Login

russian armor

Do you like the NEW Angoville?

5 Dec 2018, 02:07 AM

Still working on revisions for Angoville for the 1 to 2 people that care :P It is also not decided if any updates are allowed. But just in case...

1. North mirror tree line moved further north.
2. Center shed moved to mirror south VP blocker.
3. Hedge by cutoff building changed to hay stack and moved more central to fighting area.
4. Chimny added to cutoff house so house cannot fight in the south direction.
5. Gaps in VP hedges opened slightly.
6. Hedge added back between cutoff house and north house to aid south attacks.
7. Right Hedges moved to allow for grenade tossing behind sight blocks.
8. Munition hedges reduced and side hedges removed.

1. Three sight blocker hedges changed to hay stacks to map will open early/mid game.
2. Fuel moved to balance the new hay stacks.

THOUGHTS:
- Could swap the cutoff building with a building that has no side windows. Used a chimny to try and keep the original look as much as possible.
- It was suggested to move the munitions. I like where they are because you are rewarded for your journey to get them. Could move them both close to base on left side to further reward taking the left side. Since the norths cutoff is left, having too many resources left may favor South spawn.
- Could just remove the two haystacks by left fuel?

Of course it wont be official until ShadwLink smashes me on it :guyokay:

Chimny shot
14 Dec 2018, 22:26 PM

Sadly this map has moved to the top of my veto list.

I have tried and tried to overlook it's short comings but I always get to a point in the game where I become enraged by the obstacles that interfere with gameplay.

Clear all the shit away and this map will be fine. The changes to bottom VP, removal / change of dominant houses and additional flanking routes are all fine and all that was needed.
4 Jan 2019, 04:31 AM

ANGOVILLE v7

Angoville Steam Link

One complaint I have seen is that the updated Angoville was ugly. Which it was due to a couple things like the spidery looking hedgerow objects, reduction of the green farm area, and the removal of the stone wall by the south base. Version 7 tries to address those concerns as well.

REVISION 7:
A) Cleaned up visuals:
- Made middle green area larger.
- Added stone fence where original stone walls existed.
- Added stone fence on north base exit to match new south green cover.
- Left side dirty fields changed to grassy fields.
- Added several off map building / areas.
- Added creek / bridge on left side.
B) Swapped south cutoff house for house with no south facing windows.
C) Added sight blocker on north main bulding to north base.
D) Made a few paths wider for Firefly passage.
E) Removed additional sight blockers.
F) Readded original shed on far left munition for spawns.
G) Optimized base MG layout.
H) Fixed a hidden pathing issue in newer north cutoff entrance.

5 Jan 2019, 01:35 AM

ANGOVILLE NORMALIZED VICTORY POINTS

Angoville NVP Steam Link

This version focuses on the final two major layout issues not covered in earlier versions: VP layout and cutoffs. It is designed as an option and guide to possible changes in the future.

CHANGES:
- Based on Rosbone Angoville version 7.
- VP and fuels centered across map.
- Cutoffs are now on opposite sides and are sight blocked to center buildings.
- Some hedgerows were moved to allow for easier side to side movement.
- South shed changed for better movement thru the area.
- Elevation flattened on most of the map.

9 Jan 2019, 21:15 PM

And now...wait for it....wait for it..... <drum roll>

2v2 Angoville NVP Steam Link

I know that no one here will care but I thought it would be a funny post :foreveralone:
9 Jan 2019, 23:41 PM

i wonder what the most played coh map (1&2) is in total.

Scheldt not included
10 Jan 2019, 00:13 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2018, 21:22 PMTric

did anyone really like angoville being in rotation even before the changes? It is just another grandfathered in vcoh map that doesn't translate well into coh 2.

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Dec 2018, 21:22 PMTric

the player base is larger than these forums.

+1

Id also like to quote the Worldbuilding with Whiteflash article (the article is old and a could be updated but this quote is very relevant here)

"If time passes and you aren't happy with your map, don't be afraid to start over. Yes I said it, start over. It's a massive pain, but you learn so much with every map made that it's worth the effort the majority of the time. For me it was my map Kurland Pocket. I worked on Kurland for months and it just wasn't doing what I wanted, so I started over and made arguably my best COH1 map, Argentan Crossroads. I learned so much from experimenting on Kurland, and it undoubtedly made Argentan better. The feedback from players doesn't always get you where you want to go, but it is critical to effective progress regardless."

Angoville is a beloved COH1 map that simply doesn't translate well, as Tric said, into COH2. The nature of the resource system among other things aren't compatible and this map likely should be removed from the ladder pool, however that would be pending an updated giant data analysis and words with experts, because as again Tric said and he is right, these forums dont represent nearly all the people who play this map or 1v1 auto in general.

PS props to Rosebone for an honest attempt to make this map work
10 Jan 2019, 01:14 AM

i wonder what the most played coh map (1&2) is in total.

Scheldt not included

I am going to guess Achelous River.

A well balanced 1v1 map will get like 50 - 200 subs. Maybe 1k if it looks really cool. Someone remakes Achelous and it gets 100k to 300k subs.

Making maps for Automatch is a huge waste of time. You have almost no chance of getting it in rotation. Get shit on by everyone in the community. Sounds fun, will do again!

Make a city map with a couple bridges = 200K subs. Nothing but praise :P

EDIT:
Achelous River
The map is busted for USF and still gets 180k downloads and praise out the ass. I know what maps I'm working on from now on. Screw the 60 1v1 players we have left :P
10 Jan 2019, 09:07 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2019, 01:14 AMRosbone

Make a city map with a couple bridges = 200K subs. Nothing but praise :P

This is something i just understand. I just don't. Can someone explain it to me?
10 Jan 2019, 17:04 PM

This is something i just understand. I just don't. Can someone explain it to me?

Most people want huge head on battles. Usually battles that they win. The Relic AI gets easy to beat unless you set it to EXPERT. And at expert, it cheats a lot by sneaking around your units since it has no FOW. So you never get a good battle. You just chase sneaky little cockroaches all game long.

Making a bridge forces them to fight at the bridge. They cant sneak around behind you all day. So you are guaranteed a good fight at least at the bridge.

Another option is a long lane, such as a map I made called The Narrow. This map is the best for Comp Stomps because it is a narrow 4v4. Which means you can play it 4v1 if you want. See how long you can hang with 4 expert bots coming at you. It is also best to stack one side of the map with extra muni and fuel so you can play from the easy side or the hard side for more options.
10 Jan 2019, 18:14 PM

Here is a shot of The Narrow for example. At its narrowest width it is around 85 meters. So that is like a 4v4 being played on just the left side of Crossroads. Not all of crossroads. Just one side. This is what the comp stomp community loves.

The maps look is the most important thing. Narrow areas is second. How balanced or how well units move thru it is never a concern at all. And cutoffs confuse the bot so dont use them.

This was my first COH2 map and it does not look very good. So I only have 10k subs :foreveralone:

Play against 4 expert Soviet bots and try to hold when 8 to 12 penal squads come straight at you. Or against OST when 222 and flametracks are blobbed at you since the bot gets about 3 times your fuel income. Good luck :P

The most fun map I made was vCOH achelous river necked down to just the middle section. No bridges at all. Flak 88 emplacements premade on one side of the map. Hold out as long as you can. Average score was 250k damage per hour played.

Usually lasted 90 minutes. Could be almost infinite depending on the bots choices and how damaged the area got. It eventually becomes impassable in vCOH. So you cannot win. So you need to go USF and make about 6-8 howies then decrew them to regain pop cap. Then spam tanks. Then reman the howies with engrs. Hit like 140 pop cap. gg.

On a heavily modified version of Trics original FAILED DROP vCOH map, I had over a million damage in about 5 hours of play. Freaking epic! So you can see why I get bored playing a 1v1.
16 Mar 2019, 10:45 AM

For the love of god, remove this steaming POS until it can be fixed by someone who has some idea about balancing a map..
16 Mar 2019, 11:57 AM

For the love of god, remove this steaming POS until it can be fixed by someone who has some idea about balancing a map..

Someone lost a match today. :*(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS