Login

russian armor

So people are still okay with Sturmpios?

20 Dec 2018, 05:01 AM

Battle of 25mp reinforcement units

So what bothered me since OKW revamp was; why Sturmpio was still given unit?

OKW does not suffer from lack of resources anymore, Volks are good(maybe too good) for their price since it became 250mp unit with STGs(I still don't know why Thompson is so tabooed compared to STGs. Wolfenstein stuff I guess)

can't they give Kubel or Volks for starting unit? why does OKW gets free assault unit in the first place?
20 Dec 2018, 05:04 AM

20 Dec 2018, 05:04 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Yep. Playercard?
20 Dec 2018, 05:24 AM

Yes they are fine as it is. Just learn it's effective range, and when to attack. Don't take those Sturmpio's attact head on as you'll get decimated
20 Dec 2018, 05:27 AM

You are basically comparing SCV with Zergling here.
20 Dec 2018, 07:23 AM

From a design perspective, no, they're not ok. From a balance perspective they are ok.

They're irritating little gremlins. Would have liked to have seen OKW start with an MP40 volks squad, or some combination of short and mid range infantry units that would be balanced vs the other factions, but Lelic thought a gremlin troll squad would be more fun.
20 Dec 2018, 08:27 AM

sturmpios are fine imo... the real problem is prolly volks being too cheap and jager light infantry for being cancer...
20 Dec 2018, 08:28 AM

Yep. Playercard?

What an argument, especially when it comes from a moderator (spokesman)from this site. Keep it up man, that will encourage people to join this site and this community.
20 Dec 2018, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

What an argument, especially when it comes from a moderator (spokesman)from this site. Keep it up man, that will encourage people to join this site and this community.

Asking for a playercard shouldn't be an automatic feeling of been attacked. Not like it can be changed at this point. There's 2 ways of interpreting it, which people will always go for the more aggressive route (ad hominem).
It should be basically an A/S/L question. What faction you play, what rank you are playing at, what mode you are playing, what's your experience.

If playercard was to be forced on the balance section it would avoid this issues and you would see who really just wants to attack other people first hand.

Ontopic: OKW starting with Kubel was tested, it was shot down.
20 Dec 2018, 09:27 AM

Asking for a playercard shouldn't be an automatic feeling of been attacked. Not like it can be changed at this point. There's 2 ways of interpreting it, which people will always go for the more aggressive route (ad hominem).
It should be basically an A/S/L question. What faction you play, what rank you are playing at, what mode you are playing, what's your experience.

If playercard was to be forced on the balance section it would avoid this issues and you would see who really just wants to attack other people first hand.

Ontopic: OKW starting with Kubel was tested, it was shot down.

You are right but he could ask for it in another way.
Example: Could you post your player card so can help you better?
We all know what a simple "Player card please" means. We are to long in this forum to not know :)
20 Dec 2018, 09:31 AM

From a design perspective, no, they're not ok. From a balance perspective they are ok.

They're irritating little gremlins. Would have liked to have seen OKW start with an MP40 volks squad, or some combination of short and mid range infantry units that would be balanced vs the other factions, but Lelic thought a gremlin troll squad would be more fun.

I would say that you're wrong on the design perspective. Keep in mind that this game is design on Asymmetric Level. Each units are forcing your opponent to constantly rethink their end of the strategy or else the whole gameplay wouldn't be interesting.

This is not chess where everything should be the same at the beginning, and Sturmpioneer is the forefront idea of the unit design. They may look intimidating at the early stage, but if you are smart enough to know it's range effective and avoid it's kill zone, you can fight back that expansive unit. This is in form a reward for the ally units to outplay those unit. Heck i've seen early game Conscript can fought off Sturmpio if u know how to keep it's range away from your unit.
20 Dec 2018, 10:31 AM

Yes stumrpio's are fine imo.
20 Dec 2018, 10:38 AM

Battle of 25mp reinforcement units

So what bothered me since OKW revamp was; why Sturmpio was still given unit?

OKW does not suffer from lack of resources anymore, Volks are good(maybe too good) for their price since it became 250mp unit with STGs(I still don't know why Thompson is so tabooed compared to STGs. Wolfenstein stuff I guess)

can't they give Kubel or Volks for starting unit? why does OKW gets free assault unit in the first place?

Why does UKF start with an infantry section squad instead of an engineer squad? There are many "why" in this game, but keep in mind, Stumpioneers aren't a big threat as long as you keep your troops together. In the early game, you can also put your lone squad (be it Riflemen, Cons or Tommies) in garrison and see it dealing with Stumpioneers very well. I have done it, many people have done it and they keep doing it. Again, Stumpioneers are NOT a big deal.
20 Dec 2018, 12:40 PM

I think sturmpios are pretty much fine. Yes, they give OKW good starting pressure power, but they are counterable, and expensive. Losing them early is a heavy blow to OKW build up. Allied player should always keep in mind where SP are and focus them down first, for they have good DPS.

But since the volks are pretty strong now, maybe givind OKW volks as a first unit (and +50 start MP) will work good? In this way OKW player will actually have to decide wich unit to get. For what i see now - in 80% games OKW just continiously get volks.
20 Dec 2018, 12:58 PM
20 Dec 2018, 14:32 PM

20 Dec 2018, 16:00 PM

I think sturmpios are pretty much fine. Yes, they give OKW good starting pressure power, but they are counterable, and expensive. Losing them early is a heavy blow to OKW build up. Allied player should always keep in mind where SP are and focus them down first, for they have good DPS.

But since the volks are pretty strong now, maybe givind OKW volks as a first unit (and +50 start MP) will work good? In this way OKW player will actually have to decide wich unit to get. For what i see now - in 80% games OKW just continiously get volks.

In fact, Volk start may make OKW even better at early engagement. Because in most cases, you want your Volks engage enemy first, then use Sturmpion to flank.

Especially effective against new players who has no idea to switch targets.
20 Dec 2018, 16:24 PM

To OP: Will you stand in front of a train and expect to derail it with your bare fists? Well same mechanic here. Sturmpios are the earliest assault squad and they stop shining real fast too. Riflemen can deal with them and even more in cover. Just adapt your gameplay, its fine and fun for everyone this way.
20 Dec 2018, 16:42 PM

It's not fun for everyone, but Sturmies aren't an issue, Volks punching above their weight are.
Double Sturms starts fall flat on their face quite easily, proving they are just strong in the very early game, once you get even numbers they can't do much but bleed manpower.
20 Dec 2018, 17:16 PM

I would say that you're wrong on the design perspective. Keep in mind that this game is design on Asymmetric Level. Each units are forcing your opponent to constantly rethink their end of the strategy or else the whole gameplay wouldn't be interesting.

This is not chess where everything should be the same at the beginning, and Sturmpioneer is the forefront idea of the unit design. They may look intimidating at the early stage, but if you are smart enough to know it's range effective and avoid it's kill zone, you can fight back that expansive unit. This is in form a reward for the ally units to outplay those unit. Heck i've seen early game Conscript can fought off Sturmpio if u know how to keep it's range away from your unit.

To clarify, that's my opinion on design. I like COH2 best when its about positioning and using ranges and cover correctly, rather than bumrushing stuff. Sturmpios are the snowball that rolls downhill, you need to blob your units to deal with sturmpios early, but if he is blobbing volks + pios, you need 3 units, and it just escalates from there. Contrast that "dance" to conscripts vs grens + mg. Which is more interesting and involves more thought rather than just fast reflexes and "blob" command groups?

Imagine what the game would have been like if people had to think more and there wasn't an annoying high DPS squad to have to deal with first thing, sturmpios make for less maneuver and more arcade action.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★