Login

russian armor

Universal Carrier vs Volks

18 Sep 2018, 17:41 PM

I wonder, does anyone actually uses UC for CARRYING things, like troops? Mostly i've seen it only to be transformed into fiery WASP later, or to serve as mobile suppresion platform. But i wonder, if you can put in engineers squad, flank to FHQ-medbase of OKW, then get some demochardges and take a quick getaway.
Or flank MG/pak-wall it with commandoes inside and wipe it out of existance.
19 Sep 2018, 00:11 AM

I wonder, does anyone actually uses UC for CARRYING things, like troops? Mostly i've seen it only to be transformed into fiery WASP later, or to serve as mobile suppresion platform. But i wonder, if you can put in engineers squad, flank to FHQ-medbase of OKW, then get some demochardges and take a quick getaway.
Or flank MG/pak-wall it with commandoes inside and wipe it out of existance.

Well engineers don’t acrually have demo charges and commandos are better off just utilizing stealth. The UC is usually either dead or upgraded by they time anyway. It’s decently useful for flanking lone mg42s (or even just rushing through their arc if need be) and then dropping off an infantry section right behind it in the very early game though.
19 Sep 2018, 07:39 AM

The UC has annoying acceleration where it speeds up super quickly and slows down really slowly, meaning if your concentration lapses for a second you can lose it. You're right though, not getting fausted is just practise with the unit.

Remember, you're units attack automatically, you don't need to tell them to attack so if you just move the UC within range it will kill things. If you don't let them snare it, it will munch on volks all day. Grenadiers are harder to deal with in my opinion because that 7% extra range bulletin is quite substantial and often catches me off guard which I don't think volks get (maybe?).

The panzerfaust deals about 55% damage or something, 2 fausts will kill it.
19 Sep 2018, 11:24 AM

Grens have a special version of the faust that is longer range than the standard one without the bulletin, which was a buff added during the old Sov sniper clown car days (along with the magic bullets ability to insta-kill light vehicles). Cruzz stats says it has a range of 30, versus the standard range of 20.

This make grens the biggest threat to the UC at the start of the game. However I do find that this tends to make grens a little over enthusiastic to faust the UC and you can often bait grens out of cover.
19 Sep 2018, 12:15 PM

isnt it the same with riflemen and kubel ?
19 Sep 2018, 13:00 PM

isnt it the same with riflemen and kubel ?

Rifles do not start with AT nades and are helpless against lights until vet1.
OKW still has ability to get puppchen out.
19 Sep 2018, 15:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2018, 13:00 PMKatitof

i know it i just made in as a question to look better
19 Sep 2018, 17:04 PM

.. Cruzz stats says it has a range of 30, versus the standard range of 20.

The range of the weapon and range of the ability are 2 different things. If in doubt you can load the test map and actually test to see what range the ability has.
19 Sep 2018, 17:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2018, 17:04 PMVipper

The range of the weapon and range of the ability are 2 different things. If in doubt you can load the test map and actually test to see what range the ability has.

I was under the impression the ability range is 20 vs 15 on the volk faust right?

30 range is very long. I believe small arms range is like 35.
19 Sep 2018, 20:21 PM

The range of the weapon in this case would only effect pen correct?
19 Sep 2018, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Sep 2018, 13:00 PMKatitof

Which in itself is hopeless until vet lol.

Uc is fine, making it weaker wouldn't justify its upgrade costs and horrible patching.
20 Sep 2018, 08:40 AM

I was under the impression the ability range is 20 vs 15 on the volk faust right?

30 range is very long. I believe small arms range is like 35.

Yes, 20 and 15 does sound correct. Pity ability range is not listed in the stat files.
20 Sep 2018, 14:17 PM

The range of the weapon in this case would only effect pen correct?

yes penetration should be affected some other values also, but the range to use the ability is depended on the ability and not the weapon itself.
20 Sep 2018, 15:50 PM

Just as a reminder, the UC was nerffed recently, it lost almost half of it armor, and it lost a bit of range (down to 30 now). It's one of the many small contributing factors to how underplayed the british faction is.

It's your fault if you get fausted, but I've been noticing the amount of damage from small arms fire on the UC is pretty high. It's sort of a necessity for a lot of brits because it's the only non-doctrinal access to flame weaponry which can make you defendant on building heavy maps.
20 Sep 2018, 21:00 PM

This small arms fire is getting at my point. Fausting happens, you can attribute maybe 70% of this to operator error but at LEAST 30% has to do with inevitability/ wonky acceleration control issues. But anyways, very rarely does a UC go into battle with perfectly full health due to small arms fire, leaving you at say just under 200 hp, then when the faust comes, you're below half hp, which means engine crit time, every time. Then it's open season
20 Sep 2018, 21:13 PM

This small arms fire is getting at my point. Fausting happens, you can attribute maybe 70% of this to operator error but at LEAST 30% has to do with inevitability/ wonky acceleration control issues. But anyways, very rarely does a UC go into battle with perfectly full health due to small arms fire, leaving you at say just under 200 hp, then when the faust comes, you're below half hp, which means engine crit time, every time. Then it's open season

Even when your UC is at 100% hp a faust means engine damage because it does enough to bring it under 70%.
20 Sep 2018, 21:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2018, 15:50 PMKharn
Just as a reminder, the UC was nerffed recently, it lost almost half of it armor, and it lost a bit of range (down to 30 now). It's one of the many small contributing factors to how underplayed the british faction is.

Universal Carrier
• Front armor reduced from 10 to 7
• Rear armor reduced from 5 to 4.1

Not almost half of it.
20 Sep 2018, 21:38 PM

2 pages of comments in such thread? Mmmmkay. Keep it far (moreover it's efficient that way), screen with inf; volks faust range << uc sight - so that statement basically is a bullpudding. Not to say lonely charge into FOW is a bad idea even with tanks. And who's to blame if you got flanked or ambushed, huh?
20 Sep 2018, 23:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Sep 2018, 21:13 PMFarlon

Even when your UC is at 100% hp a faust means engine damage because it does enough to bring it under 70%.

Pleas re-read the post; the 70% wasn't referring to hp, it was referring to the likelihood of fausting from wholly avoidable circumstances. I think people are being a bit disingenuous by saying "just keep it far back." obviously that is always the goal, but there is a saying "the only way a turtle gets anywhere is by sticking its neck out." Yes, I am threadsitting here, apologies if this offends the etiquette here, but I'd like to think people here are not so easily offended (wishful thinking, perhaps).
21 Sep 2018, 01:00 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Only the UC WASP flamer range was nerfed IIRC.

Gren panzerfaust range is 18. With the bulletin its ~19 (19.26).

Volks panzerfaust, conscript AT nade, AT section HEAT nade, and riflemen AT nade have 15 range (iirc, very confident in this). None of these snares have any bulletins that increase their range, as the conscript AT nade bulletin only applies to the Tank Hunter mini at nades (again, iirc).

AT sections HEAT nade used to have 20 range before it was nerfed.

As for personal opinions, this "issue" isn't unique to the UC. Every light tank and below (besides the valentine) gets snared with a single faust. Sure, a lot of these vehicles can't be finished off with rifle fire afterwards, but I'd imagine thats part of why you're paying 60-70 more fuel from them than you do for the UC. Food for thought: the UC, without any upgrades, has roughly the same DPS as the m20, m3, and wc51 at 20 range (the minimum range you want to be keeping any of these vehicles at when there are fausts involved). Beyond this range, the UC scales up to 3-4 times the DPS of these other vehicles.

Honestly, consider it a high skill cap vehicle if you need to. If you don't play well enough to keep it from fausts, then it's going to die in the first engagement, having done nothing. If you do play well enough to keep it from fausts, it'll be borderline oppressive in the early game. Of course, this depend on map and faction matchup which is fine to an extent.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★