Login

russian armor

120mm spam

18 Sep 2013, 21:38 PM

Spamming 120mm mortars seems to be a quite valid strat in 2v2. I have encountered it quite often the last few games but I have yet to try it out myself...

Does anyone have some experience using this strat?
18 Sep 2013, 21:40 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I built two of them in a 2v2 last night. Our opponents countered with the Mortar HT and it's incendiary rounds. This was an excellent counter, and they wound up winning the game. We had to change up our strat to get the best of them in the rematch.
18 Sep 2013, 22:21 PM

Mortar spam is quite common on the forrested maps. Like Minsk. Any kind of mortar, that is.

The 120mm is rather unprecise. So all though it has good splash damage, I'm not sure it's worth spamming.
18 Sep 2013, 23:05 PM
Donator 11

A really good way to counter the 120mm mortar is the incendiary round of the mortar HT. It forces the enemy to keep on watching his mortars and forces him to switch positions really often, just keep on firing them.

It was really effectiv in 2vs2 and also in 1vs1, but there isnt a mortar spam really often
19 Sep 2013, 07:39 AM

I built two of them in a 2v2 last night. Our opponents countered with the Mortar HT and it's incendiary rounds. This was an excellent counter, and they wound up winning the game. We had to change up our strat to get the best of them in the rematch.

Interestingly enough I always found the 120mm to be very accurate and powerful, but I never saw use in building more than one of them .

So I guess it's finally time for me to try out Festung Support, although I hate everything else this doctrine brings...

Is there any viable method to actually destroy the mortar? I often manage to decrew them, but since they're always setup in "enemy" theritory they ar soon recrewed by cheap conscripts and the whole thing starts for a new.
19 Sep 2013, 08:40 AM

It's not supposed to be easy to capture enemy equipment deep behind lines. I don't know what you mean by 'viable', but ofc. you need to time your decrewing by having a unit nearby.

One way could be to use a HT with an infantry unit in it. Most players build HTs in the early game and when tanks arrive, they never return to it, but I have found that it pays to keep one for special occasions and use it late game deep strikes where noone expects to see it.
19 Sep 2013, 10:16 AM
Strategist Badge
Donator 11

NoLuckyStrike and I keep facing a lot of 120mm spam in our 2v2s however one mortar ht with incendiary rounds is the perfect counter every time. Also good vs sniper spam as well.
19 Sep 2013, 11:53 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Is there any viable method to actually destroy the mortar?

If you want to destroy them permanently, the best way is to take something like a P4, Ostwind, or a 222 scout car, click "Attack Move", and then click on the mortar gun once the crew is dead. Your vehicle will attack the gun itself until it explodes. Granted, this isn't easy if the mortar was set up deep in enemy territory.
19 Sep 2013, 15:09 PM

If you want to destroy them permanently, the best way is to take something like a P4, Ostwind, or a 222 scout car, click "Attack Move", and then click on the mortar gun once the crew is dead. Your vehicle will attack the gun itself until it explodes. Granted, this isn't easy if the mortar was set up deep in enemy territory.

Yeah I know. I actually hoped that there might be some way to do the job quicker.

I dont know, but It might be interesting if decrewed/droped weapons (excluding pak) could be crushed by medium/heavy vehicles?!
19 Sep 2013, 23:29 PM

I dont know, but It might be interesting if decrewed/droped weapons (excluding pak) could be crushed by medium/heavy vehicles?!

That could open up for some pretty interesting plays. It would be a risky thing to do to be sure.
21 Sep 2013, 16:57 PM

i find that pgrens with shreks can destroy decrewed team weapons faster than tanks
23 Sep 2013, 08:39 AM

The 120mm is rather unprecise.

I dont think it's unprecise. I have seen 120 morter rounds land right on my mortar ht and destroy it.
23 Sep 2013, 11:55 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

That's just unlucky on your part. I find the 120 is very hit or miss. Good for shock effect but normal mortars are much more precise.
23 Sep 2013, 13:18 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Sep 2013, 08:39 AMAbdul

I dont think it's unprecise. I have seen 120 morter rounds land right on my mortar ht and destroy it.

It's possible that the other guy was using the Precision Strike vet 1 ability. 45 muni and the shot lands pretty much exactly where you tell it to.

(Precision strike is 30 muni for the regular mortar, btw)
23 Sep 2013, 14:27 PM

That's just unlucky on your part. I find the 120 is very hit or miss. Good for shock effect but normal mortars are much more precise.

No it happened several times where a 120mm mortar shell would land on it or near it and damage it. If there is 2 of them shooting at the same place it gets wild.
23 Sep 2013, 14:28 PM

It's possible that the other guy was using the Precision Strike vet 1 ability. 45 muni and the shot lands pretty much exactly where you tell it to.

(Precision strike is 30 muni for the regular mortar, btw)

The precision strike on the 120mm is broken since 3 patches ago when they made changes to the unit. It lands far from target now.
27 Sep 2013, 17:44 PM

I don't think it's broken. Tried it in the last few 2v2 games it's awesome but you yet have to babysit the mortars so they don't get sneakraped.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 110
unknown 33
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak