Login

russian armor

COH2 for SteamOS

25 Sep 2013, 19:25 PM

Relic, are you going to reform the COH franchise for SteamOS? Also, I heard that SteamOS is very optimized for graphic processing than windows and able to run high end games better, so do you think playing COH2 on SteamOS is going to be a significantly better experience?

27 Sep 2013, 11:45 AM

I wonder if Steam OS will use keyboard and mouse, because controller RTSs are, well lets say, kinda crappy.
27 Sep 2013, 11:59 AM
Benefactor 115

steamOS is just linux, all the games available on linux right now will work on it, and going forward more and more games will be made for it.
I doubt smaller companies like Relic will port their existing games to it, expecially if they are directx only right now.
anyway, you can still play any windows steam game on steamOS by streaming it from your windows pc

I wonder if Steam OS will use keyboard and mouse, because controller RTSs are, well lets say, kinda crappy.

steam machines are simply computers, so you can still attach any usb device to them. they are just optimized to start with an interface for living room tvs and gamepads (like big picture)
28 Sep 2013, 11:27 AM

It would be awesome becouse they say steamOS will utialize all the cores on cpus and gpus, which is quite an issue nowadays.
But as tuvok said only the "big fish" will port their games to this new OS.
28 Sep 2013, 22:56 PM

Does anybody care about coh2 at this point?
28 Sep 2013, 23:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 11:27 AMPantus
It would be awesome becouse they say steamOS will utialize all the cores on cpus and gpus, which is quite an issue nowadays.

sry, but that is not true. utilizing "all the cores on cpus and gpus" is ALWAYS the programmers job, and not the OS's (every modern OS can "utilize all cores", if not, it's not worth the space it's taking up).

more on topic:
relic will not port to steamOS (at least 99.98% sure, prolly even more than that). a port like that costs loads of money, and you need the expertise for the OS, which Relic probably doesn't have (which would make the port probably cost them about as much as making the game in the first place).

also, i doubt that the steamOS will see any significant market share. people that want a pc in their living room to play at or use as a media center probably already have one (and if they do, they can already have steam on it too, whether it be windows or linux steam). but most people will probably use steam exclusively on their desktop pc. people that want to play on TV likely already have some sort of console or something similar.
Only Relic postRelic 29 Sep 2013, 00:16 AM

We study all possible platforms when debating where to release our games. Console and PC made sense for Space Marine but not CoH 2. We'll have to see how Steam OS develops before we commit either way.

There are some games like FIFA which sell in enough volume that they appear almost anywhere, even if just as roster updates of the year before (3DS, Wii). CoH 2 isn't a FIFA so we are more deliberate about picking our platforms.
29 Sep 2013, 06:55 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Sep 2013, 23:15 PMcr4wler

sry, but that is not true. utilizing "all the cores on cpus and gpus" is ALWAYS the programmers job, and not the OS's (every modern OS can "utilize all cores", if not, it's not worth the space it's taking up).

Sry, I checked my source and couldn't find where I got this from.

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Sep 2013, 00:16 AMNoun

CoH 2 isn't a FIFA so we are more deliberate about picking our platforms.

That's understandable.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS