Login

russian armor

moving the soviet sniper flare to vet 0

23 Dec 2018, 04:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2018, 04:03 AMgbem

its not exactly an axis clone per say... it still has lower rate of fire than the ost sniper to the point that it takes more shots to kill a 4 man squad than it takes the ost sniper to kill a 6 man squad.... which is exactly the problem... the ost sniper does everything better

maybe giving the sov sniper better scouting range or faster aimtime might do?

When the model count was dropped to 1 the Soviet sniper had its ROF increased to that of the OST sniper. They both fire ROUGHTLY the same speed, the OST sniper has a quicker aim time and faster reload/larger clip iirc so there's less down time but they both kill very quickly. A 4 man squad will fall before a 6 man squad now
23 Dec 2018, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

the only problem is that flare reveal the ost sniper too

Since when? I remember advocating for this change but i don't remember if they implement it. Flares of all types don't reveal cloaked units.
23 Dec 2018, 13:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2018, 04:03 AMgbem
its not exactly an axis clone per say... it still has lower rate of fire than the ost sniper to the point that it takes more shots to kill a 4 man squad than it takes the ost sniper to kill a 6 man squad.... which is exactly the problem... the ost sniper does everything better

maybe giving the sov sniper better scouting range or faster aimtime might do?

If the Ost sniper is better than the Sov sniper, nerf the Ost sniper. Snipers in general do not need to be better.
23 Dec 2018, 15:00 PM

Since when? I remember advocating for this change but i don't remember if they implement it. Flares of all types don't reveal cloaked units.
yea u right, maybe it was in the past ?
23 Dec 2018, 16:26 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

yea u right, maybe it was in the past ?

Nope never. Flares from sniper, to mortar and including the trip wire flare don't reveal cloaked units. I made a video in the past to show it to those who said this was the counter to the phase shift JPIV.
23 Dec 2018, 18:08 PM

Nope never. Flares from sniper, to mortar and including the trip wire flare don't reveal cloaked units. I made a video in the past to show it to those who said this was the counter to the phase shift JPIV.

Is there a website or a database where I can find which type of flare will reveal cloaked units?

I remember that my Raketen got revealed by UKF's flare, but I have no idea which type of flare UKF is using.
23 Dec 2018, 18:16 PM

Is there a website or a database where I can find which type of flare will reveal cloaked units?

I remember that my Raketen got revealed by UKF's flare, but I have no idea which type of flare UKF is using.

maybe testing in cheat mod would be faster
23 Dec 2018, 18:41 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Clarification. This is ability based i'm talking about.

Offmaps probably has other capabilities. This means both the OKW arty flares and UKF ones. What i don't know is the one which puts "mine flares" on every flag. I would assume those would not reveal units.
23 Dec 2018, 19:13 PM

Clarification. This is ability based i'm talking about.

Offmaps probably has other capabilities. This means both the OKW arty flares and UKF ones. What i don't know is the one which puts "mine flares" on every flag. I would assume those would not reveal units.
flare are very confusing
25 Dec 2018, 20:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Dec 2018, 03:48 AMgbem

i think the point there was that LMG grens concentrate most of their firepower on 1 man.. an lmg gren still has more firepower than a standard gren even with 1 man alive..

I do know that fact but if you are a soviet sniper player it should be easy to exploit the weaknesses of immobile grenadiers as you can pick them off from range i usually have bigger troubles fighting against light vehicles or g43 grens when playing sniper builds.
There are ways to micro snipers by simply A-moving them and fighting infantry (especially 4 man lmg grens) from range then backpaddling by a stop and new waypoint in your rear lines until they are ready to fire again (this should usually amass to around 2-3 kills per minute unless you are more careful as you have knowledge or fear of enemy snipers) In a perfect scenario you would use a russian infantry squad in green or yellow cover in a defensive position to screen for your sniper as this positions might require grenades (still dodgeable) or superior forces to be attacked - You usually shift your opponents attention to either dangerous maneuvers or to other parts of the map just like light vehicles snipers do not instantly win you the game but force your opponent to react and adapt to your playstyle.
25 Dec 2018, 20:36 PM

I do know that fact but if you are a soviet sniper player it should be easy to exploit the weaknesses of immobile grenadiers as you can pick them off from range i usually have bigger troubles fighting against light vehicles or g43 grens when playing sniper builds.
There are ways to micro snipers by simply A-moving them and fighting infantry (especially 4 man lmg grens) from range then backpaddling by a stop and new waypoint in your rear lines until they are ready to fire again (this should usually amass to around 2-3 kills per minute unless you are more careful as you have knowledge or fear of enemy snipers) In a perfect scenario you would use a russian infantry squad in green or yellow cover in a defensive position to screen for your sniper as this positions might require grenades (still dodgeable) or superior forces to be attacked - You usually shift your opponents attention to either dangerous maneuvers or to other parts of the map just like light vehicles snipers do not instantly win you the game but force your opponent to react and adapt to your playstyle.

actually i was just drawing a comparison between the ost sniper and the sov sniper... and thought that there was a disparity in their performance...despite both snipers being adequate in their roles... being a fan of both ost and sov snipers i dont really see the sov sniper as underperforming in any way... but i thought of adding an ability to achieve parity with OST snipers....

but maybe sov doesnt need parity... penals are good enough as it is but if the penal does get nerfed then sov sniper parity might be the next option...
25 Dec 2018, 23:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Dec 2018, 20:36 PMgbem

actually i was just drawing a comparison between the ost sniper and the sov sniper... and thought that there was a disparity in their performance...despite both snipers being adequate in their roles... being a fan of both ost and sov snipers i dont really see the sov sniper as underperforming in any way... but i thought of adding an ability to achieve parity with OST snipers....

but maybe sov doesnt need parity... penals are good enough as it is but if the penal does get nerfed then sov sniper parity might be the next option...

I honestly think that the soviet sniper usually performs better as it fits the faction timings and playstyles way better then the ostheer sniper. It also has a useful bulletin with the extended vision range that allows you to start with a better sight range that usually is enough for almost selfspotting at vet0

Also the opposing factions either consist of high reinforcement cost units (Ostheer with 25+ reinforcement costs per model (not counting osttruppen as i wouldn't advise to play sniperstarts against players with osttruppen docs in the loadout)) or you might face a faction that lacks access to snipers (only JLI as a snipercrit squad (but i wouldn't recommend playing sniper against ok on building maps anyway as you might get flanked and wiped early))

The Soviet sniper also works great to force the opposing player into light vehicle play which can get hardcountered by ptrs blobs if you wanna play that way.

I wouldn't advise to play any sniper on all maps in all matchups but I would say that any sniper doesn't do enough on the battlefield (if chosen under the right circumstances, in useful buildorders that work around lower capping units and higher cost units and on fitting maps).
26 Dec 2018, 21:59 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Invised multiple posts for being offtopic and having nothing to do with the thread topic. There is a perfectly good thread about JLI open currently. Corresponding posts of the offtopic posts also invised.
28 Dec 2018, 05:36 AM

I'd say the snipers are OK now. OST sniper has a great opportunity to hide behind HMG, so he can't be forced away by blob. It's very annoying, when he picks your inf, and you need to flank all the way around behind HMG to get to sniper. And that is not possible on some maps like aliance of defiance, kharkov, rails and metal.
Soviet sniper could't be protected by HMG, cuz it'll take a great tech cost in early game. So he is protected by penals or PTRS penals, and this is annoying too - u can't rush your LVs to sniper.

So each of them is annoying in some way)))
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★