Login

russian armor

Zis3 in a bad state?

21 Aug 2018, 05:37 AM

For quite some time I've had my doubts about this unit. It constantly lets me down

- Its expensive: 320mp you either chose guards, another support weapon or this thing.
- Its so slow it has to be called on read and not on reaction. And its hard.
- Its aim time and overall fire rate its abysmal. Light vehicles and Tanks can travel its arc of fire most of the time. The zis has a really bad time finishing off armored units
- Struggles with terrain: terrain bumps op

On the plus side
- Good penetration: It can fight everything but the heavier axis armor (and can penetrate KT quite reliably from the side at mid-long range)
- Vet2 power spike: it can fire as fast as a vet2 raketen. So it can eventually overcome its key weakness
- 6 men squad: good survival to preserve its MANDATORY veterancy
- Has a barrage: quite hit and miss but sometimes it drops some models. You get a better run for your ammo if you use it against squads in yellow cover

I'm on the fence about its weird Vet1 ability Tracking. Yes, I've won matches by using yuri's psychic powers to reveal cloaked raketens and weapon crews but overall I think it would benefit more from having a small buff to its ROF at vet1

Also I found the Su76 better in most situations because its overall a better unit thats only weakness its being a vehicle and its weaker damage(120 vs zis 160). Su76 also synergize better with guards thanks to the button ability

21 Aug 2018, 06:59 AM

It's fine...slightly worse AT performance than Pak40 but 6 men crew and barrage. It's not that effective vs. LV but no AT gun really is.
21 Aug 2018, 18:26 PM

In many ways it's actually my favourite AT gun simply because of it's utility. I here you on the barrage but it's one of the best area denial abilities in the early game imo.
22 Aug 2018, 03:17 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd say that it's a great AT gun for its utility. Of course, you get an anti-light vehicle stopgap (Guards/Dank Hunters/PTRS Penals) beforehand, and as the P4 timing approaches you get a Zis-3.

Also, what do you mean when you say "Su76 also synergize better with guards thanks to the button ability"?
22 Aug 2018, 04:52 AM

Guards button can save the Su76 from diving P4s and help finish off vehicles (mostly because the Su doesnt have to set up before firing) and the PTRS help compensate the reduced damage it does before vet2.

Soft AT works against ostheer light vehicles, but OKW light vehicles force you into a Zis because they can pin your units and escape using smoke or have opressive firepower and mobility. Also the raketen its always there waiting to burst your fragile Su76
22 Aug 2018, 05:25 AM

ZiS is fine IMO. The terrain issues (road bumps) are the only thing I agree with you on, but that effects all anti-tank.

Same price as the pak40 in a cheaper tier. The pak40 is definitely the better AT gun but the ZiS can be more useful as others have said.

Veterancy is mandatory for most AT guns for them to useful late game. I'd say the US AT gun needs that more than any of the others.
22 Aug 2018, 11:17 AM

ZiS is fine IMO. The terrain issues (road bumps) are the only thing I agree with you on, but that effects all anti-tank.

Same price as the pak40 in a cheaper tier. The pak40 is definitely the better AT gun but the ZiS can be more useful as others have said.

Veterancy is mandatory for most AT guns for them to useful late game. I'd say the US AT gun needs that more than any of the others.

That; In a nut shell is bang on.
17 Sep 2018, 15:42 PM

It's the utility of the gun that makes it feel "worse" as it's primarily role often feels like AT but it's survivability, and utility makes the AT capabilities slightly less.

Yeah, we'd likely prefer to have Weak Point stun, and superior pen/accuracy. But imagine when that rifle nade goes off you lose the AT gun? 6 man crews means the AT gun isn't dying easily. Lets you hold onto veterancy, it also has a longer aim/reload time.

the ZiS Barrage is great tho, you can even help w/ blob control.
17 Sep 2018, 16:55 PM

If you get it vetted, it is very good. Consider that a vet 3 zis is a nightmare as it has 6 men crew.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★