtroopers"

didnt know :O
21 Jan 2019, 15:31 PM

I just add the name of the unit before the bulletin name, for example: "Tiger II: He's Great!". Bulletin name saved, and order appears.

That's not a bad idea.

That's what i am talking about, if you don't have numerical localization (Harold Mod), you are impossible to know this information.

Out of them all I'm using only cheat command mod. :) I more or less remember tank vet bonuses and more or less infantry vet bonuses.

And overall I do prefer English version of the game over Russian version.
jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 15:22 PMBaba
" panzergrens bulletins also affect stormtroopers"

didnt know :O

Stormtroopers classified as pgrens in the game)
21 Jan 2019, 15:35 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 15:31 PMQeit

And overall I do prefer English version of the game over Russian version.

Oh, link in my signature not on Harold Mod, it is on russian version of it.
Harold mod was made for English version of the game. As i know, there should be somewhere also Spanish numerical localization (in case you speak Spanish).
https://www.coh2.org/topic/58241/numeral-veterancy-descriptions-english-localization-mod
21 Jan 2019, 15:50 PM

Oh, link in my signature not on Harold Mod, it is on russian version of it.

I know. :)

Harold mod was made for English version of the game. As i know, there should be somewhere also Spanish numerical localization (in case you speak Spanish).

My native language is Russian) And I don't know Spanish.
Again, the thing is - I more or less remember provided bonuses. So I don't need a cheat sheet for it. :)

Back to the topic.
As I understand it, you will be the one of those who can do change to the bulletins' icons if Relic gives greenlight to it.

Again, we need MOAR bulletins and bulletins for all stuff.
21 Jan 2019, 15:56 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Jan 2019, 15:50 PMQeit

As I understand it, you will be the one of those who can do change to the bulletins' icons if Relic gives greenlight to it.

Why not, i am ready to give it a try! But it can be anybody else, who is ready to spend some his time and good at photoshop/paint.net or any other editor programm. :)
20 Mar 2019, 06:41 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I would like this theme get bumped with some information from the patchnotes, when bulletins were reworked. The goal was to make all bulletins give 2-4% only. And this is one of mentioned above issues from current system.

Patch from September 24th, 2013

As you can see, much more bulletins gave several bonuses each. Most of them were changed to remove damage bonuses, but some were just nerfed, like -10% reload bulletins, or veteran training for half-tracks (give 2% health and save from doubleshot from at-guns). Last one was later implemented for M15 AA gun on third veterancy with +40 health iirc.

More bulletins provide extra accuracy, armor and reload buffs. And from quicklooks, several bulletins for tanks were really cool, like Veteran Training: Tank (T-34/Panzer IV) - +2% accuracy and +3% armor or Sibling Rivalry (Soviet) (IS-2) - -10% reload.

The most interesting for me was this:
2013 - Shooting Gallery (Maxim) bulletin was changed from +5% suppression to +10% experience.
2014-2015 - New bulletin was added for Maxim with +5% supression.
2017 - This bulletin was nerfed from +5% to +1%.
20 Mar 2019, 07:02 AM

The most interesting for me was this:
2013 - Shooting Gallery (Maxim) bulletin was changed from +5% suppression to +10% experience.
2014-2015 - New bulletin was added for Maxim with +5% supression.

Yeah, this is just pure memes right there.
Maxim didn't worked at all without suppression bulletin stacking at first, so they were nerfed to allow stock buffs, then they were nerfed even more and maxim was beat down into irrelevance, all while ignoring core problem that spawned maxim spam - irrelevant mainline infantry.
20 Mar 2019, 08:18 AM

if this has really changed (and I have not checked to see) the description should also change since it still mention 5% and not 1%
20 Mar 2019, 09:52 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2019, 08:18 AMVipper

if this has really changed (and I have not checked to see) the description should also change since it still mention 5% and not 1%

Patch from 19.12.2017

Machine Gun Suppression Intel Bulletin
* Suppression bonus reduced from +5% to +1%

Idk about USF spression bulletin, but this phrase come right after Maxim changes.
It was fixed in russian localization mod. As far as i know, it was fixed in english numerical localization too.
20 Mar 2019, 10:09 AM

Patch from 19.12.2017

Idk about USF spression bulletin, but this phrase come right after Maxim changes.
It was fixed in russian localization mod. As far as i know, it was fixed in english numerical localization too.

I know it is in the patch notes, in game it still says 5%. I have not checked the actual bonus thou
20 Mar 2019, 11:20 AM

For all I care, bulletins could just not exist and I wouldn't mind at all.
Why did the game developers waste time and energy on implementing such a boring thing - this only cost them time and energy that could've been focused on more important things.
I imagine that implementing sth like bulletins isn't a very fun or creative process for a game developer. Creating visual designs and building and testing creative gameplay is just tons more fun. And that's probablly why the bulletins feel so uninspired... because they weren't fun to make for the devs either. It feels like they just felt obliged to add some "progression" system, because that's a trendy thing nowadays, for some reason.
20 Mar 2019, 12:32 PM

Its too bad that they dont stack enymore that was fun one of the most op i remember was 3 buletins to okw panzer4 that shit give u almost same armor like comet
30 Mar 2019, 22:56 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Up on that. :D

Its possible to make a mod only about bulletins? Maybe a "concept mod" about 2.0 bulletins can change Relic mind.

And just to remember:

Unused bulletins:

BULLETINS change unit behavior.

31 Mar 2019, 00:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Mar 2019, 22:56 PMnigo
Unused bulletins:

Oh my lord.

I remember being so hyped for that.

RIP my hopes and dreams.
31 Mar 2019, 00:18 AM

Bulletins are the opposite of a balance factor, thats the only reason i see them useless.

To be fair, if the mechanic was still to be used, id say first: you cant stack them. Second: add function not stats. Third: They should define or give away strategical information
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★