Login

russian armor

New Commander Submission - Discuss

PAGES (10)down
10 Jan 2019, 18:08 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

Here you can discuss everything.
You are free to quote from a submissionthread someone with his ideas to talk about it!
10 Jan 2019, 21:15 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Here's a list of general changes that I think would be better than what we currently have.

Squad-ai and Formation changes for single-player

Summary; The more tatical elements of CoH, that of which include squad-ai, unit criticals, and other minor behaviors have been stripped away since the release of the game. While most of these things did hamper multiplayer play, stripping them out of single-player was unnecessary, and makes things feel robotic compared to what it was in the past.

Here's a part of an interview with one of relic's old programmers/designers on making infantry and such feel realistic

A good quote;
"We worked really hard to make the group movement in Company of Heroes look non-robotic."

My proposition is to re-implement squad-ai and other tatical features that have been stripped back into single-player.

For the commander changes;

Commissar:
Add an execution ability (227) that combines the defensive/offensive buffs. Reduce the body-guard size/get rid of the medic, and make the unit slightly less all-rounder and more situational, awarding players who use the unit correctly/well. Currently, the unit is a bit slap-dash and has too much stuff. Quality over Quantity.

Grenadiers:
Get rid of the extra damage/accuracy buffs given by the sergeant, replace it with a received vet buff. The grenadiers already do enough damage with an extra rifle in the squad, and having an extra squad-member also increases the potency of slot-weapons like the MG42.

Penals;
Give the penal squad flamethrowers back, maybe at a higher cost or reduced damage. Penals were great for destroying buildings and combat in urban environments. They've since been turned into a tank-hunting unit, which doesn't make much sense when tank-hunting conscripts are a thing aswell. Engineers cant take up the role well since the demolition and mine nerf. Give the engies some more blunt punch or give a bit back to the penals.

Anti-Tank overwatch;
Replace the artillery with planes that can be shot down. While it is cool, having 0 possible counters to this ability is a bit much. Have them come in and strafe instead of loiter like the current il2 overwatch ability, so even if the enemy does have anti-air, there is still a chance of some of the payload to be delivered.

Puma;
Remove the puma/put it back into the commander unit list. Axis already have the 222 and panzerfausts to deal with early game vehicles.

Thanks for reading this, and possibly considering my silly ideas!
10 Jan 2019, 21:29 PM

I am not sure if you guys have seen this but if not please check it out as I do believe that there are a fair few commanders here that have the potential to offer something new and interesting for the game: https://www.coh2.org/topic/81230/new-commander-concepts
10 Jan 2019, 21:36 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I will edit all my suggestions with descriptions and backgrounds later.

Thanks and GG.
10 Jan 2019, 21:39 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

I am not sure if you guys have seen this but if not please check it out as I do believe that there are a fair few commanders here that have the potential to offer something new and interesting for the game: https://www.coh2.org/topic/81230/new-commander-concepts

Pls copy paste your ideas again in the offical threads.
https://www.coh2.org/topic/85219/new-commander-update

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2019, 21:36 PMnigo
I will edit all my suggestions with descriptions and backgrounds later.

Thanks and GG.

Yeah sure, you can edit your thread as much as you want until the 25th january.
10 Jan 2019, 21:45 PM

Pls copy paste your ideas again in the offical threads.
https://www.coh2.org/topic/85219/new-commander-update

Yeah sure, you can edit your thread as much as you want until the 25th january.

So I should copy and paste all of them?

10 Jan 2019, 21:56 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

So I should copy and paste all of them?

Submission guidelines
Each player can submit one proposal per faction.

So decide where you think it has the highest chance to get picked
10 Jan 2019, 22:35 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Its not a new Commander suggestion (in fact its an old Commander suggestion) but the balance/ mod team can take a look at the Ranger skin?

Relic placed a Ranger skin almost identical to the Riflemans (light brown skin), but theres a proper Ranger skin in game files with dark green pants and a cool backpack (they appear in SP campaign). Its a more distinguish skin and deserve to appear in the MP.

I will post screens later.
10 Jan 2019, 22:58 PM

So, if I understand the guidelines correctly, only pre-existing Commander abilities can be used (with slight modifications)?

:(

I used the mod-tools to make an OKW Commander that gives infantry a camo upgrade and has an Opel Blitz call-in that drops resources/team-weapons by basically copying and modifying pre-existing abilities but I'm guessing that goes too far for this project? (There's even a specific icon in the UI dataset for OKW infantry camo)

10 Jan 2019, 23:13 PM

I used the mod-tools to make an OKW Commander that gives infantry a camo upgrade and has an Opel Blitz call-in that drops resources/team-weapons by basically copying and modifying pre-existing abilities but I'm guessing that goes too far for this project? (There's even a specific icon in the UI dataset for OKW infantry camo)

If all the animations/sounds/etc are there, you can be creative like this. Just like with the 221/223 that was added for OKW with the Commander Revamp.

It's just that the team can not create new models. So things like Hetzer (lacks firing animation) or new vehicles (Jagdpanther or whatever) are not possible.
10 Jan 2019, 23:38 PM

Guard heavy motor tactics

2cp guard rifles

4cp recon flight

7cp Crew repairs

8cp 152mm howizer

13cp is 2 heavy tank

Sorry but I think commanders like that would be too overpowered and just over-shadow all other docs due to insane versatility

Edit: on a second thought, there already exist commanders with such crazy versatility so I guess it would be ok if this doc gets added.

My point still stands tho
11 Jan 2019, 00:09 AM

We don't need new commanders. I would much rather they focus on refining and balancing current commanders. There are still quite a few commanders are simply overshadowed by others and don't have much utility, such as:

• Soviet Reserve Army

• Conscript Support Tactics

• Anti Infantry Tactics

• Festung Armor Doctrine

• Storm Doctrine

• Scavenge Doctrine (Ostwind is ass, comes too late)

• Rifle Company (Give riflemen flamethrower back or something, dunno)

• Recon Support Company (Greyhound still sucks IIRC. Paper dogshit light vehicle comes at 5 CPs ffs)

• Tactical Support Company (Too similar to and overshadowed by Infantry Company. Priest is much better than the Calliope. Make the Calliope similar to the Panzerwerfer, slight suppression, fast rockets, but short range.
11 Jan 2019, 02:45 AM

Can I just say its funny how many of the British ones want USF weapons and tanks like the m10 and Stuart
11 Jan 2019, 04:16 AM

Can I just say its funny how many of the British ones want USF weapons and tanks like the m10 and Stuart

Because we need to reuse existing models.

There is a similar case in OKW thread, too. A lot of OKW players want Ost's Pak 40.
11 Jan 2019, 04:54 AM

Because we need to reuse existing models.

There is a similar case in OKW thread, too. A lot of OKW players want Ost's Pak 40.

I understand in part but what about the models/abilities in the game that aren't in a commander?

Flamethrower pgrens, recon infantry sections, heinkel HE 111 bombing to name a few
11 Jan 2019, 06:00 AM

I understand in part but what about the models/abilities in the game that aren't in a commander?

Flamethrower pgrens, recon infantry sections, heinkel HE 111 bombing to name a few

There is a this kind of combination in OKW thread, too. People called them Panzerjadger, a combination of panzerfusiliers and anti-tank rifles.
11 Jan 2019, 07:54 AM

OKW commander ideas

1. Command Tiger
Don't like the idea of command Tiger for OKW. They already have command panther so they don't need extra aura unit. Normal tiger would be enough but of course with totally diffrent abilities like cammo (static), commander tank upgrade (buffs accuracy and vision like in Brits), smoke but like in sherman tank etc.

2. AT infantry squad
Highly welcome, in late stage could be basicly copy paste of pgrens with 2xshrek but this unit cannot have 2x shreks straight away. Or make it AT rifles Panzerbushe 39 for default and upgradable 2x shrek after 2 trucks set up (light AT weapon vs light vehicules and shreks vs medium tanks later game).

General question

A_Soldier used to propose the ostheer mg42 crew model as a new visual concept for new infantry squad. Alluding to that is there any infantry models that aren't used already in multiplayer but exist in game files?
11 Jan 2019, 08:01 AM

Sorry but I think commanders like that would be too overpowered and just over-shadow all other docs due to insane versatility

Edit: on a second thought, there already exist commanders with such crazy versatility so I guess it would be ok if this doc gets added.

My point still stands tho

I understand your concern, but i personally think its atleast a bit modest when it coems to combining abilities. There was other one with for mother russia, smokecover and il 2 loitter i think, it would be certainly fun but i can see it being laughably strong as well. I originally thinked about il 2 bmbing run and ppsh package for cons, but i thinked that would have made it too strong. Also when we look shock and guards rifle commanders, shocks are usually focused on heavy frontline combat, while guards ones have supportive abilities. Also i personally think recon flights and howizers are easy to counter.

but thank you for feedback
11 Jan 2019, 11:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jan 2019, 07:54 AMStark
OKW commander ideas

1. Command Tiger
Don't like the idea of command Tiger for OKW. They already have command panther so they don't need extra aura unit. Normal tiger would be enough but of course with totally diffrent abilities like cammo (static), commander tank upgrade (buffs accuracy and vision like in Brits), smoke but like in sherman tank etc.

2. AT infantry squad
Highly welcome, in late stage could be basicly copy paste of pgrens with 2xshrek but this unit cannot have 2x shreks straight away. Or make it AT rifles Panzerbushe 39 for default and upgradable 2x shrek after 2 trucks set up (light AT weapon vs light vehicules and shreks vs medium tanks later game).

General question

A_Soldier used to propose the ostheer mg42 crew model as a new visual concept for new infantry squad. Alluding to that is there any infantry models that aren't used already in multiplayer but exist in game files?

My idea uses the AT gun/Howitzer crew models, the MG ones have ammo belts around them while the mortar crew ones have their backpacks.

The ideal infantry model for me would be the Osttruppen but with a stahlhelm altho then again they would not be that unique obviously because of the Osttruppen.

I also think that the KT is starting to sound like a good idea for the Ost so I might edit my idea a bit. I want to fix their formatting anyhow.
11 Jan 2019, 12:03 PM

Did Andy tell about 1 new commander per faction or two? From what i remember there was suppose to be 2. But then i imagine that the first commander is made by community and second by balanceteam
PAGES (10)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS