Login

russian armor

Lets talk about the 76 Shermans

19 Dec 2018, 15:48 PM

Just tried the revamped mech commander, and damn… best decision ever
Particularly these old-new beast really exceeded my expectations

The thing is, I only got to enjoy raping infantry and also some OKW HQ buildings (which last like twenty seconds against a pair of vetted 76s), since the opponent decided to stall for a KT (So it aint really a surprise that he lost)

So the question is, how good they are against panzers and panthers (armor and penetration wise, guess the overall DPS is likely gonna be huge given the rate of fire)

And in which situation should one NOT get these things?
19 Dec 2018, 16:01 PM

I'd get them all the time vs OKW, to use HVAP to put a dent even on their heavily armored PZ4s, gotta test regular rounds vs OST PZ4s but it's a minor improvement with better rate of fire right?

When you need more AI, that's where I'd skip them, otherwise they are a solid investment.
19 Dec 2018, 16:51 PM

Just tried the revamped mech commander, and damn… best decision ever
Particularly these old-new beast really exceeded my expectations

The thing is, I only got to enjoy raping infantry and also some OKW HQ buildings (which last like twenty seconds against a pair of vetted 76s), since the opponent decided to stall for a KT (So it aint really a surprise that he lost)

So the question is, how good they are against panzers and panthers (armor and penetration wise, guess the overall DPS is likely gonna be huge given the rate of fire)

And in which situation should one NOT get these things?

I did outnumber a Panther 4 to 1, but it was very reliable. 1 bounced, 3 penned. Next volley it was dead with no bounces. The 76mm is a solid upgrade over the 75mm, and whatever AI performance it lost is more than compensated for by being far nastier against tanks.

There is almost no circumstance where the 75mm should be used if 76s are available.

This is a non academic, non serious test but rather in-game though.
19 Dec 2018, 16:58 PM

You can always get one Scott to boost your men killing power to make up for the Upgunned Shermans, it will still bleed squads with it's .50 cal and very fast reload speed, very fun unit to use.
23 Dec 2018, 20:20 PM

HVAP seems to do a great job against panthers from my experience and normal rounds seem to be able to take on anything less armored, I don’t know about KTs yet as I have yet to go up against one though. When you get 2-3 of them they also do a very good job for an at focused tank against infantry. Nothing like an HE sherman, but they seem pretty able to snipe individual infantrymen and their high firerate (esp. with radio intercept). I’d still rather use these against infantry than Cromwells or t34/76s even, and their at is much better.
10 Mar 2019, 04:41 AM

They're pretty okay. For a USF unit they are very good and much more cost effective than a normal Sherman.
10 Mar 2019, 05:03 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

HVAP pen: 165/180/220 at ranges 40/20/0
OST P4 armor = 180
OKW P4 armor, (OST w/skirts) = 234
Panther armor = 260

HVAP also grants +15%(?) acc.

Tell me it's balanced for 130F
10 Mar 2019, 05:11 AM

HVAP pen: 165/180/220 at ranges 40/20/0
OST P4 armor = 180
OKW P4 armor 234 (OST w/skirts) = 234
Panther armor = 260

HVAP also grants +15%(?) acc.

Tell me it's balanced for 130F

Like nearly all USF units they could be better but they are 125 fuel not 130, they're a fairly cost effective tank.
10 Mar 2019, 05:19 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2019, 05:11 AMCODGUY

Like nearly all USF units they could be better but they are 125 fuel not 130, they're a fairly cost effective tank.

I mean sure if you drive your tank in rear armor exposed it's probably pretty bad.
10 Mar 2019, 06:01 AM

I mean sure if you drive your tank in rear armor exposed it's probably pretty bad.

Wait so you're upset USF actually has a unit that is halfway decent? It's not like it makes up for their garbage Riflemen, or their garbage tech tree.
13 Mar 2019, 12:42 PM

I like the 76 Shermans with the HVAP rounds they turn into panther/tiger assassins.

I melted two King Tigers with two, 2 star vet 76 shermans the other day. The rotation speed of the tiger and king tigers turret is so slow you can run rings around them before they fire a shot. The Panther has a faster rotation speed so you need to be much more careful with them. Having said that, if you get flank a panther with even one HVAP 76 sherman you have a good chance of knocking it our.

The normal at rounds are decent against light vehicles and medium tanks but i use them mainly to counter heavy german armour, the HVAP rounds hit harder then Easy 8's and by the time they get too vet 3 they have an insane ROF. They also do decent damage to buildings.

Against infantry they are garbage but thats what the cavalry riflemen with thompsons are for.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★