Login

russian armor

Universal Carrier vs Volks

18 Sep 2018, 03:44 AM

Am I missing something, or does one volks snare take away nearly all of the bren carrier's health, to the point where-- even if you are retreating for a full second or two BEFORE they even fire the thing, it will hit you (100% chance if memory serves), engine crit you, and then they can easily follow you and finish you off with its gun, unsupported?

I'm open to hearing strategy to dealing with this, although I suspect it has to do with balance that could be addressed by making the snare miss more often (ie, through a smaller UC hit box), or at the very least not having it result in an engine crit every. single. time.

Here's a scenario that plays out quite often. You're microing your fragile UC. All of a sudden, a volks pops up in your true sight. You hit and click U, IMMEDIATELY, but the volks has also clicked and hit their snare. Your UC is pretty much dead as it beats a slow retreat.

It seems to me there needs to be a way to involve skill in the equation. Say you've hit reverse a certain amount of time before the volks fires their snare. I think an amicable solution would be to have the snare miss a certain (high) percentage of the time. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas (armor buffs, increasing price of panzerfaust munition to 40 or 50, drastically lowering the chance of engine crit, etc)

18 Sep 2018, 03:56 AM

Having snares able to miss is a big no no. (The thing that they occasionally do is a bug)
Are u sure it really does so MUCH damage? Isnt it like 40% HP left, in which case any supporting unit would push the volks off before they can finish it?
18 Sep 2018, 04:43 AM
Director of Moderation Badge

I honestly expected this thread to be talking about the difficulty of taking on Vickers upgraded UCs, but NEIN.

The skill part of the equation is keeping distance from volks and sight blockers. If you think a volks could pop around a sight blocker, don't go near it.
18 Sep 2018, 04:46 AM

How about you just keep at ranges > 20 ?
18 Sep 2018, 05:04 AM

Having snares able to miss is a big no no. (The thing that they occasionally do is a bug)
Are u sure it really does so MUCH damage? Isnt it like 40% HP left, in which case any supporting unit would push the volks off before they can finish it?

I don't have the figures, do you? I'd like to see.

As to your notion that any supporting unit would push the volks off, many times the UC is flaming an mg while your supporting units are pinned, so they can't push the volks off, no.

18 Sep 2018, 05:06 AM

Maybe don’t let your UC get snared?

Also it has way more armor than the clown car or kubelwagen or dodge so it’s not exactly “fragile”. It does get insta killed by pgrens with schrecks but that’s not a big deal as they come much later anyway.

But seriously the thing’s practically invincible for like the first 5-6 minutes as long as you’re not being kinda dumb and they don’t get an early rak.
18 Sep 2018, 05:09 AM

How about you just keep at ranges > 20 ?

isn't the visual range only 30? so that gives you a narrow range of 10 to creep forward, which is not really how the UC rolls (controls).
18 Sep 2018, 05:11 AM

isn't the visual range only 30? so that gives you a narrow range of 10 to creep forward, which is not really how the UC rolls (controls).

So try supporting it with other units. It’s not supposed to win you the game by itself. Fausting and mg42 incendiary rounds are pretty much the only cost effective counters to the UC in the early game. Learn to avoid them.
18 Sep 2018, 05:11 AM

I honestly expected this thread to be talking about the difficulty of taking on Vickers upgraded UCs, but NEIN.

The skill part of the equation is keeping distance from volks and sight blockers. If you think a volks could pop around a sight blocker, don't go near it.

So, never use the Universal Carrier literally anywhere in Lienne Forest. Got it.
18 Sep 2018, 05:19 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

I really don't want to step into this, but I'll give a few facts to help those who already did.

Sight range for nearly all units in the game is 35 (common knowledge and also verifiable in the source provided).

Volks' panzerfaust range is 15 (slightly less common knowledge, don't have a source to provide, but anyone who knows what they're talking about would assure you that's correct) and deals 100 damage (common knowledge).

UC health is 240.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7gwy65JLbSRMEJ3M2ZPandMMW8/view?usp=sharing

edit: When considering whether or not the UC has enough room to work with (that spot in between ranges 15-35), keep note of the fact that the UC has higher damage output the further away it is. Getting closer is strictly worse than shooting from max range.
18 Sep 2018, 05:20 AM

So, never use the Universal Carrier literally anywhere in Lienne Forest. Got it.

I mean, basically yeah unless you REQUIRE the WASP to dislodge MG42s. But the thing about chasing things down is that the effectivness of things chasing drops like lead when you have a supporting infantry squad. Try chasing a sniper while an infantry squad is shooting you. effectivness threat goes from 100 -> 0 real quick.

and if you're this kebab^^ The sniper will just hit you on retreat wiping all your shit anyways. :nahnah:
18 Sep 2018, 05:29 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

and if you're this kebab^^ The sniper will just hit you on retreat wiping all your shit anyways. :nahnah:

Relic gives me free incendiary shot at vet 0 for no munition cost :nahnah:
18 Sep 2018, 05:34 AM

18 Sep 2018, 05:38 AM

Odd...What´s the matter with Volksgrens here? Grenadiers have longer range on thier faust + they can equip a bulletin which increases it even further. Seems like a complete L2P issue, I am sorry.

There are lots of stupid things in COH2 but UC being at risk of getting snared is not one of them.
18 Sep 2018, 05:50 AM

Not asking them not to get snared; it's the range of the faust combined with the fact that it seems to guarantee an engine crit. Also, I play at low resolution to ensure faster gameplay... as far as I can tell there's no animation that the faust is coming up, is this correct?
18 Sep 2018, 05:51 AM

Not asking them not to get snared; it's the range of the faust combined with the fact that it seems to guarantee an engine crit. Also, I play at low resolution to ensure faster gameplay... as far as I can tell there's no animation that the faust is coming up, is this correct?

No, there is an animation of a squad member pulling a faust out their magical backpack and firing it.
18 Sep 2018, 05:57 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Sep 2018, 05:34 AMblancat
USE RAKETEN

Congratulations you didn't read the opening post at all
18 Sep 2018, 06:02 AM

Speaking of raketen, the funny thing is I've had a lot of success with the universal carrier and I'm skilled enough to keep it alive fighting off raketen and shreck pios with my supporting cast, and even react to the rapid health drain of the mg incendiary rounds. I literally remind myself to keep the same distance I try to keep from volks' snares (and same reaction time to retreat), and it works out fine. :D Better, in fact, than with volks, so...
18 Sep 2018, 15:58 PM

Engine crit is exactly the same for every single light vehicle. That's a basic game mechanic.

And yes, the range of the faust is indeed pretty short, 15 range makes it impossible for Volks to faust you unless you get ambushed or overcommit.

I play on lowest resolution as well, maybe your monitor is too small or you're just not paying attention? When the Volks squad is preparing to faust you have plenty of time to start retreating. Faust will still hit but you'll be safe if you pulled back early.
18 Sep 2018, 17:02 PM

The animation is 5 guys running toward your UC lmao.

And it does guarantee engine damage the UC.

No offense, but this is definitely an l2p issue. I use the UC all the time and have never thought it was bs or anything on the rare occasion it gets fausted. The UC has decent acceleration and a long range so there’s no reason it should get snared that often if you’re paying attention.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 26
Peru 5
unknown 8
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %