Login

russian armor

How to deal with a well microed Vickers UC and rush to AEC?

6 Dec 2018, 09:48 AM

I forgot to save the replay and was no doubt facing a much better opponent, but his strategy left med puzzled on how to best deal with it.

We were playing on Crossing in the woods and he was harrassing me with a universal carrier. Now this guy knew what he was doing, so there was no way I was getting within faust range, even with the appropriate bullitin. So every time I wanted to cap a fuel point it was a decision between loosing 2-3 soldiers in the squad, or retreat before I completed the capture - This of course only got worse when he got the vickers upgrade.

Because of this it didn't take long for him to get a significant fuel advantage, so by the time I had enough fuel to push out the natural enemy of the UC, the 222, he had already teched for the AEC and could bring it to the field about a minute after my 222. At this point it was basically a downward spiral to gg.

This strategy probably won't work on all maps, as some are easier to flank and hide units on, but on maps like crossing and langres, this must be really strong as the ostheer dosen't really have any good counters before t2 (this guy was not about to rush into a teller even if I had been able to scrape together the munitions).

I'm not really sure what my point is with this post, as I don't think it's a balance issue or that my oppenent was doing anything cheesy (he was just better at the game), but I would still like to spitball this challenge and if anyone else has had issues with this and what you feel like works against it.
6 Dec 2018, 12:42 PM

this is a normal brit opener on crossing to get a vicker and a UC.
the solution is simple to state but requires mind presence : if he locks you out of both fuels, this means the 2 cutoffs are not well defended.
try to train yourself into cutting the opponent of if they are defending the ressources and the opposite if they are defending the cuttofs.
keep a gren near the 222 to defend it from the AEC.
8 Dec 2018, 09:53 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Dec 2018, 12:42 PMSyraw
this is a normal brit opener on crossing to get a vicker and a UC.
the solution is simple to state but requires mind presence : if he locks you out of both fuels, this means the 2 cutoffs are not well defended.
try to train yourself into cutting the opponent of if they are defending the ressources and the opposite if they are defending the cuttofs.
keep a gren near the 222 to defend it from the AEC.

The maps are a little small for this to work surely and if your playing OST grens are not great offensively to push cutoffs when one IS squad in cover will shred them. You might cut them off for 30s but you still don’t have the fuels. I can’t beat a well microed Bren (though I am poor at the game). Until I get lucky with a pak by which time it’s often too late. Early piats can often frustrate the 222.

Mostly I hope the Brit player makes a mistake and if they don’t then I figure they deserved to win
8 Dec 2018, 12:31 PM

Just have a commander with the camo option for sprint. Jaeger commander is very good to have as option, then you will get sprint to faust that UC.

Just know where the vickers is before sprinting for the faust, you want to lure the UC little bit out of position from his MG cover.

Anyway sprint + fausts = dead UC.

ps. Later on sprint with pgren shrecks is a very good to have.
8 Dec 2018, 12:58 PM

Good thing that nobody said to build a raketen as counter in this thread.

because i would ve raged then
8 Dec 2018, 13:00 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Good thing that nobody said to build a raketen as counter in this thread.

Just build an M1 AT gun. It has the highest fire rate and widest arc of all the AT guns, so it counters the UC really well.
8 Dec 2018, 13:21 PM

Just build an M1 AT gun. It has the highest fire rate and widest arc of all the AT guns, so it counters the UC really well.

While you are building M1 you can build UC to counter the UC...
8 Dec 2018, 13:42 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2018, 13:21 PMThamor

While you are building M1 you can build UC to counter the UC...

At that point, I'd prefer to just counter it with a KT. Countering UCs is the KT's one true purpose, after all.
8 Dec 2018, 14:42 PM

At that point, I'd prefer to just counter it with a KT. Countering UCs is the KT's one true purpose, after all.

You have a point, but when JT is the true counter of all...
9 Dec 2018, 04:59 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2018, 14:42 PMThamor

You have a point, but when JT is the true counter of all...

Typical noob doesn't understand that at high level play, pro players will just circle your JT with their UC. Checkmate, the JT does not counter the UC.
9 Dec 2018, 05:04 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

Shouldn't the state office have more legitment posts about what OP is asking?

@OP: It's borderline abusive against both axis factions. But it's considered "balanced" because grens can have snares early and OKW has t0 rak. The play against it is to attempt to play like you would against a sniper. Don't allow it to bleed you. Use sightblockers to go for snares or not at all. Fast 222 would be your best bet as OST. That or you could try and take advantage of some commanders sprint abilities and hope for a player mistake/pathing issues.
9 Dec 2018, 09:43 AM
Donator 11

I would say early mines could be the solution. Brits are the only faction that can't build an early sweeper, yet they extensively use light vehicles in the early game.
9 Dec 2018, 10:11 AM
Donator 11

I would say early mines could be the solution. Brits are the only faction that can't build an early sweeper, yet they extensively use light vehicles in the early game.

The UC is really early, firstly trying to lay a mine in a frontline spot that early is going to get spotted (probably by the uc which then kills he pios while they lay it) and if you spend 50 on a teller you don’t have the Faust when the uc overextends.

The big problem with fighting a uc is you can’t extend, you have to huddle in cover with you units close to support to push it away.
9 Dec 2018, 11:02 AM

Typical noob doesn't understand that at high level play, pro players will just circle your JT with their UC. Checkmate, the JT does not counter the UC.

Not when you secure your flanks with OKW trucks, can't circle it then!!
9 Dec 2018, 19:41 PM

Ookay I've been away for the weekende and can see that my post went a bit of the rails (and metal?) while I was away *cough cough Jae! *cough

But all in all I got some good feedback and it seems I was not entirely wrong in my assesment that the UC is a very strong 1v1 opener on crossing.

The mere fact that some of the main advice for countering is:
1. Locking into a commander with a CP1 camo ability
2. buying the camo upgrade for a grenadier
3. Make the camo gren stay hidden, until it is within sprinting distance.
4. Fire of a snare
5 ... which on its own will still not kill the UC

Must be a pretty good indication that this is a challenge :rofl:
9 Dec 2018, 21:22 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

But it's a fun and interactive mechanic!!!! Playing against a unit that has high armor and DPS at minute zero and takes zero bleed!!!
9 Dec 2018, 21:26 PM

Just build a jagdtiger. It should be able to kill the UC from pretty far away if you micro it right.
15 Dec 2018, 03:24 AM

As long as you have a T0 HMG42 the way it is now, you will always have an overwhelming advantage over either western faction. Its all about proper placement and it will always be far easier to place an HMG than for your opponent to dislodge one.
15 Dec 2018, 04:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2018, 03:24 AMCODGUY
As long as you have a T0 HMG42 the way it is now, you will always have an overwhelming advantage over either western faction. Its all about proper placement and it will always be far easier to place an HMG than for your opponent to dislodge one.

As we all know, hmgs are obviously the traditional counter to light vehicles and are completely relevant to this thread.
15 Dec 2018, 16:53 PM

As we all know, hmgs are obviously the traditional counter to light vehicles and are completely relevant to this thread.

That one is. It denys the field to everything except medium tanks.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★