Login

russian armor

Adjustment of building covers

11 Oct 2018, 07:18 AM

Currently, building cover in CoH2 works a little strange.
The building cover provides a cover similar to a heavy cover (not exactly the same), but the cover effect is always taken regardless of whether the opponent unit is approaching a certain distance.

So, it's a little different from common sense.
Generally, urban combat is a battlefield where weapons with close firepower such as 'PPsh, StG44, Thompson'.
However, due to this cover system, fighting is now dominant, occupying buildings and building long distance units like bolt-action and lmg.

This creates a strange case where a squad of submachine gunners is defeated in close proximity to a bolt-action rifle that occasionally occupies the building.
Also, these things make it harder to use cqb experts who are made up of submachine gunners in urban combat.
I do not know if I remember correctly, but I remember that in CoH1, when I was very close to the building, the cover effect was also attenuated. And I remember that it was more convincing and balanced.
Making changes in this way is also helpful in preventing tedious glitches from repeating entering and exiting a building.
I would like to hear your thoughts on this issue.
11 Oct 2018, 07:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 07:18 AMLoren
Currently, building cover in CoH2 works a little strange.

Actually the current system allows the use of anti-garrison weapons like flamers and mortars.

Imo garrison is fine, garrison-trench should have more limitation but me more powerful and the point blank mechanism should become more "linear" instead of "yes/no".
11 Oct 2018, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing buffs for SMGs (not sure about STGs, might be OP) versus garrisons at close range. It would help the popularity for certain units (like Shocks) by giving them more utility, without having to buff their performance in open combat. It's only logical they would shred any infantry inside with their automatic weapons, especially considering they would easily be able to enter and clear a building IRL. In urban combat small automatic weapons obviously (should) have a huge advantage over bolt action rifles.
11 Oct 2018, 10:46 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 07:18 AMLoren

but the cover effect is always taken regardless of whether the opponent unit is approaching a certain distance.

I do not understand what you mean here. Are you saying that the cover effect is active regardless of the distance of the opponent, because this is true for all types of cover.

Do you mean the cover is active whenever an opponent is entering an unspecified distance? And if so, please specify this distance you are referring to and why that distance to target in particular should punish defenders.

Or are you saying that the cover effect is granted to the approaching enemy?
11 Oct 2018, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Oct 2018, 10:46 AMSerrith

I do not understand what you mean here. Are you saying that the cover effect is active regardless of the distance of the opponent, because this is true for all types of cover.

Do you mean the cover is active whenever an opponent is entering an unspecified distance? And if so, please specify this distance you are referring to and why that distance to target in particular should punish defenders.

Or are you saying that the cover effect is granted to the approaching enemy?

Non garrison cover is affected by a mechanic called "point blank". All small arm fire basically ignore defensive cover bonuses when they are below 10 range. This doesn't apply to garrison cover.

I think garrison is fine. Remember that the squad inside a building, has limited offensive potential as long as you know how to approach the side with less windows.

That been said, i wouldn't mind seeing SPECIFIC UNITS, not weapons, been better at clearing garrison through small arm fire. Similar or a bit worst in how IR STG are currently working.
Shocks, Ass Guards, Partisans, Ass Grens, Storm, Smg (NOT STG) Volks, Assault Eng, Thompson Paras (?), Commandos (?).
11 Oct 2018, 13:38 PM
Donator 11

Non garrison cover is affected by a mechanic called "point blank". All small arm fire basically ignore defensive cover bonuses when they are below 10 range. This doesn't apply to garrison cover.

I think garrison is fine. Remember that the squad inside a building, has limited offensive potential as long as you know how to approach the side with less windows.

That been said, i wouldn't mind seeing SPECIFIC UNITS, not weapons, been better at clearing garrison through small arm fire. Similar or a bit worst in how IR STG are currently working.
Shocks, Ass Guards, Partisans, Ass Grens, Storm, Smg (NOT STG) Volks, Assault Eng, Thompson Paras (?), Commandos (?).

+1 Current building dynamic is build around either hard counter (nades, mortars), or siege from distance with small arms, which is possible thanks to limited number of windows and green cover giving better bonus. And that is very good design wise, but it doesn't make as much sense historically so it might be hard to guess for new players. I would strongly disagree that adding point blank mechanic to buildings is a good idea, but some mechanic increasing the damage for smgs against units in building cover could work.
11 Oct 2018, 14:23 PM

Thanks for the info, for some reason I think I remember this mechanic, but it hasn't stuck in my head for a while.
12 Oct 2018, 00:12 AM

Permanently Banned
This has been a topic frequently broached, house fighting should likely be enhanced in CoH3. So shut up and live with the house cheese. There's no way Relic is devoting any resources to change fundamentals.
12 Oct 2018, 05:08 AM

I mean, SMGs already do fair damage against garrisoned squads by sheer virtue of their rate of fire at such a close range.

You're supposed to get flammenwerfers or mortars or throw grenades to deal with units in buildings.

What you're asking for would basically remove the need for the aforementioned garrison counters which have existed in Relic's tactical RTS games since vanilla Dawn of War II, while simultaneously breaking multiple units (Assault Grenadiers would go from useless to godlike, Commandos would instawipe garrisons, etc.), oh and probably kill Ostheer completely (LMGs are only truly viable from garrison windows due to the absurd target acquisition and other pauses Grenadier LMGs incur when outside).

Doesn't make any sense to change this, either for weapons or for squads.
12 Oct 2018, 05:13 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

If you thought jumping in and out of garrisons is cheesey now you should've seen pre DBP.....
12 Oct 2018, 08:23 AM

Definitely hope garrisons get an overhaul in coh3. And better defined roles for weapons...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★