Unannounced CoH Project:
One important news update to my previous post about new CoH game director:
So it looks like The Sequence Group in collaboration with Relic is gearing up to release the CoH3/CoHnline/CoH:X? announcement trailer.
The Sequence Group created a new URL directory called “relicentertainment2018”;
“Hello Relic Entertainment!
Eager to pass along some of our new material in hopes we can collaborate again.”
The Sequence Group have previously made these Relic trailers;
The British Forces (IMO very good trailers):
Last Stand Necron Overlord - DoW II: Retribution:
For the unannounced CoH project, Relic hired one concept artist from The Sequence Group (former Halo artist):
The Relic mystery box reveals the "secret sponsor" behind the 20K $ tournament prize pool?:
Who will market this new CoH game?
More speculation from COBRA:
In hindsight, this sounds more like a third gen "CoH Online" coming to PC+console before CoH3. Connect the dots. But "maybe" they will announce CoH3 early just like AoE4.
A few points/dots:
1) I know this is not what fans like to hear, but the CoH2/CoH3 team got torn apart in 2015/2016 to favor AoE4+DoW3 development.
This can be confirmed easily just by looking at Linkedin.
For the art department alone, 3 CoH "art directors" left along with the DoW3 art director.
Bleeding essential talents like that is brutal and can't easily be replaced.
Quote resetera (former Neograf):
Negative (because I don't feel that Relic can replace those people without drop in quality or productivity):
Principal Artist Ian Cumming - Left in this january- 15 yrs at relic
Lead Environment Artist Ian Guise - Left in this January - 13 yrs at relic
Lead Concept Artist David T. Cheong - Left this January - 20+ yrs at relic
Lead AI and Gameplay Engineer Anthony Bergelt - left studio in october 2017, about 9 yrs at relic
Important Generalist Programmer that make many thing for Essence - Michel Schmidt - left studio in october 2017 - 13 yrs at relic
Senior Core Gamepaly Designer - Damon Gauthier - left studio in August 2017 - 13 yrs at relic.
What is more, Essence engine must retain core programmers and tech artists, otherwise new employees will be overwhelmed and inexperienced with the unique and highly custom engine.
Realistic speaking with Relic busy working with AoE4/Microsoft it'll take years, not months to rebuild the CoH3 team so IMO lower your expectations.
Without the MS money to keep the studio afloat, Relic would be in big trouble. Fortunately, there is no good triple-A studio's left except Blizzard that can make AoE4 which won't happen. Maybe CA could make AoE4 but they are busy with other projects.
But yes, Relic is rebuilding the CoH team and recently got back this CoH art director.
First gen "CoH Online" was the beta that got canceled in 2011:
The lead designer on that game died in a car crash.
To this day, they still have the Brian Wood Memorial Internship. Looks like new interns have been working on CoH2 modding tools.
Relic Quote: "Familiarity with Relic’s COH2 modding tools"
A big mod update was hinted at in the last CoH2 roadmap:
Relic Quote: We hope that advances to COH2’s modding tools will also take place in the coming months, allowing additional forms of content to be created by the community as well - however this is still to be confirmed.
Company of Heroes gets a massive modding update after 10 years
3) The second gen "CoH Online" was planned between 2012-2015 and I have documented this in previous posts.
But to quote myself:
Seems Relic’s Expanding Its Free-to-Play Plans
by Patrick Klepek on September 20, 2012
RTS studio looking for several employees to head up F2P projects.
Screenshot - Relic website 2012;????
Full job description for CoH2 Executive Producer FTP:
So who was hired to help with this?
Former Relic GM 2009-2011, EP 2006-2009, 2012-2013
link permanenteembedsalvarpaidenunciardar goldresponder
4) Relic/Sega updated the domain for www.coh-online.com on 2015-04-14 and 2017-06-16 (un-usual timed only few days after MS biggest E3 show in years). Post-E3 show, the AoE/CoH lead designer, Mitchell Lagran join new MS studio:
5) The month before the MS E3 show, the top marketing/PR guys in Relic get laid off. In, early 2018 they probably were asked to "retire" with 3+ months pay.
The Relic CoH/AoE brand manager was involved as marketing coordination between studio & publisher:
After leaving Relic, the marketing director reveal new investment into new CoH roadmap:https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/9b6gun/new_coh3_funding_info/
6) Why did these top MS gaming leaders visit Vancouver on September 29th, 2018?: think critically
https://www.linkedin.com/in/noah-musler-b85855/ (Contract negotiations & content acquisition. Former SEGA)
The creative director for AoE4, Adam Isgreen visited Vancouver/Relic on 4. Oct. 2018.
MS work with 3 studios in Vancouver. The Coalition (which they own), Skybox Labs and Relic Entertainment.
Why so many former Relicans working for The Coalition?
Why is The Coalition expanding into PC strategy games with Gear Tactics?
7) Who is responsible for negotiations behind this 20K$ tournament price pool and new CoH roadmap?
Why has Sega not made one single tweet about this tournament (nor Relic in general) after September 29th?
Why the radio silence from Sega?
No, I did not suggest the tournament money did not come from Sega. But this:
Sweetening the Deal:
8) Alex Garden, the founder of Relic is old friends with the guy involved with the new Relic office lease. Coincidence?
Quote Alex Garden:
"About 20 years ago I was fortunate enough to start working with Colin Scarlett from Colliers International Thanks for coming to visit us today. Every time we compare notes I learn something."
New Relic Office - Lease of the Year:
Quote Colin Scarlett
Executive Vice President at Colliers International Canada (Personal Real Estate Corporation)
Excited to win both the Office Lease of the Year (client: Relic Entertainment) and Investment Deal of the Year (client: Fortinet)
9) Third gen "CoH Online" TBA? Andy said/CoH CM ( 6 months ago); There’s a lot on the cards for 2018, and we’re going to be focused on communicating more clearly with our players, and working more closely with the community. I can’t say more just yet, but I’m super excited for what’s to come. https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/comment/277101#Comment_277101