Login

russian armor

Idea to fix brit lack of lategame indirect fire

4 Oct 2018, 20:22 PM

But here's the "use land mattress etc" argument again, if OKW got an MG, flame nade and P4 non doc then I don't see why brits should suffer so much with awkward to use base howitzers.

And USF got the Mortar as well.

Thinking about it now, the reason why nobody mentioned the mortar pit (except for that it was a badly designed unit reminiscent of the emplacement spam CoH Brits) was because it was far more effective and actually required micro to be good due to it's 4 types of shells.

I mean sure it was still static but it was better than having the current cripple of an easily counterable mortar pit.
4 Oct 2018, 21:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Oct 2018, 14:05 PMgbem

do you know how weak the brits are? grens can easily own IS thanks to their assortment of abilities cheapness and innate strength... killing the support of a mortar pit is too easy... if you as a OST-OKW player has trouble at doing this then the problem is with you

and here you are again... exagerating things to extreme.
I find mortar pits in a proper spot, they have the inconvenience of immobility. Wich makes them really hard to choose its final destination. Yet sturdy to most trheats, other mortars and also some stray infantry trying to wipe them. Compare that to mobile mortars and you just cant argue me.

4 Oct 2018, 21:54 PM

You mean like literally retreat once?

And a mortar pit will never destroy two ost mortars because it’ll be dead.

So if you see two ost mortars it’s easy to rush but it’s impossible to get into nade range of a mortar pit?

I have not said a mortar pit can kill two mortar squads... i dont get why people dont read sentences properly in these forums...
Neither i have say anything about nade range to a mortar pit. Jeez.

See two mortar squads against you? Nice, get your your IS and take all the land you want, literally he cant stop you. Aw i forgot if you pretend to hold a place standing still, i have bad news for you... he still have those mortars, remember? Anyway if you can get a centaur you almost won the game by that moment.
2 mortar squads mean 540 manpower drained to waste. No pak probably until its late.
4 Oct 2018, 21:59 PM

But here's the "use land mattress etc" argument again, if OKW got an MG, flame nade and P4 non doc then I don't see why brits should suffer so much with awkward to use base howitzers.

Simple, you start min 0 with 2 potential BASE HOWITZERS (just to remember you, no one else can get howitzers in base territory, unless you consider mobile ones).
2nd, if you are not willing to sacrifice some of your "strategies" in order to counter your enemies, you are asking nicely to get wiped out.
We can discuss a rework on UKF base howitzers, maybe, but dont act like they get the worst piece of the cake.
4 Oct 2018, 22:04 PM

I find mortar pits in a proper spot, they have the inconvenience of immobility. Wich makes them really hard to choose its final destination. Yet sturdy to most trheats, other mortars and also some stray infantry trying to wipe them. Compare that to mobile mortars and you just cant argue me.

I remember one match not long ago where we were on Achelous River in a 3v3 and a Brit guy tried to Advance Assembly Regiment Sim City us with at least 2 or 3 mortar pits, to which I quickly replied with 2 or 3 LeIGs of my own.

I just kept them spread out so he couldn't hit them all it once and even if he did recrew one LeIG I had 1 or 2 others firing at him, while he had the mortar pits braced half the time and I kept killing his Sappers trying to repair them so he lost wayyy more time, resources and nerves trying to just be a minor nuisance to us than it took me to counter him.

I'd link a replay but sadly I didn't record the game, but honestly I probably should have, it just proved the cripple which is the current mortar pit.

I think Planet Smasher's Artillery Pit (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=679152285&searchtext=Artillery+Pit) is a much more better and practical alternative which maintains the British uniqueness if not adds to it and it also fixes several issues with the Army.

First off you have a mobile mortar, meaning that it can provide smoke wherever is needed which is not the current case. Second it can work independently from the IS rather than having to throw a flare but be in suicidal range and keep in mind it's a lot less on demand indirect fire than a mobile mortar team would be.

Thirdly, the pit is kept but it's turned into a garrisonable emplacement which not only gives some additional "studiness" to the British mortars but also provides them with the special white phosphorus rounds as it costs 150 manpower and also gives the sappers their own unique "Trench" sort of structure which they can also use as cover for themselves.

So there you go, you hit 3 birds with one stone and it still maintains uniqueness if not adds to it even.
4 Oct 2018, 22:17 PM

A Soldier, great point, i agree with it all but i need to adress the only fact that LeIG have better performance against mortar pits due to its "support light howitzer" or for short cannon nature. Its even stated in their description IIRC they are effective against placements or buildings. They are basically high pitched cannons. I have to say i have done that myself so i believe you to say the least.

A rework to mortar pits could be interesting though. I am going to check the link now but i imagine if the "mortar squad" for UKF need first to "hull down" in order to shoot, having longer time than any other mortar could be a good starts.
4 Oct 2018, 22:37 PM

I have not said a mortar pit can kill two mortar squads... i dont get why people dont read sentences properly in these forums...
Neither i have say anything about nade range to a mortar pit. Jeez.

See two mortar squads against you? Nice, get your your IS and take all the land you want, literally he cant stop you. Aw i forgot if you pretend to hold a place standing still, i have bad news for you... he still have those mortars, remember? Anyway if you can get a centaur you almost won the game by that moment.
2 mortar squads mean 540 manpower drained to waste. No pak probably until its late.

You missed two of my points and failed to address the other one.

Direct quote from you: “if you let volks to flamenade your mortar pit then you did things horribly wrong...”

Oh really now. You didn’t say anything about nade range to a mortar pit? Another direct quote from you: “i dont get why people dont read sentences properly in these forums...” Jeez. Original point I made there was that you said if the ost guy gets 2 mortars you can easily go push him (with infantry sections lol) but also said that the Brit has messed up horribly if he lets a volk throw a nade at a mortar pit (a stationary emplacement). Non sequitur.

You said “2 ost mortars take quite a while to destoy a mortar pit” and I pointed out that the mortar pit will not be able to kill the ost mortars because the ost mortars will succeed and kill the mortar pit, which, unlike team mortars, cannot be recrewed. My point was that whether or not it takes “a while” (like, 2 minutes of good micro) to kill the pit is irrelevant because the pit will die and there’s not much you can do to prevent that since it can’t move and can’t get recrewed.

The funny thing about that argument is that you said that the ost guy still has those two mortars. Exactly. He has two mortars that were expensive, sure, but they just killed a 350mp mortar pit (and probably some engineer models trying to repair it) and can now go displace mgs and whack infantry/blobs completely unopposed, against a mainly defensive faction that relies on team weapons and line infantry just as much, if not more than ostheer. Chances are if the Brit had a mortar pit he doesn’t have any commandos, so lacks good assault infantry, and now doesn’t have any reliable indirect fire. There’s no way to swing it that ostheer hasn’t come out on top in this situation. If you don’t have any AT that’s an l2p issue and/or you’ve built way too much anti infantry units. If he sinks that much mp into a mortar pit that’s now gone, you can afford to build less infantry squads like pgrens and invest in AT instead (or just give your pgrens schrecks). If you lose the game to one centaur then that’s completely on you. Where’s your tank?

I don’t even use mortar pits in 1v1. They’re usually a bad investment that’s just going to go down the drain at some point and commandos are just so much more usable.
4 Oct 2018, 22:52 PM

You missed two of my points and failed to address the other one.

The funny thing about that argument is that you said that the ost guy still has those two mortars. Exactly. He has two mortars that were expensive, sure, but they just killed a 350mp mortar pit (and probably some engineer models trying to repair it) and can now go displace mgs and whack infantry/blobs completely unopposed, against a mainly defensive faction that relies on team weapons and line infantry just as much, if not more than ostheer. Chances are if the Brit had a mortar pit he doesn’t have any commandos, so lacks good assault infantry, and now doesn’t have any reliable indirect fire. There’s no way to swing it that ostheer hasn’t come out on top in this situation. If you don’t have any AT that’s an l2p issue and/or you’ve built way too much anti infantry units. If he sinks that much mp into a mortar pit that’s now gone, you can afford to build less infantry squads like pgrens and invest in AT instead (or just give your pgrens schrecks). If you lose the game to one centaur then that’s completely on you. Where’s your tank?

I don’t even use mortar pits in 1v1. They’re usually a bad investment that’s just going to go down the drain at some point and commandos are just so much more usable.

We are seeing things in a different way sir. I dont get mortar pits on 1v1 either. If i had to i would have never been against an OST with 2 mortars.
So to clearify my point, you dont just face mortars vs mortars in a silly fashion and expect to win. In 1v1 recon is but as important as your opening. Also you cant win 2v1 mortar fight, but you can find them, IS are not that bad when you outnumber them and then, either face them rushing in, or win the strategic game and get as much land as you can.

I know its not your case LoopDloop but many ppl just rush a mortar pit and expect that was a good choice, when it was not.
4 Oct 2018, 23:05 PM

We are seeing things in a different way sir. I dont get mortar pits on 1v1 either. If i had to i would have never been against an OST with 2 mortars.
So to clearify my point, you dont just face mortars vs mortars in a silly fashion and expect to win. In 1v1 recon is but as important as your opening. Also you cant win 2v1 mortar fight, but you can find them, IS are not that bad when you outnumber them and then, either face them rushing in, or win the strategic game and get as much land as you can.

I know its not your case LoopDloop but many ppl just rush a mortar pit and expect that was a good choice, when it was not.

Sure. But you did make it sound (forgive me if I misunderstood)) as if killing a mortar pit is extremely hard and puts the axis player at a disadvantage.

Point still stands that all other things being equal, ostheer will win this situation almost every time provided the Brit didn’t go commandos (which the most likely did not if they got a mortar pit) because the ostheer has 2 mortars and the Brit has no way of countering them.
5 Oct 2018, 00:53 AM

Actually losing a mortar squad is a rarity outside of 4v4 clowngames with shitloads of rocketarty firing... i have however punished many brit players making mortar pits via incendiary nades...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★