Login

russian armor

Are Thompson Paratroopers worth using?

12 Jan 2019, 23:56 PM

Paratroopers are probably the strongest squad in the game. Can't think of any other squad that can 1v1 them if both players play it as they should.

STG44 Obersoldaten are tied for first with them I think. Although they are really underrated.
13 Jan 2019, 00:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Jan 2019, 21:14 PMTobis

3 Rifles -> LT -> 1 para works well.

Pathfinders are overrated, don't bother. Paratroopers are the best american squad in the game.

How can prepare Anti-vehicle? liuetnant's small 1 bazooka?

How can build light vehicle? 50cal? ambulance? NO MP, dude

Paratroopers are the best american squad in the game? sure, "best american to kill" for axis ^^

13 Jan 2019, 00:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2019, 00:45 AMblancat

Paratroopers are the best american squad in the game? sure, "best american to kill" for axis ^^

13 Jan 2019, 01:17 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2019, 00:45 AMblancat

I dont understand how you can be bleeding that hard to be unable to get 50 cals or LVs.

A 6 man double lmg squad is great, and as others have said are probably one of the best squads in the game. The doctrine they are in however is pretty bad except for 2v2+ and you have better options for doctrines.
13 Jan 2019, 04:13 AM

Paratoopers are way too weak to be using Thompsons. They die like conscripts. Rangers are a much better unit.
13 Jan 2019, 09:26 AM

Comparing them to ppsh conscripts isn't very accurate as thompsons deal more damage both up close, and at long ranges. With that said the LMG upgrade is probably the better choice in most situations simply because by the time paras are hitting the field there's a lot of stuff that can punish CQC charges.
13 Jan 2019, 15:56 PM

Pathfinders are overrated, don't bother. Paratroopers are the best american squad in the game.

I think it is like cutting one of your legs to not call a Pathfinder squad. Now I'm not telling that one pathfinder is better than one riflemen but they do wonder in team and can save you a lot of manpower and precious time to end faster an engagement and push/cap behind with two squads on good shape.
Could they be better? Sure, but I want to point out that it is already the squad that hit vet1-2-3 first, long before my riflemen.

1xRe + 1xPF + 2xRM + 1xOS and then a Para is still great in most cases.
13 Jan 2019, 17:09 PM

I don't know, I really like pathfinders actually. They seem to work pretty well as supporting infantry, but aren't really able to 1v1 other squads obviously. Especially great because being able to paradrop reinforce paras and paratrooper-crewed team weapons is great.
13 Jan 2019, 17:24 PM

do not make more than two infantry squads, and when the paratroopers arrive, I give Bazook's to rifleman and use them as anti-tank support. Paratroopers become the main infantry because they are strong, they are strong even without Thompson and with Thompson they become very strong. And that’s why I don’t like Leetinant and Captain - they are superfluous, the assembly is already overloaded with infantry. It would be much more convenient for me when I open the tier: so that the Lieutenant and the Captain would not come to the battlefield and they could be built for free once.

14 Jan 2019, 02:04 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Jan 2019, 15:56 PMEsxile

I think it is like cutting one of your legs to not call a Pathfinder squad. Now I'm not telling that one pathfinder is better than one riflemen but they do wonder in team and can save you a lot of manpower and precious time to end faster an engagement and push/cap behind with two squads on good shape.
Could they be better? Sure, but I want to point out that it is already the squad that hit vet1-2-3 first, long before my riflemen.

1xRe + 1xPF + 2xRM + 1xOS and then a Para is still great in most cases.

I don't know, I really like pathfinders actually. They seem to work pretty well as supporting infantry, but aren't really able to 1v1 other squads obviously. Especially great because being able to paradrop reinforce paras and paratrooper-crewed team weapons is great.

Pathfinders aren't bad, but in my experience they aren't worth any more than a riflemen squad. I'd rather have a squad that can snare than replace one with a pathfinder squad. I don't think the benefits they have outweighs having another rifleman. Cloaking is nice for scouting lategame, but I like to win before then. I tested them a lot last year trying to find a niche for them, and I didn't. Their performance is just too similar to a riflesquad.
14 Jan 2019, 04:16 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 02:04 AMTobis

Pathfinders aren't bad, but in my experience they aren't worth any more than a riflemen squad. I'd rather have a squad that can snare than replace one with a pathfinder squad. I don't think the benefits they have outweighs having another rifleman. Cloaking is nice for scouting lategame, but I like to win before then. I tested them a lot last year trying to find a niche for them, and I didn't. Their performance is just too similar to a riflesquad.

Honestly, there may just be some skillgap between us involved in this (as in you play at a higher level). In my experience, I prefer the extra long range DPS in a supporting role and the ability to airdrop reinforce paras over having a snare, and I kind of just make do with not having that snare, which I find to be workable at my level (160-something with usf 1v1s). I also play a lot of brits too, so I'm used to not having snares :lol: (although they do have them now, which is great). I tend to not be able to reliably win games that quickly either, so I like to have the lategame boost of paths and paras, and a couple of jacksons usually doesn't require snares a ton; at least not defensively, which I'm fine with.
14 Jan 2019, 09:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 02:04 AMTobis

They just make your riflemen greater. Now that they are CP0 I use to call a squad just when my first RM squad is out so I can 2vs1 anything that OKW or OST send early game. Extra vision provided by the PF let you decide how you want to engage and avoid early HMG42 aggression. Honestly I don't understand your argument about snare stuff, do HMG.50 snare? Do M20 snare? Do not consider a PF as a replacement for a riflemen squad but a replacement of an early M20 or HMG.50
14 Jan 2019, 18:13 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 09:22 AMEsxile

They just make your riflemen greater. Now that they are CP0 I use to call a squad just when my first RM squad is out so I can 2vs1 anything that OKW or OST send early game. Extra vision provided by the PF let you decide how you want to engage and avoid early HMG42 aggression. Honestly I don't understand your argument about snare stuff, do HMG.50 snare? Do M20 snare? Do not consider a PF as a replacement for a riflemen squad but a replacement of an early M20 or HMG.50

Ok... I would rather buy another rifleman, or an m20, or a .50 cal than a pathfinder. If you can make them work for you congrats. I don't think they are worth their price.
14 Jan 2019, 18:56 PM

Why do you want to use every infantry unit as combat infantry?
And dont say you dont want to - you want it.
14 Jan 2019, 19:26 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 18:56 PMBaba

Why do you want to use every infantry unit as combat infantry?
And dont say you dont want to - you want it.

Because I've actually played USF before and know what they are useful for.
14 Jan 2019, 20:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 18:13 PMTobis

Ok... I would rather buy another rifleman, or an m20, or a .50 cal than a pathfinder. If you can make them work for you congrats. I don't think they are worth their price.

I can live with that.
14 Jan 2019, 20:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jan 2019, 19:26 PMTobis

Because I've actually played USF before and know what they are useful for.

So why do you complain?
22 Jan 2019, 20:29 PM

Permanently Banned
As much as I'm sick of reading threads of "please buff already very good units" I'm gonna say that paras are in (and have been) in a good spot. Airborne however just lost a lot of utility after the USF tech tree changes being more balanced in giving AI and AT without needing both Lt and Capt. That was one of the biggest advantages of airborne is to fill in the hole after selecting one of the two officers.
22 Jan 2019, 21:28 PM

Paratroopers are probably the strongest squad in the game. Can't think of any other squad that can 1v1 them if both players play it as they should.

I haven't looked up the stats (nor do I know where to do that), but would you say even stronger than Rangers with Thompson?. I've only recently committed to more gameplay using USF, but from my experience they seem to play very similar, however I've had more success with Rangers. They feel more durable, but that could be due to the units I was fighting against.
22 Jan 2019, 21:35 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I haven't looked up the stats (nor do I know where to do that), but would you say even stronger than Rangers with Thompson?. I've only recently committed to more gameplay using USF, but from my experience they seem to play very similar, however I've had more success with Rangers. They feel more durable, but that could be due to the units I was fighting against.

Rangers are 20% more durable, but the paras also have 20% more men in the squad. Thompson paras will also do more damage because they have more men. Paras are more expensive and bleed more, but do more damage.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS